login

Poll

What do you, Rifftrax fan, think of fan fiction?

I read fan fiction
I read and write fan fiction
I enjoy authorized 'extended universe' books and productions, but not fan fiction
I only watch the authorized television shows and movies, I avoid  everything else

Author Topic: Fan Fiction?  (Read 31204 times)

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
Re: Fan Fiction?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 03:42:39 PM »

Ratliff? Never heard of him.

Really? well your a lucky one, cause then you wouldn't have to know of his unholy fetish for Marrissa Picard, made even more wrong that he eventually pairs her with Wesley Crusher, who if I remember correctly is her Step-brother.

No, I believe you're thinking of Westly Chrusher.

Oh, and following that link will lead you to the Ratliffian wonderland of mistings.

Offline Matt B

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
    • The Stephen Ratliff Misting Archive
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »

Nope. Never heard of Marrissa Amber Flores Picard Gordon either.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
Stepped into that one, didn't I?

Offline Matt B

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »
Yep.

Nice to be remembered though.

BTW: Let me plug Keith Palmer's Misting Mine which has a good chunk of the mistings that were ever posted to the long gone Web Site #9.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
Oooo, if we're plugging MiSTings, mind if I linkdrop Megane 6.7's stuff?  He does some great work, and is famous for the discovery of Oscar, the hermaphroditic fancharacter in Sailor Moon.  A MSTing For All Seasons

And, of course, no conversation about MSTings is complete without at least one reference to the infamous Eye Of Argon.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
I might as well chime in.

I enjoy fanfic, but only certain types. Sure, someone can write a well written story that fits in well with established canon and/or sheds light on the personality of a key character. But those aren't my type of stories.

No, I like the stories that take real talent to create. The ones who miss the mark of the original subject so completely that you have to wonder if they've even seen the thing that they're allegedly writing about.  Things like:

• Writing a Star Trek story centering around horse racing
  • Taking the cast of X-Files and putting them (as adults) in a high school musical version of "Grease"
  • Having Bart Simpson run away from home and hook up with a teenage runaway
  • And then giving Lisa Simpson a previously unknown twin sister who was stolen away from Marge at birth and trained to become a government assassin
  • Taking Daria (from MTV) and putting her in a techno-thriller. Along with the kids from Sailor Moon.
  • Having Doctor Who take on the cast of Peanuts
  • A Sailor Moon/ The Color of Money crossover.
  • The stories where the author professes her love for Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold.
  • Back to the X-Files. Wouldn't it be great if Mulder and Scully came across Gilligan's Island? Well, at least six other people have written stories about it. And each of them treated the concept completely seriously.
  • The mega cross-over between Star Trek and King Gidorah. And MASH. And Lost in Space. And Buffy.
  • And who needs the main characters? I'm sure that readers would rather read about Krychek. Or Team Rocket, Or Ensign Rand. Or Marrow. Or that one guy standing next to Legolas in Helm's Deep who didn't have any lines, yet somehow someone wrote 1400 pages about him.
  • Along the same lines, who wants to read about the actual cast members anyway? I'm sure that people would rather read about Sailor Earth or Sailor Juno. Or Cartman's cousin. Or Eric Simpson, Maggie's younger brother. Or a strange teenaged girl who falls into Middle Earth and falls in luv with Aragorn and vice versa. Or the new, male slayer. Or the uber-powerful new member of the X-men. Or the guy who repairs the doors on the Enterprise. (Actually, that one was pretty well done.)  
  • And the pairings. Of course Harry Potter is secretly in love with Herminone. Unless he's in love with Cho in this one. Or Luna. Or Ron. Or maybe it's a Potter/ Draco Malfoy story. And just because the author has never shown any hint that Snape and Herminone are in love doesn't mean that they don't have a passion for each other that burns with the fiery heat of a thousand suns...
  • And of course, the folks who just miss the point completely. The ones who write the Simpsons as a drama. Or 24 as a romance. Or Dawson's Creek as a soap opera.

I love these trainwrecks of stories. They're much more memorable than the good stuff.

And hypothetically, I might have written fanfiction about a certain TV puppet show  that popped around various cable channels. But I'm not saying which one.

Compound, you wrote MSTings?  Any I might've heard of?  I wrote a couple myself, which in retrospect aren't as funny as I thought they were when I was writing them.  I also wrote a Harry Potter fanfic parody, which I think succeeds in being as stupid as it tries to be.  Also back in high school I wrote a Digimon parody starring myself and several random classmates, though since it was written longhand in one of my notebooks, I doubt it'll ever be seen by anyone other than myself.

If anyone would be interested in reading my crappy Harry Potter fanfic, please direct your browsers to the following URL:

http://daltysmilth.blogspot.com/2005/08/harry-potter-and-unoriginal-crossover.html
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »
Yep.

Nice to be remembered though.

BTW: Let me plug Keith Palmer's Misting Mine which has a good chunk of the mistings that were ever posted to the long gone Web Site #9.

I worked with Keith on one or two mstings actually, and if I'm not mistaken, I think he might still have one I edited on his site.  It's called "Columbine's Most Wanted".
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »
While we're on the subject of MST3K fanfics, does anybody recall the infamous Joel x Mike slashfic? =o
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 07:06:47 PM »
I might as well chime in.

I enjoy fanfic, but only certain types. Sure, someone can write a well written story that fits in well with established canon and/or sheds light on the personality of a key character. But those aren't my type of stories.

No, I like the stories that take real talent to create. The ones who miss the mark of the original subject so completely that you have to wonder if they've even seen the thing that they're allegedly writing about.  Things like:

• Writing a Star Trek story centering around horse racing
  • Taking the cast of X-Files and putting them (as adults) in a high school musical version of "Grease"

[li]Having Bart Simpson run away from home and hook up with a teenage runaway[/li][/list]

• And then giving Lisa Simpson a previously unknown twin sister who was stolen away from Marge at birth and trained to become a government assassin
  • Taking Daria (from MTV) and putting her in a techno-thriller. Along with the kids from Sailor Moon.
  • Having Doctor Who take on the cast of Peanuts
  • A Sailor Moon/ The Color of Money crossover.
  • The stories where the author professes her love for Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold.
  • Back to the X-Files. Wouldn't it be great if Mulder and Scully came across Gilligan's Island? Well, at least six other people have written stories about it. And each of them treated the concept completely seriously.
  • The mega cross-over between Star Trek and King Gidorah. And MASH. And Lost in Space. And Buffy.
  • And who needs the main characters? I'm sure that readers would rather read about Krychek. Or Team Rocket, Or Ensign Rand. Or Marrow. Or that one guy standing next to Legolas in Helm's Deep who didn't have any lines, yet somehow someone wrote 1400 pages about him.
  • Along the same lines, who wants to read about the actual cast members anyway? I'm sure that people would rather read about Sailor Earth or Sailor Juno. Or Cartman's cousin. Or Eric Simpson, Maggie's younger brother. Or a strange teenaged girl who falls into Middle Earth and falls in luv with Aragorn and vice versa. Or the new, male slayer. Or the uber-powerful new member of the X-men. Or the guy who repairs the doors on the Enterprise. (Actually, that one was pretty well done.)  
  • And the pairings. Of course Harry Potter is secretly in love with Herminone. Unless he's in love with Cho in this one. Or Luna. Or Ron. Or maybe it's a Potter/ Draco Malfoy story. And just because the author has never shown any hint that Snape and Herminone are in love doesn't mean that they don't have a passion for each other that burns with the fiery heat of a thousand suns...
  • And of course, the folks who just miss the point completely. The ones who write the Simpsons as a drama. Or 24 as a romance. Or Dawson's Creek as a soap opera.

I love these trainwrecks of stories. They're much more memorable than the good stuff.

And hypothetically, I might have written fanfiction about a certain TV puppet show  that popped around various cable channels. But I'm not saying which one.

Didn't this actually happen in a simpsons episode recently, because I swear I saw something really close to it.

Offline Matt B

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:27 PM »
I'm afraid I can't recall that one. Did it come out in the Usenet age or did it pop up on a forum?

(Okay, popping up may have been an unfortunate way to refer to that...)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »

[li]Having Bart Simpson run away from home and hook up with a teenage runaway[/li][/list]

Didn't this actually happen in a simpsons episode recently, because I swear I saw something really close to it.

The show may have done something close to it. (The episode where Bart escapes from Juvenile hall with Sarah Michelle Gellar sounds fairly similar.) But the tone of the fanfic was much different than a Simpsons episode.

See, back in the ancient past (back when Bill Clinton was President), the Simpsons fans who wrote fanfic seemed to not get the whole "Simpsons is a comedy" thing. A large number of them wrote fanfic for the show as if it was a drama. Or, more accurately, a soap opera with the appropriate amount of melodrama. The plot for that particular fanscript went like this: Bart has a big fight with Marge and runs away from home and convinces Milhouse to do so as well. They hit the road and run into two female runaways (who were around 16, IIRC. Bart was still 10 or so.) and they all fell in love. Marge catches up with Bart, they fight again, and Bart storms off, changing his name and never again associating with his family. The end. I'm pretty sure that the actual show would have a slightly more upbeat ending.

I'd direct you to the actual fanfic, but unfortunately in the late 90s and earlier in this decade, Fox had a nasty habit of sending cease & desist letters to Simpsons fanfic sites, resulting in them dumping their archives and also resulting in a lack of fanfic from that era on the net. And I neglected to save a copy of this one after finding it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
See, back in the ancient past (back when Bill Clinton was President), the Simpsons fans who wrote fanfic seemed to not get the whole "Simpsons is a comedy" thing. A large number of them wrote fanfic for the show as if it was a drama. Or, more accurately, a soap opera with the appropriate amount of melodrama.

I've read a Roseanne fanfic that was like that, only it was set before the season that never happened. Or rather it was written as if that season indeed never happened but the feel of the story seemed to be taken from the final episode. Wretched.

Offline BeautifulMind

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »
I'm writing an MST fanfic right now.  I don't read it too often 'cause it's often hard to slog through.  But naturally it's genius when I do it.   :)
Contest winning limerick on the subject of my choosingBy Bill Corbett

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
Well that answers Fuzzy's earlier question  ;)

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2008, 07:52:42 PM »

The show may have done something close to it. (The episode where Bart escapes from Juvenile hall with Sarah Michelle Gellar sounds fairly similar.) But the tone of the fanfic was much different than a Simpsons episode.

See, back in the ancient past (back when Bill Clinton was President), the Simpsons fans who wrote fanfic seemed to not get the whole "Simpsons is a comedy" thing. A large number of them wrote fanfic for the show as if it was a drama. Or, more accurately, a soap opera with the appropriate amount of melodrama. The plot for that particular fanscript went like this: Bart has a big fight with Marge and runs away from home and convinces Milhouse to do so as well. They hit the road and run into two female runaways (who were around 16, IIRC. Bart was still 10 or so.) and they all fell in love. Marge catches up with Bart, they fight again, and Bart storms off, changing his name and never again associating with his family. The end. I'm pretty sure that the actual show would have a slightly more upbeat ending.

I'd direct you to the actual fanfic, but unfortunately in the late 90s and earlier in this decade, Fox had a nasty habit of sending cease & desist letters to Simpsons fanfic sites, resulting in them dumping their archives and also resulting in a lack of fanfic from that era on the net. And I neglected to save a copy of this one after finding it.

Actually the episode I'm thinking of was something like this, (Keep in mind my memory of it is vague). After Homer teaches a ten year old Bart to Drive or something like that as in the episode he actually picks up his next Love interest (At leat for this episode) who is actually several years older than he is, (I believe actually around fifteen or sixteen) while driving. anyways I think Bart gets into a fight with Homer and runs away, but not before he steals Homer's car. well he does meet up with the girl who later turns out to be pregnant, and somehow gets Bart to settle down with her or something of the sort. I actually can't remember much after that, but your discription of the fic still sounds like a more simpsonized version of the episode.