Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 126193 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5092
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:17 AM »
Maybe they were going for "This is a kid that won't sit down to dinner with the family.  But if you serve KFC, he'll actually sit at a table and eat with you."

Wow, do people REALLY have trouble with this in real life? I always just kind of assumed this was a TV show cliche. When I was growing up, if you didn't sit at the table, you didn't eat. That's pretty much how it is now in my own house, too. There are no books, TV, or gameboys at the dinner table - everyone sits down and eats as a family.

And to contribute to the topic at hand:

I hate the commercials where you are shown a painfully unlikely scene (say, a man goes to wash his car with a pressure washer, and strips all the paint off of it), and the voiceover guy says, "Does this ever happen to you?" Um... no, because it's stupid and fucking impossible.

You just gave me a great idea for a commercial.

A guy opens his fridge only to be attacked by dozens of snakes.  He falls over the couch and suddenly the snakes turn too ooze.  He gets up and looks around the room while panting.  Suddenly two subway trains coming from opposite directions burst through his wall and shoot past him.  He is holding his ears and crying when suddenly he opens them and he's in a subway, standing between the two sets of tracks.  Then he looks t the people about and they start meowing, quietly at first, and then very loudly.

Voiceover: has this ever happened to you?

Then seek help from the Dr. Orfield's mental health clinic.  We put the Dr. back in Dr. Orfield's mental health clinic.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »
Maybe they were going for "This is a kid that won't sit down to dinner with the family.  But if you serve KFC, he'll actually sit at a table and eat with you."

Wow, do people REALLY have trouble with this in real life? I always just kind of assumed this was a TV show cliche. When I was growing up, if you didn't sit at the table, you didn't eat. That's pretty much how it is now in my own house, too. There are no books, TV, or gameboys at the dinner table - everyone sits down and eats as a family.

And to contribute to the topic at hand:

I hate the commercials where you are shown a painfully unlikely scene (say, a man goes to wash his car with a pressure washer, and strips all the paint off of it), and the voiceover guy says, "Does this ever happen to you?" Um... no, because it's stupid and fucking impossible.

You just gave me a great idea for a commercial.

A guy opens his fridge only to be attacked by dozens of snakes.  He falls over the couch and suddenly the snakes turn too ooze.  He gets up and looks around the room while panting.  Suddenly two subway trains coming from opposite directions burst through his wall and shoot past him.  He is holding his ears and crying when suddenly he opens them and he's in a subway, standing between the two sets of tracks.  Then he looks t the people about and they start meowing, quietly at first, and then very loudly.

Voiceover: has this ever happened to you?

Then seek help from the Dr. Orfield's mental health clinic.  We put the Dr. back in Dr. Orfield's mental health clinic.

hahah, that would be awesome. I would totally have my brother committed to that clinic after seeing their commercial. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3118
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »
OK. Sub-Lime-inal advertising anyone? :^)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
OK. Sub-Lime-inal advertising anyone? :^)

Oh yeah the makers of that (I forget the name of the product) can sod right off.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »
They should change the slogan at the end to "Sprite: Now with WAY more drugs!"

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2007, 10:51:35 AM »
Sprite, OK yes that would make sense.

Honestly sometimes I cannot for the life of me remember what a commercial is supposed to be pushing. So that's a glowing assessment of the agency's skill isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:53:48 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2007, 12:25:26 PM »
Sprite, OK yes that would make sense.

Honestly sometimes I cannot for the life of me remember what a commercial is supposed to be pushing. So that's a glowing assessment of the agency's skill isn't it?

That's the net effect of every single car commercial ever on me.

Couldn't tell you a damn thing about the car they were trying to push... not even the company the car comes from.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »
Couldn't tell you a damn thing about the car they were trying to push... not even the company the car comes from.

5 seconds worth of commercial could replace 75% of car commercials ever.

VO: "-company name-: Cars are nice."

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2007, 10:55:47 PM »
One thing I've always wondered -- do they really need to make commercials for feminine hygeine products?  I mean, can't we take it as read that women will buy those things whether they see a commercial for it or not? 

And remember those Gatorade commercials where they showed athletes in the heat middle of playing their sport of choice, and they were sweating more than a southern Missourian on a hot day (which is quite a lot, as I'm sure Tarantulas would back me up on), and their sweat was the color of (presumably) whatever flavor of gatorade they were drinking?  I'm no expert on metabolism or whatever process the body uses to produce sweat, but I would tend to think that if sweat turns orange or green or purple, that's a pretty bad sign, and you're in serious need of medical assistance.  And any liquid that would cause your sweat to change colors would not be something I'd want to drink.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
One thing I've always wondered -- do they really need to make commercials for feminine hygeine products?  I mean, can't we take it as read that women will buy those things whether they see a commercial for it or not? 

God I know - it's like bottled water; you already know it exists somewhere in the world so there's no need to shout about it. 
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2007, 04:36:24 PM »

God I know - it's like bottled water; you already know it exists somewhere in the world so there's no need to shout about it. 

More fundamentally, electricity suppliers advertise as well. Am I going to decide to not have electricity or something?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »
I guess you could use a generator or something.
Analogy:
"Here at the Milwaukee Water Treatment Facility, we take pride in delivering cool, clean water right to your home. Please, next time you need to take a shower, try Milwaukee Tap Water, where our motto is:
You have no other choice, really."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »
For that matter, isn't the world aware enough of McDonalds?

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »

Yes, but are we sick of them enough? Their commercials make me sick, what with the cheesy, pseudo-hip attitude. The new one with the mood ring is so stupid and sappy that I was actually offended and yelled at the TV the first time I saw it. 

Also, I may stop watching TV altogether until they either stop playing commercials for LA Ink or cancel the show. I feel like I'm having an aneurism every time I here the leading woman's pretentious, sleazy voice purring out some self-absorbed bullshit.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2007, 07:29:05 PM »

Yes but I choose to eat their crappy burgers (or I don't as the case may, nay certainly, be) I can't very well choose to go with another mains electricity or municipal water supplier. Though if you could it'd be cool.

"You don't want Detroit water, that's nasty, try the cool taste of Oscoda Water, mm-mm-mmmmm that's good water!"