login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 130288 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #870 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »
I'm not too fond of that new Pace Picante sauce commercial. Joe Schmoe is sitting on his couch, opens a new can of the stuff, and starts dipping chips directly into the jar. Eventually, he can't fit his large chip inside, so he cracks it in half and dips both pieces in. Clever. However, when he realizes he can't fit his chip into the jar, he looks lustfully at the sauce inside. He doesn't look longingly, he looks lustfully.

I am very disturbed by this. Very.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #871 on: January 28, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
I also hate the Wendy's spicy 99cent nuggets commercial. The two guy are almost pervertedly in love with the nuggets because they are only 99 cents.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #872 on: January 28, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »

I believe her. She was on Tyra Banks once. I've seen the video.. It was people with unusual fears.. her's? Garden Gnomes.. Her older sister made her watch Leprechaun when she was little and it creeped her out.

go to about 4:44 mark that is her segment..

I'm not sure what scarier - that Tyra Banks had a talk show or that someone put whole episodes on YouTube.  ???

Maybe it's just because I'm on Verizon, but I hate how all of AT&T's Luke Wilson ads "rebutting" Verizon's  claims - and AT&T users' complaints - actually don't say anything that could even be construed as a response to said claims & complaints. It's like watching John McCain in a political debate. Look, AT&T, my friends and I could give two shits about being able to talk on the phone and surf the web at the same time - LET ME TALK TO THEM WITHOUT THEIR PHONES CUTTING OUT ON ME ALL THE TIME! (And besides, unless you're Richard Reed or only use speakerphone so you can let everyone around you know what you and your friends are talking about, how the hell is being able to talk & surf the web simultaneously helpful?)

THANK YOU. AT&T's coverage is painfully inferior to Verizon. And I'm saying that as someone who hates Verizon as a company.

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #873 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
I don't really know where my stance is on this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7a0wat0C2dM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7a0wat0C2dM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #874 on: January 28, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
I will also say that the Burger King commercial with the adult baby is just disturbing...moreso than The King ever was.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
I will also say that the Burger King commercial with the adult baby is just disturbing...moreso than The King ever was.

I have to change the channel when the ETRADE commercials with the talking baby come on. That really tips the creepy scale for me.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »

I have to change the channel when the ETRADE commercials with the talking baby come on. That really tips the creepy scale for me.

I kinda like those. Especially the one where he calls his golf partner Shankapotamus. It's the dry delivery, I think.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #877 on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »

I kinda like those. Especially the one where he calls his golf partner Shankapotamus. It's the dry delivery, I think.

It's not the content or the voice. I just can't look at it.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #878 on: January 28, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
Those recent Levi's commercials, featuring young adults doing various things, and a narration of some sort of poem or crap, none of which makes the slightest bit of sense. The phrase "We are the Pioneers" is uttered. The viewer is left thinking "WTF?"

I expect that will be a mainstay in Purgatory.

The poem would be Walt Whitman's Pioneers! O Pioneers! and I agree, they're utterly rubbish (and I wear Levis mostly when it comes to jeans). While the boys in the ads might be of interest to Uncle Walt, none of the people featured in the ads look like they could pioneer anything except a new lip gloss.

I actually kinda like those ads - but only because they expose a new generation to Walt Whitman - and as someone who studied Multimedia in college, the video work (editing, sound, cinematography, etc.) is excellent. The attempt to connect the imagery and poem to Levi's is stupid, but the people who actually made the ad should feel proud that they have something to show off in their demo reels.
You're probably correct on that point, I've not seen them for a while, I'll have to give them a listen again. :)

Oh and I'm not sure that "rebel" is exactly the impression they're trying to convey there. A pioneer isn't a rebel exactly, more like a trendsetter or pathfinder. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:46:10 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #879 on: January 28, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
Right, it's a near synonym for sapper but I'm talking about the more common usage the word has now (and indeed even more so at the time of thew writing of Whitman's poem). :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #880 on: January 28, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »
Have you seen this add where Opra is getting really upset and telling people to start a movement to ban cellphones in cars?  Hey if we are going to do that we should ban radios and eating too.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #881 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
This has probably been mentioned here before, but the one commercial that creeps me out more than any other: That freaky Letric Shave commercial with the guy's face on the magnified hairs.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #882 on: January 29, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
Those recent Levi's commercials, featuring young adults doing various things, and a narration of some sort of poem or crap, none of which makes the slightest bit of sense. The phrase "We are the Pioneers" is uttered. The viewer is left thinking "WTF?"

The poem would be Walt Whitman's Pioneers! O Pioneers! and I agree, they're utterly rubbish (and I wear Levis mostly when it comes to jeans). While the boys in the ads might be of interest to Uncle Walt, none of the people featured in the ads look like they could pioneer anything except a new lip gloss.

I actually kinda like those ads - but only because they expose a new generation to Walt Whitman - and as someone who studied Multimedia in college, the video work (editing, sound, cinematography, etc.) is excellent. The attempt to connect the imagery and poem to Levi's is stupid, but the people who actually made the ad should feel proud that they have something to show off in their demo reels.
You're probably correct on that point, I've not seen them for a while, I'll have to give them a listen again. :)

Oh and I'm not sure that "rebel" is exactly the impression they're trying to convey there. A pioneer isn't a rebel exactly, more like a trendsetter or pathfinder. :)

Levi Strauss did invent what we today call jeans, so I suppose you could call him a a pioneer if you really stretch. But there's nothing pioneering about wearing the most famous, bestselling jeans of all time.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #883 on: January 29, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »

Levi Strauss did invent what we today call jeans, so I suppose you could call him a a pioneer if you really stretch. But there's nothing pioneering about wearing the most famous, bestselling jeans of all time.
I just imagine a crowd of Lemmings jumping off a cliff, each wearing little tiny jeans.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #884 on: January 29, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
I just imagine a crowd of Lemmings jumping off a cliff, each wearing little tiny jeans.

And tiny Hollister t-shirts. :D