Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208429 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
You don't have to watch on your computer unless you're using the Rifftrax player, though to do things the "old fashioned" way you will need a separate device for the mp3 to play on, either your computer, a standalone mp3 player, or a cd player that can read data cds.  Play the mp3 while you watch the movie on ypur tv's mp3 player.

If you do want to keep trying to reauthor, I'm not entirely sure what would be causing your sync issues.  When you combine the audio tracks, did you move the movie audio or just the riff audio?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
If you do want to keep trying to reauthor, I'm not entirely sure what would be causing your sync issues.  When you combine the audio tracks, did you move the movie audio or just the riff audio?

Ronin brings up a good point.  I assume you're using Audacity to combine the audio tracks.  In a few of my earliest reauthors, I mistakenly cut from the movie audio track to improve the sync.  It got the Disembaudio lines to match up, but the video and audio were off.  Never cut from the movie audio track.  If the Disembaudio lines are playing before the same lines in the movie and you need to move them forward, the best practice is:

1) Figure out how far out of sync Disembaudio and the movie sync line is.  Depending on how much finesse you need ( I like to sync it up to the tenth of a second), you'll have to zoom in.
2) So if you know this, you need to copy and paste.  Let's say Disembaudio is uttering his lines 2.3 seconds ahead of the movie.  Highlight 2.3 seconds of the Rifftrax in Audacity (any 2.3 seconds, it doesn't matter).  Audacity is really neat in that it makes it super easy to select very precise times by zooming in further.  But anyway, select 2.3 seconds of Rifftrax audio.  Go to Edit > Copy (make sure you use COPY and not cut). 
3) Go back to the start of the Rifftrax.  Select Edit>Paste.   The audio will be copied and highlighted in Audacity.
4) With that section of audio highlighted, select Generate>Silence.

By doing this, you'll have pushed the entire Rifftrax forward, and all the Disembaudio sync lines will fall into place.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom

The VIDEO_TS folders should be produced by your reauthor program, either Rejig or IFO Edit (depending on which guide you're using).  I've seen Rejig give me that kind of trouble before.  What program are you using?  What movie is it?  That could be important.  I've had a few movies go nuts in Rejig during the creation of the VIDEO_TS folders and the IFO files.

It's also possible that the VIDEO_TS folder was created, but it's not where you're looking.  Some programs will create a VIDEO_TS in a default location that may be separate from where the rest of your files are.  Pay attention to where you're asking it to place the reauthored files.
I used both, but spent the most time using Rejig and following the Lite guide.
The movie is Spider-man (the first one).
The re-author asked me to name the output folder (which I think I just named "output"), and it put a .VOB file inside that folder.  Are you saying if I re-mane the folder "VIDEO_TS" that would work?  I think the next step was asking me for a file, not a folder, but I'll definitely give that a shot if you think it might work.

Hmm.

What Rejig should do is, in the output folder that you specify, automatically create a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subfolder within there.  The VIDEO_TS should have VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.IFO, and several .VOB files.  The IFO files should be pretty small (less than 100 Kb), and the .VOB files will be around 1 Gb.  Here's a screenshot from a recent re-author of Glitter.

(although that's a bit of a misnomer since I stopped using Rejig for the authoring phase once I started making menus.

Did you put chapter times in your reauthor?  That's screwed me a few times.

I'll check again later with Spiderman to see if it gave/gives me any trouble.

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
1) Figure out how far out of sync Disembaudio and the movie sync line is.  Depending on how much finesse you need ( I like to sync it up to the tenth of a second), you'll have to zoom in.
Is there a way to do this precisely?  I guess I can count seconds from when I hear the line to when I see it to get roughly where it should be ("one... two... three... four... ah-ha! four seconds") but I can't think of a way I could get it very precise without just randomly guessing and encoding the movie dozens of times.

What Rejig should do is, in the output folder that you specify, automatically create a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subfolder within there.  The VIDEO_TS should have VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.IFO, and several .VOB files.  The IFO files should be pretty small (less than 100 Kb), and the .VOB files will be around 1 Gb.  Here's a screenshot from a recent re-author of Glitter.
It definitely didn't create anything but the .VOB file, and I tried re-doing the process over and got the same result again.   ???

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
Is there a way to do this precisely?  I guess I can count seconds from when I hear the line to when I see it to get roughly where it should be ("one... two... three... four... ah-ha! four seconds") but I can't think of a way I could get it very precise without just randomly guessing and encoding the movie dozens of times.

I do it visually.  That's the cool thing about Audacity.  You can see the sound and cut, paste, and generate silences to fill them.  Take a look at this screenshot from me trying to sync up a movie.  Notice that you can see where the Diseambaudio sync line is and where the regular movie soundtrack says it (it's not actually labelled in a real reauthor, but you listen and watch the waveforms in Audacity to figure it out).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
It definitely didn't create anything but the .VOB file, and I tried re-doing the process over and got the same result again.   ???

That is odd....  Maybe try IFO Edit instead of Rejig.  I've hit that wall a few times.

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
Ok, I'll try IFOEdit and report back.  Hopefully that will do it.
For the sync thing, though; I don't think that Audacity would work because the two audios are already in perfect sync with each other, so the visuals already line up.  The problem is that both audio tracks are out of sync with the video.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
Ok, I'll try IFOEdit and report back.  Hopefully that will do it.
For the sync thing, though; I don't think that Audacity would work because the two audios are already in perfect sync with each other, so the visuals already line up.  The problem is that both audio tracks are out of sync with the video.

Oh yeah that.  Yeah that's a tough nut to crack.  I often don't even notice until I've finished the reauthor and burnt it to DVD.  I just did Swing Parade, and it's really bad on that one.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Probably off-topic, but in response to making it easier to sync, they should offer 2 mp3s so that people can burn it to two CDs if they don't have an mp3 player or a way to set one up. That would work for roughly any movie under 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
For some reason IfoEdit hasn't been working for me lately. It used to work just fine, but now it just doesn't seem to be muxing very well. The resulting DVD won't play correctly in WMP and the time is off (e.g., 1:32 for 1:55 on Alien). Luckily Muxman works fine, but seems to get the chapters off sometimes, not to mention the sub colors. At least IfoEdit is still good for that.

Offline shortstak37

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Hello this is my first time doing this and I tried checking to see if anyone else is having the problem and nothing has come up so sorry if it has been asked before. I just bought The Dark Knight riff and I am trying to follow the guide but every time I use DVD Decrypt it gets to the 5th IFO VTS and it freezes and eventually gives me a VPTSM Runtime Error and then continues running then eventually shuts it self down.I then tired Rejig and when it gets to the trying to correct the audio delay I get that the program is not responding. Is there some special thing that I need to do that I am not doing correctly?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
Hello this is my first time doing this and I tried checking to see if anyone else is having the problem and nothing has come up so sorry if it has been asked before. I just bought The Dark Knight riff and I am trying to follow the guide but every time I use DVD Decrypt it gets to the 5th IFO VTS and it freezes and eventually gives me a VPTSM Runtime Error and then continues running then eventually shuts it self down.I then tired Rejig and when it gets to the trying to correct the audio delay I get that the program is not responding. Is there some special thing that I need to do that I am not doing correctly?

Dark Knight is one of those DVDs with pesky extra protection that makes DVD Decrypter spaz out.  You need to download and use DVD Fab.  This thread goes into more detail.

I recall what I had to do was make some kind of clone of The Dark Knight, burn that onto DVD, then re-rip from that.  I used a DVD-RW which I erased and reused after the reauthoring was finished.  You could also just make an ISO of The Dark Knight, mount that as a virtual drive (using VirtualCloneDrive), and rip that.

Anyway, check out the thread I linked to before for additional help.

Offline shortstak37

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Thanks for the info but I have tried DVDFab but I can not find the ISO files I did a little hunting and it seems that DVDFab 5.2.3.2 (the lastest version) does not create ISO Files or atleast the the free version. Is there a place to download DVDFab 5.1.2.2 since i read that is the last version that creates the ISO files to mount on the virtual drive?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 540
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Rather than searching all 45 pages of this thread, could somebody kindly direct me to a tutorial that shows me how to burn my own version of the movie (mostly know how to do that already) but with the option to switch multiple audio tracks.  Mac preferred.  Thanks.

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
Rather than searching all 45 pages of this thread, could somebody kindly direct me to a tutorial that shows me how to burn my own version of the movie (mostly know how to do that already) but with the option to switch multiple audio tracks.  Mac preferred.  Thanks.
Not sure about Mac, but the original post does show you how to do that. Whether you use DVD Flick, or IFOEdit, they give you the option to use multiple video tracks.

Hope that helps!