Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 127348 times)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2007, 02:01:23 PM »
I'd love to see her kids- in- plastic- bubbles trying to get out the door to go to school, but she stops them to give them a quick dusting...

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
As will her kids due to their lack of a robust immune system that excessive cleaning engenders.

That's exactly why I just wash my hands and wipe down the counter after cooking a meal instead of disinfecting everything in the house like I have a hypoimmune disorder. No one drops dead from a horrible disease they caught off their fucking doorknobs, so all these clowns are doing is training bacteria how to handle bleach...

I'd love to see her kids- in- plastic- bubbles trying to get out the door to go to school, but she stops them to give them a quick dusting...

It'd be more in the style of the commercials to have the mother scurrying along spraying and wiping everything with bleach before the kid touches it. Doorknob, sidewalk, bus railing, seats, other kids on the bus...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2007, 02:11:13 PM »
That's why it creeps me the hell out to see antibacterial chemicals in every fecking thing. You know, for the most part, bacteria are our friends. Oh and let your kids play in the dirt and have pets in the house too.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
I guess we can take comfort in the fact that more than likely, the "antibacterials" in everything don't really work. They're probably to bacteria as citronella is to mosquitoes.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »

It'd be more in the style of the commercials to have the mother scurrying along spraying and wiping everything with bleach before the kid touches it. Doorknob, sidewalk, bus railing, seats, other kids on the bus...

"... really excited about this new school! The buses here seem bigger than the ones-"
"Uh oh, this is Jamie's stop. Cover your eyes!"
"What? And who's that woman with the spray bo- AAAIIIEEEE!!  My eyes! They burn!"

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »
That's why it creeps me the hell out to see antibacterial chemicals in every fecking thing. You know, for the most part, bacteria are our friends. Oh and let your kids play in the dirt and have pets in the house too.

I think it's all a plot by the Martians to get rid of the bacteria that would otherwise kill them when they invade....

;)

How about the disgusting Oreo Cookie Pizza?

Well, anything from Domino's is disgusting.

And full of bacteria.   ;)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2007, 10:27:16 AM »
How about the disgusting Oreo Cookie Pizza?

Well, anything from Domino's is disgusting.

And full of bacteria.   ;)

So... we should let our kids eat the shit from Domino's anyway, to build up their immunity?
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »
Um, you can only build up so much resistance. Domino's Pizza is like Mercury. It just collects in the system.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2007, 10:51:54 AM »
Just imagining taking a huge, crunchy bite out of a pile of sugar-covered, semistale oreo cookies is enough to put my off my chitlins for a week.

And I'm sick of this "it's funny because it's uncomfortable and awkward" trend that's crawled out of hell recently.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »
Just imagining taking a huge, crunchy bite out of a pile of sugar-covered, semistale oreo cookies is enough to put my off my chitlins for a week.

And I'm sick of this "it's funny because it's uncomfortable and awkward" trend that's crawled out of hell recently.

Does that explain the one KFC commercial where the teenage kid wants to eat at his friend's house, so he calls his mom, but she doesn't believe that he's going to be eating dinner at his friend's house for some unknown reason, so he hands the phone to his friend's mom who says "Carol?  Yes, that's right.  We're all having dinner.  Together." in a supposedly reassuring manner?  Is that commercial supposed to be funny somehow?  Because I can't figure out why anyone would want to depict a family tiff in a commercial.  Perhaps if they could have provided some backstory, so we could find out why the teenager's mother is dubious at his wanting to have dinner at his friend's house.  Perhaps there's some unspoken class conflict.  Maybe the friend's family is upper-middle class and his family is lower-middle class.  Perhaps the teenager has a history of sneaking off to do things he shouldn't while claiming to be at a friend's house.  Who knows?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2007, 03:35:37 PM »

Does that explain the one KFC commercial where the teenage kid wants to eat at his friend's house, so he calls his mom, but she doesn't believe that he's going to be eating dinner at his friend's house for some unknown reason, so he hands the phone to his friend's mom who says "Carol?  Yes, that's right.  We're all having dinner.  Together." in a supposedly reassuring manner?  Is that commercial supposed to be funny somehow?  Because I can't figure out why anyone would want to depict a family tiff in a commercial.  Perhaps if they could have provided some backstory, so we could find out why the teenager's mother is dubious at his wanting to have dinner at his friend's house.  Perhaps there's some unspoken class conflict.  Maybe the friend's family is upper-middle class and his family is lower-middle class.  Perhaps the teenager has a history of sneaking off to do things he shouldn't while claiming to be at a friend's house.  Who knows?

Maybe they were going for "This is a kid that won't sit down to dinner with the family.  But if you serve KFC, he'll actually sit at a table and eat with you."

I've never seen the one you're talking about so I don't know for certain.  But that sounds likely.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2007, 05:48:36 PM »
I'm really uncomfortable with the Clearasil commercials lately.

"And here she is... naked in the bath!"  (looking at baby photos)

(15 year old girl turns to boyfriend)
"You should see me now....  oh yeah."

AHHH!!!!  No no no, too young!!
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2007, 06:52:36 PM »
I'm really uncomfortable with the Clearasil commercials lately.

"And here she is... naked in the bath!"  (looking at baby photos)

(15 year old girl turns to boyfriend)
"You should see me now....  oh yeah."

AHHH!!!!  No no no, too young!!

Wait she's 15?

I thought Kudos to the girl for shutting up the annoying mother.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »
I must be extremely lucky....or I know when to turn away and mute at the right time.

I never see most of this stuff!

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2007, 09:42:28 PM »
Maybe they were going for "This is a kid that won't sit down to dinner with the family.  But if you serve KFC, he'll actually sit at a table and eat with you."

Wow, do people REALLY have trouble with this in real life? I always just kind of assumed this was a TV show cliche. When I was growing up, if you didn't sit at the table, you didn't eat. That's pretty much how it is now in my own house, too. There are no books, TV, or gameboys at the dinner table - everyone sits down and eats as a family.

And to contribute to the topic at hand:

I hate the commercials where you are shown a painfully unlikely scene (say, a man goes to wash his car with a pressure washer, and strips all the paint off of it), and the voiceover guy says, "Does this ever happen to you?" Um... no, because it's stupid and fucking impossible.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton