login

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208473 times)

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2007, 03:33:02 PM »
Shinigami usually puts subtitles up here, but they unfortunately are in .srt format. You can try googling for your .sup file for whatever movie your doing, or, you can find a srt to sup converting program to download. Check out www.videohelp.com/tools

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
Subtitle Creator, it'll create a sup from an srt.  .srt's are smaller, editable, and are pretty easy to make into .sup's with subtitle creator.

I have a guide here http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php?topic=1105.0

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2007, 11:50:51 PM »
I've tried that method, but if I use IfoEdit, it fails and says "too many dropped frames" and if I use Rejig, it just flat out crashes near the end.
I've tried creating subs through other methods found elsewhere, and it'll author the DVD, but the subtitles don't actually work.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2007, 08:47:01 AM »
When I used rejig's subtitles, they popped on the screen about a second late for Daredevil, but I just said what the heck. Good enough for me. I would just try finding an sup file of the specific subtitle you want off the internet.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »
I've never heard about that problem.  Perhaps you could try Muxman.  That's what I've been using lately for DVD authoring and the results are quite good.  I can post a guide on it soon.

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
I got ifoedit to finally run through.  Took me a while to figure out why I was getting green subs.  Even after I thought I had it fixed, it's still got a green outline.  Oh well, close enough.  Rejig still crashes though.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
I got ifoedit to finally run through.  Took me a while to figure out why I was getting green subs.  Even after I thought I had it fixed, it's still got a green outline.  Oh well, close enough.  Rejig still crashes though.

Should have said that's the problem, I have a ready solution to that.  The issue is that the CLUT (color lookup table) in the ifo file doesn't correspond to the colors defined in the .sup.  Finding a .sup online is not going to solve this.  I'll go ahead and post the sections from my incomplete DVD authoring guide to describe how to fix this.  I'm also including guide on using muxman.  The thing to remember is, in Subtitle Creator you can open an .ifo file.  Open the .ifo of the demux DVD.  Then you can select a color pallete you like.  EVERY COLOR PICK FOR THE SUBTITLE MUST BE UNIQUE, OTHERWISE YOU RISK SOME ERRORS.  Then you use the instructions below to replace the CLUT from the demuxed .ifo to the authored .ifo.  The result is instant correct subtitles.

Notes:

There's a free version of muxman and a pay one, I use the free one.

The CLUT varies from DVD to DVD, all you need is a .ifo that you can copy the CLUT from.  Try saving the .ifo from the ifoedit authored dvd, then load that file in Subtitle Creator every time you make a DVD.  I believe IfoEdit uses the same CLUT every time.

Guide:

Mux DVD
   Open up Muxman.  Where it says "Video" click "..." and select the .m2v file.  Under audio, add the audio streams you wish to use, in case you want to add the original audio.  The first stream will be the one to play by default.  Select the language for each stream and set the delay if there is one.  The mixed audio won't have a delay since BeLight automatically removes delay, but if you add the original audio and don't want to remove the delay with a program like DelayCut, you can add the delay here.  The delay will be specified in the filename.  Under SubPictures, add the letterbox subtitle stream you produced earlier.  Click the "LB" button and set the language.  Select the "2" radio button and then add the widescreen subtitle stream.  Click the "Wide" button and set the langauge.  If the video is Full Screen, then you only need to set a single subtitle stream.  Next, click File->Import Chapter and select the "VTS_01 - Chapter Information - IfoEdit.txt" file in your decrypted folder.  Finally, select the Destination Folder where you want the muxed DVD to be created.  Click "Start" and go take another coffee break.

Fix CLUT
      Unfortunately, the colors for your subtitles will be incorrect right after you mux it with muxman.  You can use DVDSubEdit to see what they will look like.  In order to fix the colors, you need to copy the CLUT table stored in the .ifo from the decrypted DVD to the newly muxed DVD.  To do this, open up IfoEdit and click "Open".  Select the "VTS_01_0.ifo" from the decypted DVD.  In the upper portion, expand "VTS_PGCITI" and select "VTS_PGC_1".  Click Subtitle Color->Copy Colors from this PGC.  Next, click "Open" again and this time select the "VTS_01_0.ifo" from the muxed DVD.  Again, select "VTS_PGC_1" under "VTS_PGCITI" and then click Subtitle Color->Paste Colors.  Click "Save" and when it prompts you to save the .bup, click "Yes".  You can now check the colors in DVDSubEdit.

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
At first they weren't showing up at all.  But with liberal uses of tinkering, I was finally able to get them to show up, in brilliant green blobs.  I eventually did figure out the CLUT thing and I got it all working correctly now.  I've done a few movies now and have my own methods.  Although Rejig still crashes for some reason while trying to author the movie, so I just use IFOEdit to do that.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »
If rejig is crashing, make sure everything is in NTSC format (I'm assuming your NTSC), and maybe go to settings and fiddle around with the new engine and old engine options.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2007, 06:30:08 AM »
I rarely alter any settings from movie to movie, a couple of times with the earlier riffs I altered the volume level of the rifftrax but I haven't felt the need to do that lately. If you feel such threads would be useful, feel free to start some.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2007, 07:07:51 AM »
Daredevil is one you will definitely have to normalize, then turn up the speaking parts. As far as the chapters, I had a bit of the same problem. Turns out, next to the Chapter tab in rejig, there is a pull down tab that let's you choose PAL or NTSC based on the type of DVD you have. It is automatically set on PAL, so move it to NTSC, and then try burning it. It fixed the problem for me in Battlefield Earth. Hope it helps.

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »
So far all the disks I've made I haven't had any volume problems except LOTR.  the volume on that one was all over the place, even after normalized volume via PX3 Convert.  I used the GoldWave Voice Over plugin to help out, but it was still pretty bad overall.  There was some incredibly quiet moments, especially the very beginning, and some louder parts that nearly blocked out the rifftrack.  Hopefully LOTR is the exception as all the others so far have turned out fine with a simple level adjustment prior to the mixing step.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2007, 06:32:24 PM »
YAY!  :D

I just did my first reauthor on Halloween.

Thanks to all the great tips in this thread.  It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2007, 09:26:32 PM »
Congrats.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
Congrats.

Thanks.

Your instructions were perfect.

It took me like three hours to do Halloween, but only like an hour or so to do Troll 2.  So I guess I'm getting better at it.