login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 130520 times)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #495 on: August 03, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
I hate that Hardee's commercial with the "Fake Restaurant, 'Real' People" thing.  I'm supposed to believe that they somehow went to the trouble of creating an entire fictional restaurant just to fake people into thinking they're getting food from somewhere other than Hardee's and then, surprise surprise, the food is actually from Hardee's.  Then the customer smiles and everyone applauds.  Assuming that yes, Hardee's commercial producers have so much money and time on their hands that they can fabricate a simulated restaurant in order to fool people, how many people would they have to go through to get the reaction of delighted surprise that they're looking for?  It brings to mind the SNL sketch where Chris Farley is in a hidden camera commercial for, I think, General Foods International Coffee, and he starts angrily attacking the waiter saying "You bastard!  You lied to me!"  And why are the other patrons clapping when the victim finds out his food was from Hardee's?  Are they all in on it?  It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to just to fool one person at a time into thinking they're getting food from a quality restaurant when really Hardee's was the one that made it.  All the more reason NOT to eat at Hardee's.
That Pizza Hut commercial advertising those chocolate dunkers is awful.  Arrr!  The lady has the worst fake French accent I've ever heard, on tv or real life.  I'm pretty sure there's footage on some editor's floor covered in takes of customers laughing at either that lady's accent, the smugness of "In yo' face, it's Pizza Hut, sucker!" or both.  Btw, I googled "chocolate dunkers french" to see which chain was selling them; the 4th entry is Commercials I Hate Forums.
Agreed on both of these. I hate the 'ha ha we fooled you..' type commercials. I'm hating the fake ones too or the ones they expect you to go to a website to see the rest of the 'story'. I'm talking about the ones for the phone with the fake movie trailers and the "Find out what Happens next!" ones.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #496 on: August 03, 2008, 06:27:55 PM »
Some other commercials I hate are the ones where they attack the "individualized credit cards" with personalized pictures on them.

The first one has a guy trying to board a plane with a credit card with kittens on it, only to be seized and whisked away by security, apparelty to be given an anal probe by some big black guy. (BTW, isn't that a little racist, playing on white fears?) They don't show the guy missing his flight, being harassed and suing the airline and the airport later when he finds it was all over his credit card's picture.

The other one has this american with, I admit, a silly looking credit card and these incredibly arrogant germans sneering at it, mocking him in german with their big toothed smiles, then walking off, mocking him in german but with pleasant sounding voices. meanwhile the guy is portrayed as so dumb he doesn't even get what happened, and a "smart" woman pays for the dinner with her "looks like everyone else's" card.

I really got steamed at that commercial. I even yelled at the TV the second time I saw it with my own riff:"Hey, klaus, frau blucha! You's prefer a holographic swastika on it maybe?!" (Ok, low blow but the arrogance of those germans with their huge toothed demeaning smiles just got to me...)

Individuality is being wiped out in american society in favor of the corporate culture of conformity and compliance. I favor anything that allows a trace of individuality to exist. I support these cards and might get one if my company makes them available. If someone doesn't like it, they can bite me.

I kinda like the personalized card commercials ("WAR KITTENS???" :D) But the one with the smug Germans I kinda see. Yes they are dicks in it, but look at it like this. You are trying to close a major deal. You are paying for lunch and use a card with Mickey Mouse on it to pay. This is your business credit card. On a personal card iti s fine, but not when conducting serious business

I mean, HTF does HER bad credit keep HIM from being able to buy a house? And if it does, then why don't they seperate, he gets the new house and after getting it they remarry?
I think when you marry someone with bad credit it hurts your credit score. I don't know.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #497 on: August 04, 2008, 06:04:48 AM »
If two people jointly apply for something that requires a credit history (in that case a mortgage) and one of them has bad credit then their score can adversely effect the aggregate score and potential scupper the whole deal.

I've always had good credit both here in the US and back in England. However when Ann and I bought our condo, just after we were married, I had only just moved to the states permanently and therefore had zero credit history. When it comes to credit scores zero history is almost like having bad credit so Ann was the only person on the mortgage.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #498 on: August 04, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »
I hate those stupid pizza hut ads where they "invited sophisticated new yorkers who know their pasta" to a fake restaurant.   They show these smiling boobs going "oh, this is great" as they shovel in the pizza hut pasta in their pie holes.

Um, I've had the pizza hut pasta before, and while not half bad, only a dimwit with no taste buds would think it came from a restaurant.  How stupid do they think we are?    And more importantly, where did they unearth these new yorkers from anyway?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #499 on: August 04, 2008, 06:39:28 AM »
Yep my thoughts too, unless the only pasta they know is the Mostacolli served at banquet halls there is no way you'd mistake Pizza Hut pasta for the sort sold in high dining establishments.

I mean it's OK and it's certainly not a chore to eat it but it's sort of stodgy and simple in flavour. Which is great from time to time but hardly the same as really good pasta.

Oh an ad I hate right now is for some Anti Alzheimer's drug (once again with a list of possible side effects that make just living with Alzheimer's seem like a pleasent alternative) in which you see some pleasent old buffer getting his grand daughters name wrong and then his wife looks thunderstruck, the scene freezes and the word in BIG UNFRIENDLY LETTERS declares "Alzheimer's I waiting" like it's leaning menacingly against the wall across the road playing with a switchblade.

I know fear sells possibly better than sex but really, Old Folks have enough to deal with could we maybe not shill pills to them with such stupid scare tactics.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:44:01 AM by Earth President Richard M. Nixon »

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #500 on: August 04, 2008, 07:51:20 AM »

Oh an ad I hate right now is for some Anti Alzheimer's drug (once again with a list of possible side effects that make just living with Alzheimer's seem like a pleasant alternative) in which you see some pleasant old buffer getting his grand daughters name wrong and then his wife looks thunderstruck, the scene freezes and the word in BIG UNFRIENDLY LETTERS declares "Alzheimer's I waiting" like it's leaning menacingly against the wall across the road playing with a switchblade.

Love the horrified look on her face.

Offline Keroppi20

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • I've got compassion running out of my nose, pal!
    • Want to Learn More About Me?
« Reply #501 on: August 04, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
The "Shamwow" commercial is intolerable!  :grr:  I never thought I would see the day when I longed for a product to be pitched by Billy Mayes instead... 
I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.

-Vash

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #502 on: August 04, 2008, 10:47:19 AM »
The "Shamwow" commercial is intolerable!  :grr:  I never thought I would see the day when I longed for a product to be pitched by Billy Mayes instead... 

You dont like the fake Bowery Boy?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #503 on: August 04, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Oh that one presented by the bloke with the headset, like some refugee from the Rythm Nation tour.

Actually I think Billy Mayes' beard is made from Shamwows.

Offline Keroppi20

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • I've got compassion running out of my nose, pal!
    • Want to Learn More About Me?
« Reply #504 on: August 04, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »

Actually I think Billy Mayes' beard is made from Shamwows.
:clap:  :D

I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.

-Vash

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #505 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »
Vince is not amused by all the hate

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #506 on: August 04, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »

Dude! Are you gonna stand around sobbing like a chick or are you gonna help me mop up all this blood?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #507 on: August 04, 2008, 11:18:09 AM »
I hate that Hardee's commercial with the "Fake Restaurant, 'Real' People" thing.  I'm supposed to believe that they somehow went to the trouble of creating an entire fictional restaurant just to fake people into thinking they're getting food from somewhere other than Hardee's and then, surprise surprise, the food is actually from Hardee's.  Then the customer smiles and everyone applauds.  Assuming that yes, Hardee's commercial producers have so much money and time on their hands that they can fabricate a simulated restaurant in order to fool people, how many people would they have to go through to get the reaction of delighted surprise that they're looking for?  It brings to mind the SNL sketch where Chris Farley is in a hidden camera commercial for, I think, General Foods International Coffee, and he starts angrily attacking the waiter saying "You bastard!  You lied to me!"  And why are the other patrons clapping when the victim finds out his food was from Hardee's?  Are they all in on it?  It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to just to fool one person at a time into thinking they're getting food from a quality restaurant when really Hardee's was the one that made it.  All the more reason NOT to eat at Hardee's.

More proof that the Fake Restaurant is like- FAKE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UarU0SQS54

Where I come from, it's Carl's Jr. That means we're to believe they set up TWO fake restaurants for the sake of regional branding. :^)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »
Judging by the roll on one of those customers necks I'd suggest laying off the burgers, be they $14 or $6 for a while :speechless:

Doctor Who?

« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2008, 07:08:47 PM »
Have you seen the new freecriditreport.com at where he can't buy a Bike now?!

Who uses credit to buy a bike and how do you get credit that bad with out knowing about it?!