login

Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 20330 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 1
  • Duck!!!
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »
they died.

Is that canon?  I'm just sayin', it seems highly unlikely that every single Picard in the galaxy except Jean-Luc's grandfather simultaneously took a vow of celibacy, leaving JL & Robert the absolute last hope for carrying on the family name.  There must be a 2nd or 3rd or 52nd cousin living contemporaneously out there somewhere.  Trust me - I know there are dozens of Bowdens in this country I have no chance of ever meeting, but with whom I share common DNA.  Neither I nor my sister have children, but we are not by any means the "last" Bowdens, even if all our first cousins and their progeny were removed from the equation.

But then again, I may be missing vital information about the Great Picard Genocide of 2597 about which every Star Trek geek knows the name of every single Picard who was stood up against the wall.  :P

It ain't that important - I simply thought "no more Picards" was just overly melodramatic.

Judging by these four films, "no more Picards" is a good thing.

And no more Soong androids might be even better.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:02 PM »

Judging by these four films, "no more Picards" is a good thing.

And no more Soong androids might be even better.

As good as the NextGen TV series was, the movies should have been a hell of a lot better.   The Bragga/Berman duo just killed the franchise.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
As good as the NextGen TV series was, the movies should have been a hell of a lot better.   The Bragga/Berman duo just killed the franchise.

No denying that.   The fact that only one out of four was decent (and even then was barely a Trek movie) says to me that the good one was a happy accident....

I'm just also saying that in retrospect, Data should have died at the end of First Contact.  It would have spared us the creepy Michael Jackson-ish "I want to play with the kids" crap in Insurrection and there would be no B-arf (B-9) - Trek's answer to Jar-Jar Binks.

I thought that was who he was. I kept checking his ears.

I just noticed this....we've got a J-Men Forever fan here?    :D

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2007, 08:23:36 PM »
they died.

Is that canon?  I'm just sayin', it seems highly unlikely that every single Picard in the galaxy except Jean-Luc's grandfather simultaneously took a vow of celibacy, leaving JL & Robert the absolute last hope for carrying on the family name.  There must be a 2nd or 3rd or 52nd cousin living contemporaneously out there somewhere.  Trust me - I know there are dozens of Bowdens in this country I have no chance of ever meeting, but with whom I share common DNA.  Neither I nor my sister have children, but we are not by any means the "last" Bowdens, even if all our first cousins and their progeny were removed from the equation.

But then again, I may be missing vital information about the Great Picard Genocide of 2597 about which every Star Trek geek knows the name of every single Picard who was stood up against the wall.  :P

It ain't that important - I simply thought "no more Picards" was just overly melodramatic.

hey, I am the last remaining "Reed" from my family line, so I can believe it.

I restate my *hello ladies* comment.

Similar situation here, I am the last in my branch of the tree, it's not that there are no Picard's anywhere, more, last Picard in amongst your family who count. Like I am clearly not the last McNaughton, but I am in my part of the family that I know, and I have have thought before, that if I kicked the bucket that would be the end of that Branch of the tree.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2007, 12:28:33 AM »
they died.

In the movie, Picard learns that his brother and nephew just burned to death, leaving him as "the last Picard." Presuambly, that's the last Picard in his family, or at least the last Picard left to run their eponymous vineyard, and not the entire galaxy. If all the cousins on my father's side were suddenly struck down, I'd be dismayed at being "the last Brady," despite their being a plentiful supply of Bradys in the world. (I'd be more dismayed by the sudden death of all my cousins, though...) Anyway, the "last Picard" thing was just a plot device, and far from the weakest one in the movie.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2007, 06:33:04 AM »
Hey, there are only three males that can carry the Vernon line, myself being one and my two male cousins being the other. (One of my cousins, a crazy Virginia hippie hillbilly, (I meant that as a term of affection,) has already had a male heir, so the pressure's off me. Unless the poor kid ends up eating the wrong kind of mushroom off Dan's farm.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2007, 09:00:25 AM »

We've got two.  ;)

Awaaaaay.....
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »

We've got two.  ;)

Awaaaaay.....

"Where's my spring board?  Oh, there it is!  Ahhhh, my shoes are on fire!!!!"

;)

Offline cheezymunkay

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »
I learned that even though when asked why Soren(sp?) doesn't just fly a ship into the Nexus they say he can't do that but Damn it if that is how Kirk wants to get in there that is damn well fine.