login

Author Topic: Death Ray 2000  (Read 1785 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Death Ray 2000
« on: June 17, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
This is the pilot for a 70s TV show called "A Man Called Sloane". For some reason, it made an impression on me almost thirty years ago and, with the miracle of eBay, I finally was able to acquire and watch it.

It turns out to be a wonderfully riffable movie. It's got everything: a smug womanizing hero, 70s music, a stupid plot, horrible dialogue, and (or course) a death ray. My wife and I got big laughs from watching it un-riffed.

Here's a clip that I particularly liked. It's a confrontation between the hero and the villian.

[yt=425,350]gqgZgc7pCT8[/yt]

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Death Ray 2000
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:06:58 PM »
Well, since it's not all that readily available on DVD, it may not be right for Rifftrax. But it might make for a great movie for The Film Crew.  Check out the movies they're releasing for Shout! Factory: http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/126/the_film_crew.aspx. What's great about these is that they're even breaking up the movies with little skits just like MST3K. Can't wait until I can get my hands on them.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 05:07:08 AM »
Well, since it's not all that readily available on DVD, it may not be right for Rifftrax. But it might make for a great movie for The Film Crew. 

Yeah, that had occurred to me. Perhaps I should've posted this in "Movie Talk" instead.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »
Great clip. Great bow tie / double-breasted suit combo on the hero. Great "Looney Tunes" type back and forth with the weapons... I was waiting for the bad guy to wind up in a Sherman tank at the next cut. I'm happy that the Film Crew venture will allow for riffing on this kind of wonderful dreck.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 01:03:22 PM »
It's got everything: a smug womanizing hero, 70s music, a stupid plot, horrible dialogue, and (or course) a death ray.

Oh, I forgot to mention: it also has a guy with a robotic hand that can use various attachments (like a blade, a screwdriver, and various drink-mixing tools for some reason). The hand also seems to respond to verbal commands.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 01:07:57 PM »
It's got everything: a smug womanizing hero, 70s music, a stupid plot, horrible dialogue, and (or course) a death ray.

Oh, I forgot to mention: it also has a guy with a robotic hand that can use various attachments (like a blade, a screwdriver, and various drink-mixing tools for some reason). The hand also seems to respond to verbal commands.

So they pretty much just jazzed up the villain from Enter the Dragon? Nice . . .

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »
Great clip. Great bow tie / double-breasted suit combo on the hero. Great "Looney Tunes" type back and forth with the weapons... I was waiting for the bad guy to wind up in a Sherman tank at the next cut. I'm happy that the Film Crew venture will allow for riffing on this kind of wonderful dreck.

I was thinking the exact same thing.   :D

Funkiest looking bow tie ever.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
Since the movie isn't commercially available, I went ahead and uploaded the entire movie to youtube:

http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=84E4468ABC833FF8

Maybe Cinematic Titanic will take note.  ;)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
Now that the main actor from this has shown up in a Rifftrax ("Snowbeast"), I thought I'd take this opportunity to remind everyone about this riffable movie. ;)

See my the previous post for a youtube link to the whole thing.