Author Topic: Is the Price Right?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline lapager1

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Is the Price Right?
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »
Let's get to business. It's a given that the Price is Right's new host will be worse than Bob Barker. However, who should be the next host??? Of the mentioned possibilities that I have heard, John O'Hurley would be my pick. Rosie O'Donnell doesn't annoy me as much as she does other people, but I don't think she'd be a good fit. Marc Summers would be awesome, though. Hmmm....
"How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech."  --Soren Kierkegaard

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Is the Price Right?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »

Spaaaak

Barker's  Shatner's Beauties

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »
Dude - Shatner is the best contender by far
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:31:32 PM »
I thought Dan Patrick from ESPN (who is leaving in August) was the leading candidate.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:53 PM »
Seriously?!
The Dan Patrick Show is awesome... that really sucks he's leaving, hope he continues to work

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3741
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:27:35 PM »
How about

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:16:57 AM »
Regis still has a lot of zombie-years ahead of him, I think. He should take the reigns from Zombie Barker. :^)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »
I'm not sure who the right candidate for the job is, but it ain't John O'Hurley.  I like him as an actor, but I caught him on Family Feud recently, and he's pretty awful as a game show host.  He's appropriately schmaltzy, but it seems like he's faking it.

The next host of The Price is Right must be naturally schmaltzy.  He also must harbor a burning desire to separate house pets from their testicles.  This, I think, eliminates Shatner.  He certainly has the schmaltz down pat, but I suspect he's morally opposed to removing the testicles from anything.  Or, for that matter, even considering the existence of testicles other than his own.

How 'bout Jm J. Bullock?  He's schmaltzy, he's no stranger to balls, and it would be kind of funny to have a host who's more emotional about the game than his contestants.  I could see him breaking down into histrionic tears after a particularly bad round of Plinko.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:58:55 AM by Steve-O »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »
I am sticking by my Dan Patrick guess.   He was talking about it on his radio show how the producers asked him to come down to audition for it.    But by saying that, he might have been just mocking it, so who knows if he even wants to?

I would think the Film Crew should do it.   Can you imagine the riffing they could do on the contests and their goofy guesses?

Offline lapager1

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 10:50:34 PM »
I'm not sure who the right candidate for the job is, but it ain't John O'Hurley.  I like him as an actor, but I caught him on Family Feud recently, and he's pretty awful as a game show host.  He's appropriately schmaltzy, but it seems like he's faking it.

He definitely can pour on the schmaltz to a fault.

I imagine they will be looking for someone who would be a good fit for the long-haul (assuming that said host is decent). I'm sure the producers want to avoid following in the footsteps of modern Family Feud, alternating between D-list stars every season. Thus, the host would probably need to be willing to clear their horizons, or at least willing to cram their horizons, with the Price as the focus.
"How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech."  --Soren Kierkegaard

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »
   They need somebody as crazy as the contestants.  I nominate Richard Simmons.  In his little shorts.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »
How about

I'm sure we'd still get an animal welfare lecture at the end of the show, plus Betty White rocks IMO

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 05:40:20 AM »

Well, speaking of "Family Feud", did you ever see the show when it was hosted by Al from "Home Improvement"?

I always liked Richard Karn.  Always seemed warm and sincere toward the families.  Never understood why they replaced him.

Problem is, the perfect person IMHO to take over is fully booked on ABC - this would be perfect for Tom Bergeron.   :clap:

How 'bout Jm J. Bullock?  He's schmaltzy, he's no stranger to balls, and it would be kind of funny to have a host who's more emotional about the game than his contestants.  I could see him breaking down into histrionic tears after a particularly bad round of Plinko.

I'd rather have Rosie O'Donnell.  And I'd rather have an non-stop Colonoscopy than watch Rosie O'Donnell.

And before anyone thinks that it's "sexual orientation related" - I like Bullock as an actor and a game show guest.  Think he'd wear thin over the course of an hour every day.   And I've hated O'Donnell since she was a VJ on VH1 years ago.  She's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »

I always liked Richard Karn.  Always seemed warm and sincere toward the families.  Never understood why they replaced him.

2nd! by the way I am a huge Family Feud fan own the NES and PS2 versions of the game

Offline lapager1

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »
From IMDb:

"CBS has narrowed the field of possible candidates to replace Bob Barker as host of The Price Is Right to two, the New York Post reported today (Friday), citing unnamed sources. According to the newspaper, the two are Mark Steines, co-anchor of Entertainment Tonight, and Todd Newton, who hosted the Game Show Network's Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck and currently hosts a live version of The Price Is Right in Las Vegas."

This is kind of interesting, especially since I thought these guys were the same person. If I had to choose, though, it'd be Todd Newton.

I didn't have a problem with Richard Karn. He didn't have the charisma of Richard Dawson or Ray Combs, but he could have been a LOT worse.