login

Author Topic: Nexus Logic  (Read 20204 times)

Offline ManosCK

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Still evil after all these years
Re: Nexus Logic
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2007, 11:44:19 AM »
Well, Uncle Rick had said at the time, when asked why the Guardian of Forever wasn't used, he called it a "cheap plot device." 

Yep, that "cheap plot device" from arguably the most popular episode of the original series, which also won a Hugo award and was penned by one of the greatest SF writers of all time.

His answer: to come up with a cheesy way to do pretty much the same thing, albeit with no "rules."  Because hey, when you're killing off a legend, you may as well ignore all the good stuff that came before (that wasn't created on your watch).

I've purchased the riff, but haven't had the chance to watch it with the film yet.  I can't wait.

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • (see: pointed simian)
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
And why can't Soron just fly a ship into the nexus? Yes, Picard points out that ships that do this are destroyed, but isn't that how Soran entered the Nexus originally? By having his ship caught in it?

:clap:
I remember thinking to myself "At what point in Soran's career as a mad scientist did blowing up a sun and destroying a handful of planets sound easier than building a very tall ladder?". 

Offline Just Some Guy

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
And while I'm not pro-appeasing star destroying mad scientists you would think it would be much easier to end this when the plan was discovered.  All Picard had to do was say "Hey Soran, no need to destroy the star; I'll give you a shuttle craft!  We go through them like potato chips anyway."

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 12:26:03 PM »
Also, how much extra work would it have been to direct the ribbon through the habitated planet, so everybody could be happy, instead of dead?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »
Well wouldn't That 've just made for the Happiest of endings..
Like seeing a puppy running..

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »
I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but I think the most obvious flaw in the plot, given that the Nexus will bring you back to whatever time you want to be, is that Picard goes back to like, five minutes before the universe goes kablowee..... Hell, transport back an hour, three hours -- or even go back several years and assassinate Soran before any of this even happens.......
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 04:17:30 PM »
I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but I think the most obvious flaw in the plot, given that the Nexus will bring you back to whatever time you want to be, is that Picard goes back to like, five minutes before the universe goes kablowee..... Hell, transport back an hour, three hours -- or even go back several years and assassinate Soran before any of this even happens.......

Or before his nephew gets killed.   DUH Picard.

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »
being what a heated debate matters of space and time create, you'd think the writers could have thought of something slightly more logical.
The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 08:16:55 PM »

Or before his nephew gets killed.   DUH Picard.

Or back when he had hair.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 08:25:02 PM »
Quote from: Tony Farms AKA Puma Man
Or back when he had hair.

Picard never had hair... Geez~

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 12:18:26 AM »
-Rude
Actually, Picard did have hair when he was a youngster at Starfleet Academy... see the episode "Tapestry".

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 05:45:21 AM »
-Rude
Actually, Picard did have hair when he was a youngster at Starfleet Academy... see the episode "Tapestry".

Here he is relaxing with a fellow cadet prior to final exams ;)

Not just hair but a beard as well.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 08:36:47 AM »
Quote from: Principal_Skin-trade
Quote from: TripeHoundRedux
Not just hair but a beard as well.

Lies, Lies, Lies! I'll never believe you! Picard was always old, distinguished and bald! ALWAYS!

La, la,la... I can't hear you.
La, la, la... filthy liars.

-Rude

PS- How funny that the episode featuring Picard with hair was called "Tapestry"
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
Quote from: Principal_Skin-trade
PS- How funny that the episode featuring Picard with hair was called "Tapestry"

I think it was originally going to be called Rug

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »
I think it was originally going to be called Rug
Well in this case, the word "Tapestry" was meant to be used as a metaphor. So calling it "Rug" would have been just plain wrong
because as far as I know, nobody uses the word "Rug" as a metaphor for anything at all, except for maybe the expression, "Hocking
a rugie,", but that is stretching the imagination a little methinks.