Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 125738 times)

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #690 on: February 26, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
The "Gotta get home to-niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" song during that insanely over-played Guiness commercial (primarily on ESPN, from what I've noticed) is about to drive me up the wall.  :grr:  It's been going non-stop for months now.

I don't watch THAT much television, so I would hope that I NOT see the same commercial over 6 times in any given 15-minute span of watching ESPN.  But whenever I see that brown screen with the montage of boozed-up kids in the back seat of a cab, accompanied by that infuriatingly lazy guitar strumming intro, I am always driven to wonder why I came back to this channel.  I knew they were gonna show it, I knew it drove me nuts, and I came back anyway.  I suppose I deserve it, but that still doesn't change the fact that they show this abomination FAR too much. >:(

Perhaps instead of throwing money at ESPN to buy ad space, Guiness, why not use that money to actually COME UP WITH YOUR FIRST NEW COMMERCIAL IN OVER HALF A YEAR!?  I mean, are they trying to set their own world record or something?

Forget drinking - please show commercials responsibly!
And I second the hatred for the "Progressive chick with her freaky makeup" commercials too.  Good call. :clap:
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!

Offline ebeth

• Big Montana
  • Why 9 Gars?
    • Anti-Affirmations
« Reply #691 on: February 26, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
I'm tired of any commercial that portrays people as incapable of watering plants, getting their hands free of a blanket, or taking trash out of the house.  While I see the interest in a snuggy isn't it really just a backwards robe?  and quite frankly I am able to answer a phone if I have a blanket over me...no problem there.  As for watering a plant, here's a hint, if water starts going over the top of the planter, QUIT!  a globe stuck in the dirt isn't going to help you if you don't know how to put liquid inside of it.
I am not above projectile vomiting to get my way

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #692 on: February 26, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »
I am officially calling "No Way" on the Pizza Hut ad that claims they went to Italy, served their crappy lasagna to Italians and they all swooned over how great it was.

BS.   :angry:

Total.

Offline ebeth

• Big Montana
  • Why 9 Gars?
    • Anti-Affirmations
« Reply #693 on: February 26, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »
I am officially calling "No Way" on the Pizza Hut ad that claims they went to Italy, served their crappy lasagna to Italians and they all swooned over how great it was.

Total.

You know I think it was Pizza Hut that got busted a few years back over an ad claiming "Steak Enthusiast Magazine called this a culinary triumph of flavor and delight."...There was no such thing as Steak Enthusiast Magazine but I appreciate their balls-to-wall approach to advertising

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #694 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »
They have actors in Italy too these days ;)

The devil you say!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #695 on: February 26, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

I dunno, I've had some seriously shitty pasta in Italy too.

Too true. "Authentic" isn't necessarily synonymous with "good."
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #696 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »

I dunno, I've had some seriously shitty pasta in Italy too.

Too true. "Authentic" isn't necessarily synonymous with "good."

If it's Italian, and the cook is half-way decent, it is good. I can't vouch for other foods. But then again, there's absolutely NO guarantee that my Pizza Hut pasta will be made by anyone even remotely Italian.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #697 on: February 26, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »
Cisco's "Human Network" ads. More specifically, the newest one involving a large, curved video wall in the middle of town squares in China and Italy. Folks gather 'round, inquisitive. They see eachother on the other side of the world, yadda yadda. A small Italian boy walks forward, approaches the wall, and waves. Everyone on both sides follow suit, and a small Chinese girl is encouraged to walk toward the wall and meet the boy. The two then start goofing off, as children do. The crowds are happy, connected, and the world is a better place.

Such pathetic nonsense. How much would that setup cost, and WHAT'S THE FREAKING POINT???? Frankly, the whole thing smells of hippies.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #698 on: February 26, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »
That's WIRED hippies, Imperialist Running-Dog.  :)

- Conan O'Brien

Offline ebeth

• Big Montana
  • Why 9 Gars?
    • Anti-Affirmations
« Reply #699 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
Cisco's "Human Network" ads. More specifically, the newest one involving a large, curved video wall in the middle of town squares in China and Italy. Folks gather 'round, inquisitive. They see eachother on the other side of the world, yadda yadda. A small Italian boy walks forward, approaches the wall, and waves. Everyone on both sides follow suit, and a small Chinese girl is encouraged to walk toward the wall and meet the boy. The two then start goofing off, as children do. The crowds are happy, connected, and the world is a better place.

Such pathetic nonsense. How much would that setup cost, and WHAT'S THE FREAKING POINT???? Frankly, the whole thing smells of hippies.

I think that in reality people would start making obscene gestures with their hands thus causing a cataclysmic event in which war would begin...

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #700 on: February 26, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
Yeah, the first three things that I thought something like that would be used for were:

1. Anti-corporate protests
2. Pranks
3. Obscene displays
    3a. Obscene pranks

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #701 on: February 27, 2009, 05:19:48 AM »
Right now I HATE the ones from WhiteLies.tv with the smoker autopsies. That is disgusting. Frankly they should be fined from this type of crap. If you haven't seen these, then you are lucky. I either change the channel or simply don't watch.

Another one I hate is KFC with the woman talking about how fresh the chicken is and she knows because she is the "cook" at one and that there is one in every KFC. The way she says this makes it sound like she is head chef at a 5 star bistro. YOU WORK IN FAST FOOD LADY!! I worked at Taco Bell one summer. I made food on the line. Did that make a cook? NO! I was a fast food worker and nothing more. IF you can learn to do a job in about 10 minutes on making food, then you are not a cook. You are Food Prep Worker, nothing more.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #702 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:59 AM »
KFC commercials are really irritating in general these days. The one I remember is where this slack-jawed blonde model bites into a crunchy breaded chicken thing and says something to the effect of "Wow, I did not see that coming". If you're capable of being surprised by fast food fried chicken there's something wrong with you.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #703 on: February 27, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »
KFC commercials are really irritating in general these days. The one I remember is where this slack-jawed blonde model bites into a crunchy breaded chicken thing and says something to the effect of "Wow, I did not see that coming". If you're capable of being surprised by fast food fried chicken there's something wrong with you.

Yeah, and then the whole group of people begin a conversation about the damn wings. Talk about brain dead.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #704 on: March 01, 2009, 06:11:09 AM »
Another one I hate is KFC with the woman talking about how fresh the chicken is and she knows because she is the "cook" at one and that there is one in every KFC. The way she says this makes it sound like she is head chef at a 5 star bistro. YOU WORK IN FAST FOOD LADY!! I worked at Taco Bell one summer. I made food on the line. Did that make a cook? NO! I was a fast food worker and nothing more. IF you can learn to do a job in about 10 minutes on making food, then you are not a cook. You are Food Prep Worker, nothing more.

That's not what bugs me about that commercial...what bugs me is that, at the bottom of the screen, it clearly says "Actor Portrayal". And suddenly, NOTHING makes any sense!

WHY did they need to hire an actress to read some facts and say she's a cook? Were there no actual cooks at any KFCs who looked friendly enough? (Actually, I suppose that is a possibility.)

Okay. Fine. So, they figure we'd rather look at a friendly-but-nondescript actress than an actual cook. So why bother having her claim to be a cook? Do they really think we'll trust her more on this issue if she claims to be a cook? Because that trust is kinda undermined by those words at the bottom of the screen. If she's willing to lie about being a cook, how do we know she's telling the truth about the damn chicken? Frankly, I'd be more inclined to believe her claims about the chicken's freshness if she just admitted "How do I know? Because I'm reading it off a damn cue card!" At least then we can believe she's honest.

Go to hell, KFC, for causing me untold sleepless nights of anguish with your stupid, nonsensical commercial. To hell, I say!