Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208471 times)

IronPigeon

Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 12:12:33 PM »
For some reason all I get is noise when I open up the dvd audio file with goldwave.  That's if it even recognizes the ac3 file at all.  What am I doing wrong?

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 01:25:38 PM »
For the Mac people having problems, consider authoring the DVD to any size you want, getting access to a friend's PC, transfering the Video_TS folder over, then DVDShrinking it.  It's a hassle yes, but DVD Shrink is just TOO spiffy.  It defies all measures of spiffiness.  It's spifftastic.

Offline Qrusher14242

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 06:25:04 PM »
DVD2one is a great program for shrinking too. I can shrink a 7 gig down to 4gig with menus and still have it look good.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
For some reason all I get is noise when I open up the dvd audio file with goldwave.  That's if it even recognizes the ac3 file at all.  What am I doing wrong?

If you try to play it in AC3 mode in Goldwave, it won't go. You only use goldwave to save the ac3 file as a wav file. Then you open it up in audacity to edit. Just try reading the guide a little closer.

Offline EVOLUTION117

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
Hey all, kind of long term MST3K fan (it's amazing what you'll stumble upon at one o'clock in the morning on a Sunday) and now of course a Rifftrax fan.

So, I'm just gonna dive right in here and ask for help with this guide, specifically the 'Audacity' section.

Basically, I can't do anything. I've extracted the DVD video and audio using DVD Decrypter, I've fixed the DVD audio using delaycut, I've converted the DVD audio and the Rifftrax to Wav and I've placed them both in Audacity.

But it won't do anything. I can play the files, and I can highlight them, but once I've highlighted a section, i.e. the Rifftrax intro in order for it to be cut, it won't let me cut the audio. It won't let me do anything that it should once the selection has been highlighted.

So, what am I doing wrong?

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2006, 09:52:50 PM »
Hey all, kind of long term MST3K fan (it's amazing what you'll stumble upon at one o'clock in the morning on a Sunday) and now of course a Rifftrax fan.

So, I'm just gonna dive right in here and ask for help with this guide, specifically the 'Audacity' section.

Basically, I can't do anything. I've extracted the DVD video and audio using DVD Decrypter, I've fixed the DVD audio using delaycut, I've converted the DVD audio and the Rifftrax to Wav and I've placed them both in Audacity.

But it won't do anything. I can play the files, and I can highlight them, but once I've highlighted a section, i.e. the Rifftrax intro in order for it to be cut, it won't let me cut the audio. It won't let me do anything that it should once the selection has been highlighted.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Hey, welcome to the board, now let me see if I can fix your problem.
So you went ahead and ripped the dvd in ifo mode with no filesplitting and both the video and audio were in demux mode. You said you converted them both to wav using goldwave or whatever other software you might of used. (I've tried to use Belight, but it messed around with audacity, so I just stick with Goldwave for converting). Now their both converted to wav. You open up audacity and you drag the movie audio in, then you drag the rifftrax in below the movie audio so that the audio is on top, and the rifftrax is on bottom.

But you say when you try to highlight it, it won't cut or do anything. Hmmm. ???

That's happened to me a couple times actually, and I found out what it was. If you try to play the audio tracks together and then you pause it, it won't let you do anything to the track. You have to actually stop it instead of pausing it. You'll know the difference, because when its paused, the play button and pause button are pushed in(indented) but when it is just stopped, none of the buttons are indented and you should be able to mess around with the rifftrax syncing then.

Go ahead and try that and let me know what happens. That's the only thing I can think of, so good luck. It should work.

Offline Largento

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2006, 07:18:10 AM »
Hi! Tarantulas suggested this post should be transplanted here.

This is a step-by-step guide to how I've been preparing my RiffTrax movies on a Mac. The really novel part here is that I've used GarageBand's "Ducking" feature to easily automate mixing the audio. Ducking lowers the background audio whenever someone on the lead track speaks. It's perfect for this sort of thing and works great!

Anyway, here's a paste of the other post:

Okay, I just fooled around with some stuff in GarageBand and I think I've found a good way to make use of Apple's GarageBand to do this.

Obviously, on a Mac...

1) I ripped my movie onto my computer using Handbrake. This gave me an mp4 movie file.

2) I then opened up the RiffTrax mp3 in Quicktime Pro and trimmed away the intro audio. (This could be done in another app, maybe even in GarageBand. I'm not sure. I use it again at the end, so I'd say it's required. At least to do this the way I did it.)

3) I opened GarageBand and created a new project as a Soundtrack for a Movie. Because GarageBand limits the time to 1999 measures, I set the BPM down to 60, which gave me plenty of room. I then dragged the mp4 movie to the Video Track and let GarageBand convert it. This takes a few minutes and there's some slowdown while it creates little thumbnails along the timeline. These thumbnails are helpful, though, so it's worth it.

4) With the mp4 imported, I have a Video Track and a Video Sound Track. I pressed the play button and waited for the movie to get to where the RiffTrax would start. (In this case, I was using the X-Men RiffTrax and it was going to start after Patrick Stewart's opening narration.) I pressed the play button again to stop the playhead at about where I needed the new audio track to start.

5) Now I dragged the audio file I trimmed in Quicktime Pro into GarageBand placing it as close to the playhead as I could. (I de-selected Snap to Grid in the Control menu.)

6) Once the new audio track was loaded, I used the right arrow button to scroll to the scene in Rogue's house, where the first audio sync occurs ("Otherwise it wouldn't be an adventure.") I clicked on the measure count at the top to set the playhead and played the audio. It wasn't perfectly synced, but it was close. So I spent awhile dragging the RiffTrax clip back and forth and then backing up the playhead and playing the line again and again until I got them to sync right.

7) Okay, now here's where the great thing comes in... Ducking!

Go under the Control menu and select "Ducking" and a set of up and down arrows will appear to the right of the controls on the audio tracks. Go to the up arrow on your RiffTrax track and click it. It'll turn yellow and the down arrow on the Video Sound track will turn blue.

If you don't have the project info pane open, click the "i" button to open it. and then click the triangle next to "Details." Make sure the track info is set to "Master Track." and look down in the Details section for a slider next to the words "Ducking Amount." I set mine to 50. You can experiment with this if you like.

What Ducking does is automatically lower the volume of the backing track when the lead track speaks! So by setting those arrows to make the RiffTrax track the lead track and then setting the Ducking Amount to 50, whenever Mike or Bill makes a noise, the backing track (the Video Sound track) automatically lowers its volume by half!

Cool With this done, I went under the share menu and selected "Send Movie to iDVD."

9) Once it finished converting and opened iDVD, I saved the GarageBand project and then closed iDVD. I then went to my "Music" folder and opened the GarageBand folder and selected the project I made. I control-clicked it and selected "Show Package Contents." This let me get to the files it had created. In the "Output" folder, there was a folder called "iDVD" and in that folder was a file called "Output.aif." I option-dragged it to my desktop to make a copy of it. (As you would expect, it's a big file! over 1GB.)

10) I then went to Quicktime Pro again and opened the mp4 movie I'd made with Handbrake. I went under the Window menu and selected "Show Movie Properties." I selected the Video Track and clicked the Extract button. This made a new Untitled movie with just the video.

11) Then I opened up the Output.aif file with Quicktime Pro and did Select All and Copy.

12) With the Untitled movie selected, I made sure the playhead was at the very beginning of the movie and selected "Add to Movie" from the Edit menu.

13) I then saved the new movie as a self-contained movie.

And it worked great! From there, I could've put it into iDVD, but I was going to watch it on my computer, so I put it in my Movies folder and fired up Front Row.

The sync held all the way through and the Ducking worked really great!

So, I thought I would share...

Offline EVOLUTION117

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »
Stopping the track instead of pausing it?

OF COURSE! GENIUS!

If you're playing the track in Audacity and then Pause it, Audacity's still going to think that your still going to be playing the file and thus won't allow you to edit it.

It'd be like an Editor trying to cut a scene from a film whilst the reel's still in the camera and rolling.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
Cool. Glad it worked for ya. :)

Offline xjason

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2006, 09:37:15 PM »
I just followed the guide from SecretAgentSuperDragon on StarTrekV and it worked great.  Once I figured out how to stop DVD Decrypter from splitting the M2V into 1 gig files I just followed it step by step and it worked perfectly.

Yes there are some times when the movie audio drowns out the riffs but I can easily live with that. 

Much love to the SuperDragon!

Offline James of LinHood

• Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
First of all, thank you SuperAgentSuperDragon for your excellent guide.  I used your guide for Point Break but I've run into an annoying problem.

The DVD works fine except that every time there's a gunshot, explosion, or other loud sound effect I can hear crackling.  It's not so bad that I can't watch the film but it'd be great if I could fix that.  Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »
First of all, thank you SuperAgentSuperDragon for your excellent guide.  I used your guide for Point Break but I've run into an annoying problem.

The DVD works fine except that every time there's a gunshot, explosion, or other loud sound effect I can hear crackling.  It's not so bad that I can't watch the film but it'd be great if I could fix that.  Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Sounds like your audio is clipping, or distorting, caused by levels that are too high. Perhaps there is a feature in the editing software that allows you to tame any distortion, or smooth out the audio to avoid clipping.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »

I Just did Point Break myself, but didn't run into any problem with audacity. Which audio were you using? The  DTS, the 6 channel, or the 2 channel.

I personally use the 2 channel on every dvd I do just to make it easier, and to be honest, I can't tell a difference in sound quality. Here's a helpful hint when doing Point Break over again: Highlight the commentary and amplify by about 20% or so, that way you will be able to hear Mike riff over the "Pure Adrenaline" scenes.

Offline James of LinHood

• Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2006, 02:51:21 AM »
I Just did Point Break myself, but didn't run into any problem with audacity. Which audio were you using? The  DTS, the 6 channel, or the 2 channel.

I personally use the 2 channel on every dvd I do just to make it easier, and to be honest, I can't tell a difference in sound quality. Here's a helpful hint when doing Point Break over again: Highlight the commentary and amplify by about 20% or so, that way you will be able to hear Mike riff over the "Pure Adrenaline" scenes.

I also used 2 channel.  I guess I won't worry about it unless it happens again when I redo Point Break.  Thanks for the tip about adjusting the commentary audio.  I'll be sure to do that.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »
Another quick question: Did you convert both files to Wav format? I haven't tried mixing the mp3 rifftrax and the Movie wav audio file together, but I don't know if it will cause problems or not. To be safe, just convert the rifftrax mp3 to a wav file. That's the way I do it, and it works everytime.

PS: I found out that it doesn't really matter if you use the six channel or two channel. Actually, with The Matrix, you have to use the six channel because all of the two channels are commentary tracks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 08:33:00 AM by SecretAgentSuperDragon »