Author Topic: Chris Benoit WWE Superstar and Family found dead this morning.  (Read 11133 times)

jasimon1

Re: Chris Benoit WWE Superstar and Family found dead this morning.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
Reported By Patrick W. Boucher  on Jun 26, 2007 - 6:23:58 PM

TVWeek.com is reporting that Vince McMahon will open up tonight's ECW on Sci Fi broadcast to publicly apologize for the three hour tribute to Chris Benoit last night. The tribute aired before knowledge of Benoit's guilt in the murders of his son and wife as well as his own suicide.

Offline Mr. 420

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • And thats when Lincoln said "Don't diss my homies"
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

TVWeek.com is reporting that Vince McMahon will open up tonight's ECW on Sci Fi broadcast to publicly apologize for the three hour tribute to Chris Benoit last night. The tribute aired before knowledge of Benoit's guilt in the murders of his son and wife as well as his own suicide.

Vince handled it ok..the dedication to everyone effected by the situation was right, and by the looks of Cena vs Nitro for the first match i think he's gonna give one hell of a show tonight
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »
This whole situation just makes me want to look at old WWF/WWE episodes, but the only thing I have from back then is a copy of WWF: No Mercy for the N64. Does anyone know any websites were I can find old tapes? (I hate to call them episodes)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »
I'm just glad they dumped the whole "Vince McMahan is dead" thing in light of the recent events. I don't really actively watch anymore unless I'm EXTREMELY bored, but my brother is an avid fan and still talks to me as though I was watching it with him every day... and the whole McMahan thing seemed in very poor taste to me. It would have been even worse to carry on with it considering the actual deaths that took place.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »
This whole situation just makes me want to look at old WWF/WWE episodes, but the only thing I have from back then is a copy of WWF: No Mercy for the N64. Does anyone know any websites were I can find old tapes? (I hate to call them episodes)

*cough* bittorrent *cough*
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 02:58:03 AM »
I'm Numb... but not as numb as I want to be.

I got a call at work yesterday from my ex telling me that Benoit and Nancy were dead and my first thought was car accident, I was busy so couldn't stay on the phone long and just went back to work without it really registering.

About 30 minutes of staring blankly at the screen later I realized she'd said "found dead" and called back, that's when she told me about the double murder/suicide. I assumed it was Nancy thinking that maybe it had something to do with the time Benoit took off last year to 'take care of her' and his skipping the PPV for a similarly vague reason. Sort of slipped between sadness and shock all day, planning on coming home, ordering a Benoit shirt online (figuring the money would go to his other kids), drinking some beers, watching some matches and probably crying a lot.

Then I got home read the latest reports and I started feeling numb again but numb with a share of anger, anger that he could do this, that some people will remember or know about him him for only this... selfish anger that a man I considered a hero let me down and didn't let me mourn him properly (at least for now).

I find that strange, no matter what he's still dead and his friends will still miss him.  But then everything's felt strange for the last 24 hours.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 04:37:29 AM »
Here's some more stuff from wwe.com

And here's Vinces statement from the start of the ECW broadcast Tuesday night.

And finally the timeline for what the wwe knew throughout the weekend.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6964262?MSNHPHMA

The above link is FoxSport's take on the whole thing.

I think Pro Wrestling is in trouble. Previous unnatural wrestler deaths have usually been isolated to just the wrestler dying. This case, however, involves the wrestler murdering his wife and child over a two-day period prior to taking his own life.... Since this has been made totally public, I can't help but wonder where wrestling can go from here...

True, lots of wrestlers are "success" stories in terms of role modeling and career etc (such as Hogan, Macho Man, and even the Rock) but the list that Fox Sports put together is undeniably long....
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »

I don't think it's going to cripple wrestling in the long term. People have short memory spans and as sad as it sounds now... I'm sure most won't remember much about Benoit in a couple of years. If there was a string of wrestlers going crazy and killing people, then maybe... but that hasn't been the case. I can see the WWE taking a more proactive role in making sure their performers aren't addicited to meds or roids or anything else that might lead to personality shifts... but I don't see this tragic event alienating the fan base by any significant levels.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »
Wrestling itself will go on as strong as ever. The WWE itself will have to make some changes, but it, along with the rest of the wrestling world, isn't going anywhere.

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »

Compairing Benoit to a carnaval attraction? That's just bad taste in my opinion.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »

Compairing Benoit to a carnaval attraction? That's just bad taste in my opinion.

In context....

Add Chris Benoit to the long list of freakishly muscled carnival attractions for whom a pro wrestling career ended tragically.

... I don't think it's in bad taste... fairly apt actually.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
... I don't think it's in bad taste... fairly apt actually.

It's only poor taste because the whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth, the current situation merely heightens that.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »
Call me crazy... but the "bad taste" I have is due to the double-murder followed by suicide. Observing that the guy, like many wrestlers, appears like a modern day equivelent of the old carnival 'freak' strong man... that doesn't even register.

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 10:58:40 AM »
I can't see carnival freaks and wrestlers  being in regards to the same type of entertainment. They are entertaining in two different ways, but I can also see were the connection of the "strong man" leads us.

I'm still just confused about the whole thing  :-",