Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 127724 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #750 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:10 AM »
I like the idea of gasoline vouchers, personally.  Every adult citizen gets X amount. You can sell them if you want, but if you don't have a voucher, no gas.
So you're not bothered by the facts that this idea is:

A) openly fascist, and

B) utterly unworkable from a practical standpoint?

It's really not fascist, I do so hate the misuse of that term.

Now it is possibly totalitarian but while all fascists are totalitarian not all totalitarians are fascist.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #751 on: June 04, 2009, 04:54:24 AM »
Speaking of politics, I hate pretty much every political commercial ever made, regardless of the candidate or the issue.  I haven't seen any lately, but I thought maybe I could use that to segue back to the topic...?

Dream on!

They are still running those stupid Subway ads where people dance around, yell "Five Dollar Foot Long" and laugh like they just said something hilarious.   God how annoying.    WHAT THE FRAK IS FUNNY?!?!?!?!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #752 on: June 04, 2009, 07:28:30 AM »

Doctor Who?

« Reply #753 on: June 04, 2009, 07:30:28 AM »
So in other words you think personal freedom is bust and the more control the government is given the better.

Why stop there why not put cameras in people's homes to make sure they don't wait water?

Why not put people to sleep at the age of 65?

Why not ban travel out and out?

In these days of the internet there really is no reason why people have to travel?

Who elected you and gave you the right to judge the rest of the world?

You know this is the same system they have been trying in communist countries for almost 100 years,show me one country where it doesn't end in the rich government class oppressing the poor workers.

People would never vote for this year after year so are you in favor of appointing one man absolute ruler for life?

Should my whole family and I be shot in the street because we can't cut back on our driving

We are working the only shifts we can get at the only jobs we can get and living at the only house we have.

Why aren't you demanding that we drill for more oil,if we would drill for it it would not be expensive?

You are only for this because you think you are better then everyone else and you think in the new order you would be part of the elite.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #754 on: June 04, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »
You really need to calm down there doc, you just come off as histrionic.

Nobody is suggesting any of the things you put forth and you just sound silly trying to link what has been said to the things you listed.

I'll say it again, calm down.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #755 on: June 04, 2009, 07:35:11 AM »
If you read my post you would see I am pointing out the flaws in your "logic".

I really hope you find out what it is some day not to be part of the rich who don't have to worry about going to work and making ends meet.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #756 on: June 04, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
Wildly rambling posts containing extreme extrapolations and employing the slippery slope logical fallacy are never effective argumentative tools.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #757 on: June 04, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »
Yeah I don't know about you but I love taking a refreshing dip in the money bin every morning ;)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #758 on: June 04, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »
Ok just answer me  four questions about your system.

How would it be better then the systems like it that are used in communist countries and dictatorships?

Why haven't you suggested drilling for oil?

How would you make sure it was kept in place no matter how unpopular it became and who was elected?

How is it not attack on personal freedom and choice?

Yes i do know that we had systems like this in war time,but those were short term and were only in place until we had a victory they were never meant to be used long turn.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #759 on: June 04, 2009, 07:47:18 AM »
You know those commercials where a bunch of different people say different parts of a paragraph?  And usually the commercial switches speaker mid sentence?  God I hate those.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #760 on: June 04, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
Yes, well, in the meantime I'll just be taking moneybaths and commanding my armies of servants.  One of them will be happy to help you off that cross later though.

Can anyone in your army drive?  I need to drop off my car for some maintenance work and I need a ride home from the mechanic.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #761 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:59 AM »
First off, Doc, I sympathize with your viewpoint, but calm down.  Second of all, why should the government get to decide how much gas I need, and thereby decide which businesses I get to patronize?  Maybe I don't need to drive to Schnuck's when there's a Food Giant that I can walk to, but what if Food Giant doesn't have what I'm looking for, or what if Schnuck's prices are better?  
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #762 on: June 04, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »
First off, Doc, I sympathize with your viewpoint, but calm down.  Second of all, why should the government get to decide how much gas I need, and thereby decide which businesses I get to patronize?  Maybe I don't need to drive to Schnuck's when there's a Food Giant that I can walk to, but what if Food Giant doesn't have what I'm looking for, or what if Schnuck's prices are better?  

Ah, I miss St. Louis and shopping at Schnuck's ("the friendliest store in town")......... shopping at HEB (Harry E. Butts) is not the same.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #763 on: June 04, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
I live 11 miles from the nearest city.  You know what I do? I go in once a week.  If your job is 15 miles away from where you live, perhaps you should move.

Be realistic.  Moving is not easy, especially for families.  Procuring a new home is not like buying new tires.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #764 on: June 04, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
Ok just answer me  four questions about your system.

How would it be better then the systems like it that are used in communist countries and dictatorships?

Why would it need to be?

Have you ever read a book Glasnot or anything less written by people living in the USSR?

As it turned out no one got gas or was allowed to travel except rich government types.

It was a protect the rich system.

Also how is limiting how mach gas people can use any less of a band aid then drilling for oil?  At least drilling for oil mean there is more oil.

Why not drill and cut back?

Also those soccer moms that you talk about as if they were sub human do have the right to vote.

I suppose it is. But people often make bad choices for themselves which are massively harmful to people around them. 

Under that logic Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia should have been perfect countries.

Also why are you cut backs limited to cars.

Why not ban air conditioning and heat too?

Both of those use oil too.

Limiting people's use of cars would do little to set back the date we run out of oil on it's own.

How do you feel about things like air travel,TV,video games,movies,and computers?

If you ask me taking away personal freedom should be the last resort not the first.

To me person freedom is something that needs to be expanded across the earth.

To me personal freedom is not something to be feared and I don't think i have to right to make choices for other people and i don't think of them in sub human stereotypes.

If you want to cut back more power to you but it doesn't make you better then anyone else and it doesn't mean that the people who don't live like you need their freedom taken away.