login

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208457 times)

Offline dr9553

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
I tried the mac version of mixing the RiffTrax audio with the movie and I believe it to be flawed.  What you end up with is a file that has been compressed, decompressed, compressed, and messed with so much that the video gets totally destroyed.  The problem is that you need to be using the .VOB files that get from using MacTheRipper but instead of compressing them into a .Mp4 file, use ffmpegX to DEMUX (split the digital audio file from the digital video file).  What you will get by doing this is a clean video section and a clean audio section.  The audio will be an .AC3 file that you can combine with the RiffTrax file in Audacity.  Then when you have the audio files combined and how you like them, convert the .mp3 you got in Audacity back to an .AC3 file.  Then MUX the digital audio back together with the video file you DEMUXed.  You should end up with a .VOB file that you can burn to a dvd in 10 minutes.  The video will be perfect and the audio will be perfect.  I use toast titanium 7 to burn DVD's.

A simpler way to do this is to DEMUX the streams with MacTheRipper in the first place. To do that all you have to do is:

1. click on the Modes tab and select Title - Chapter Extraction from the drop down menu.
2. Check the Demux box
3. Select the Audio Tracks you want along with the video track and click GO!

The only other thing I like to do is convert the MP3 rifftrax file to a 16-bit Stereo 48kHz WAV file to make sure it is going to sync up with the movies audio.

If anyone would like a more in depth guide on using some non free programs to recreate the original DVD with customized rifftrax branded menus and what not just send me a pm and i will put one together.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Cool!!  Thanks for the assistance!
On timeout

Offline AJLeatherman

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • A Polar Bear fell on me...
I've been using DL DVDs for some of the bigger sized movies, and I haven't had any problems.  For making Rifftrax DVDs, I've been using the software in the guide (DVD Encrypter, etc.), and for straight backup purposes I've used either CloneDVD2, Nero, or DVDLab, depending on certain DVDs having trouble burning with some programs, and I've never had a problem with using DL.

Offline EEPiccolo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Thanks for the info, AJLeatherman!

Offline dr9553

• Blue Beer Drinker
I have posted a little guide for the mac users on how to make a lossless version of the movie, with no menus.

http://www.quickstream.tv/rifftrax/

can you please post this in the first post under the first link.

I am also going to be working on a guide on making a DVD with menus that will pick up where this guide leaves off.

Donald

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5008
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
I also have mastered the art of creating the DVD with the Rifftrax applied to the movie as well by using DVD Shrink 3.2, or for those 'stubborn' ones; a legally purchased version of Magic DVD Ripper. I then capture the backed up movie through Pinnacle Studio 9. When the capture is completed, I then edit it by adding the Rifftrax MP3 file to it, line up the audio track with Disembaudio's help, and make the two onto 1 disc!
Note: The Rifftrax audio can be increased or decreased as well to get the best result of enjoyability BEFORE the Final stage of making the New DVD!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 08:13:26 AM by RVR II »

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
Fun

• Mr Bungle
I have posted a little guide for the mac users on how to make a lossless version of the movie, with no menus.

I am also going to be working on a guide on making a DVD with menus that will pick up where this guide leaves off.

Donald

Yep!  This is what I do.  It works great.
Great tutorial!
On timeout

• Mr Bungle

Donald

Is there a way of creating chapters after you have recombined the rifftrax commentary with the original soundtrack and the video?
Can you name your audio streams so when you play the eventual dvd with your dvd player it shows:  Audiotrack 1 = Rifftrax Commentary, Audiotrack 2 = Dolby 5.1, etc...  ?  When I mux the video and audio with ffmpegx I put back the original audiotrack of the movie as a seperate audio track along with the seperate RiffTrax audiotrack mix, but I can't name it.  This is small thing but kind of annoying.
On timeout

Offline dr9553

• Blue Beer Drinker
im not sure how to rename it so it says Rifftrax or Dolby 5.1, i will look into it.  As far as chapters goes i think that is a feature that may be coming in the next versions of ffmpegx.  but i will look into that also. Another guide will be coming using the following NOT free apps:
DVD Studio Pro
Final Cut Pro
Cinematize Pro

These are the apps i use to create a dvd with menus and what not.

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • (see: pointed simian)
Many thanks to SecretAgentSuperDragon for his wonderful guide.  Also thanks to those of you who posted additional info that's been used to update the guide. 

I relied upon the in-depth guide (not Lite) and I found it to be straightforward and easy to use.  Lord of the Rings was my first effort and the initial burn was sadly botched by a lack of subtitles or chapters, but the video and sound quality are spot-on!   Thankfully I found the steps I missed in IfoEdit and am prepping the final version as I write this.  If everything checks out then more projects are sure to follow.  I'm pleased that I was able to get this far even though I've never used a single program that your guide referred to.  Nice work!

Thanks a million!  Video editing has always intimidated me, until now...  MWA HA HA! 

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
yes....come join the dark side of Rifftrax.....re-authoring >:D

Offline eclipt1c

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Edit: Nevermind, found what I needed.  Thanks again to SuperDragon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:48:14 PM by eclipt1c »
'Skip to the End' - Spaced

Offline myspace.com/thejobot

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • Joe "The Jobot" Muehter's official site
I'm gonna try this sometime if only to eliminate the embarassment of having Crossroads on DVD  ;D
RIFFIN' USA!!!!!!

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • (see: pointed simian)
I have successfully used the main guide to re-author a Rifftrax DVD of Fantastic 4.  Here are my findings:

• I'd advise ripping the English 6 channel audio, because the English 2 channel audio is a commentary.
  • Even after using the "normalize WAV" feature in PX3Convert, the movie audio had a lot of highs and lows that drowned out Mike & Kev's nuggets of wisdom.  I think you'll be happier with your results if you take time to reduce the movie's audio levels during loud moments (or use a Goldwave method that I understand does this for you automatically).   
  • The movie is compact enough that no compression was needed by DVD-Shrink (ISO with Rifftrax audio only came it at 4.11GB).   I re-authored again to include the original 6 channel audio, which filled the extra space nicely. 

Thanks again to SuperDragon for teaching a man to fish! 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 12:29:51 PM by SharpMonkey »