Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 126026 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #735 on: June 02, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »
That's part of making it more appealing; some sort of protective layer.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #736 on: June 02, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Too bad the bad the fuel savings don't overcome the extra sticker-price.

But you still use less fuel, which, if you're not a totally selfish bastard, is a good thing.

No, a "good thing," by environmental standards, would be to drive a car that didn't use gasoline at all. There are plenty of options for this, but none of them will be employed by the Prius crowd, because they're not convenient.

Hybrid cars are a P.C. status toy, purchased by people with more money than sense for the sole purpose of feeling better about themselves.

p.s. I won't even go into the issue of the batteries hybrid cars require.

p.p.s. Last time I checked, people pay for the fuel they use. Kindly explain how it is "selfish" to drive a less fuel-efficient car.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #737 on: June 02, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »
The National Crime Prevention Council has bought a ridiculous number of commercials on our local radio station.  Every break there's at least two of them played back to back.  They give great advice for avoiding crimes.

Some examples-

-Did you know that your car is easier to steal if you leave it unattended, with the engine running.
-It's ok to cross the street if you're coming up on a group of shady looking individuals.
-Abandoned buildings are often used by drug dealers and teenagers for underaged drinking parties.
-If you are the victim of a crime you should report it.  
-If your kids find the door of your house kicked in, they probably shouldn't go inside by themselves.
-And my personal favorite - Did you know there's such a thing as a "gang" that young people often get recruited into.  Apparently they recruit troubled kids and give them a feeling of belonging, and often engage in acts of violence.  I was shocked by this news.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #738 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »

p.p.s. Last time I checked, people pay for the fuel they use. Kindly explain how it is "selfish" to drive a less fuel-efficient car.

Because regardless of paying for it, it's a finite resource.

Yeah if you ask me the government should start forcing woman to get abortions after their first child.

Also people shouldn't be allowed to live in the country.

Anyone who spends more then $10 a week on gas should be shot dead in the street with out a trial.

We don't need personal freedom we need one all powerful ruler to punish the selfish.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #739 on: June 02, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »
Yeah dictatorship and the governments absolute control of every persons life rules!

Also i don't think anyone should ever be allowed to leave their town of birth for any reason ever.

Also owning anyone who make more then $4000 a year should have the rest of their money taken away.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:36:29 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #740 on: June 02, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »
Anywho........

The annoying budweiser ads where the smug guy in the frumpy closes draws things with this fingers is currently annoying me.

P.S.   When my current 1998 BWM 528 dies (102K miles so far), I will probably be getting a Toyota prious/pyrus/paprika as it is just about the highest rated car that Consumer's Reports has ever reviewed.   Reliability and no hassle are what I crave.   And when gas does go back up to $4 a gallon, I will not be suffering.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #741 on: June 03, 2009, 06:12:56 AM »
There is an ad for one of the local hospitals that shows people being stalked by a gurney. I'm not sure if I absolutely hate it or if I find it horribly fascinating.

Another local hospital takes a similar tack in that they feature somebody going about there day while being watched by two smug orderlies resting nonchalantly against a gurney. Eventually the person notices the orderlies and demands to know why they are there, to be informed that it's because they are about to have a heart attack.

Why not just give them the hooded robes and scyths and have done with it?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #742 on: June 03, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »
There is an ad for one of the local hospitals that shows people being stalked by a gurney. I'm not sure if I absolutely hate it or if I find it horribly fascinating.

Another local hospital takes a similar tack in that they feature somebody going about there day while being watched by two smug orderlies resting nonchalantly against a gurney. Eventually the person notices the orderlies and demands to know why they are there, to be informed that it's because they are about to have a heart attack.

Why not just give them the hooded robes and scyths and have done with it?

Wow, you must have a lot of demonic hospitals in your area.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:27 AM »
You know what I will go for gas vouchers the day people in the big cities are forced to live with out AC or heat in order to save oil.

Where I live everything in about 15 miles away from everything else.

Voucher systems are always proposed by people who have a reason why it should apply to them.

Also in order to save oil no one should be allowed to own large houses.

Also before I would support travel being restricted for normal people I want to see the government shut down hollywood and ban air travel.

If you want me to suffer and have to lose my job you start suffering too.

Also you could decide to restrict how much your travel without the government doing anything to anyone else,seems to me the only selfish one is you.

You want everyone else to live in a third world country,for something that you are not willing to do anything about on your own.

Talk to me when you stop driving,using taxis,and buses.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #744 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »
I live 11 miles from the nearest city.  You know what I do? I go in once a week.  If your job is 15 miles away from where you live, perhaps you should move.

Maybe you have moving money just sitting around but I don't.

If you don't work in the city why to you ever need to going into it.

You could order everything online.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:32:08 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #745 on: June 03, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
Cars aren't going away for a very long time.

I'd love to bike to work every day, but I don't trust the crazies on the road, texting and doing makeup and drinking coffee and generally not paying attention. Also there's the elements. Not that it rains much in my area, but if it does, I don't want to have to duck and cover. Also there's the relentless sun.

On the other hand, if you want to buy a Prius or a hybrid of any kind, or a smart car, or if you want to drop your personal oil consumption all together, MORE POWER TO YOU!! I applaud anyone who takes an issue and sticks to it. If you're gonna talk the talk, walk the walk. And don't let anyone tell you off for doing so. We could all do well with being more responsible. In all honesty, I think America is doing much more than ever to help recycle and generally live more responsibly and waste less. Sure, there's plenty more to do, but I think the general consensus is gearing more toward responsible living nowadays.

[/community service speech]

Doctor Who?

« Reply #746 on: June 03, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »
If you ask me if the government is going to limit how much gas each person can use they should also limit how much electricity each person gets to use.

Also as soon as someone is unable to work they should be put to sleep,since they can't do anything to earn their oil any more.

Then again i think it's a bad idea for us to live in terror of running out of oil and let it dictate how we life our lives,so i may be full of shit.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #747 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
Speaking of politics, I hate pretty much every political commercial ever made, regardless of the candidate or the issue.  I haven't seen any lately, but I thought maybe I could use that to segue back to the topic...?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #748 on: June 03, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
I like the idea of gasoline vouchers, personally.  Every adult citizen gets X amount. You can sell them if you want, but if you don't have a voucher, no gas.

So you're not bothered by the facts that this idea is:

A) openly fascist, and

B) utterly unworkable from a practical standpoint?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #749 on: June 03, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »
Yeah dictatorship and the governments absolute control of every persons life rules!

Also i don't think anyone should ever be allowed to leave their town of birth for any reason ever.

Also owning anyone who make more then $4000 a year should have the rest of their money taken away.

Yeah, complete batshit insanity! RRARGH Blah lbah overreact! Immaturity halfwitted nonsense!

Doctor Who?'s suggestions might be hyperbole, but in context, they're far less disturbing the idiocy that you suggested with a straight face.

- Conan O'Brien