0 (0%)
Night Gallery
2 (6.9%)
The Outer Limits
3 (10.3%)
Monsters or other
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Your favorite scary anthology TV series  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Your favorite scary anthology TV series
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »
What? No love for ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK???

I'll throw a little love towards Are You Afraid of the Dark... definitely was a fan at one point in my youth (played on Nickelodeon Friday nights right?)

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 07:08:55 PM »
Twilight zone is a perfect show. it was scary(In the 1960's) but it often had some message. Whether it was political, secular, or focused on some important point of humanity... it was always a great show. Even the shows without messages always had a great story, plot line and clever endings. I always loved "The Monsters are due on maple street,", "The Fever",  "Will the real Martain please stand up?" "The eye of the beholder", "The Jeopardy Room" and "The Shelter". It was always dramatic and fun to watch. Twilight zone has got to be one show that has aged better than any other series.  I never really saw it as scary because the point of many shows was to point out a moral lesson and not exploitation of violence.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »
where's freakylinks?! god damnit!
One of the best shows Fox killed way ,way too soon. The pilot was fantastic, the regular show was good as well. Had the whole internet tie-in thing well before anything else was doing it. At the time this was going on, the only other thing that did something similar was the Blair Witch Project. Glad to see someone else enjoyed it as well.
if you are being serious that is  :)

The 50s and 60s ones are all great TZ, OL and Night Gallery (I guess that was 70s though)
As for modern, Masters of Horror on Showtime has turned out some really great stuff. The Joe Dante one Homecoming is probably the best zombie/political statement movie NOT made by George Romero. I suppose that is a really narrow field of entries, but seriously....it's really good.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:18:29 AM by JonnyFrag »
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 10:47:23 PM »
Had to vote (the original) "Twilght Zone".  Never been anything better.   ;D

....but i think the original Outer Limits is the best. It had something that was missing from The Twilight Zone. I don't know what exactly... maybe a sort of sinister edge to the stories?
"Outer Limits" more often dealt with actual bug-eyed monsters.  "Twilight Zone" the monster could just as well be us....

Why is Kolchack the Night Stalker not listed?   

Whom do I have to hurt over this?   :angry:

I'll help.  Although, being it had an ongoing storyline and the question was anthology series, it doesn't really qualify.

That's why I can't bitch and moan that "Poltergeist: The Legacy" isn't in the list.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »
Wasn't really scary, but I enjoyed Eerie, Indiana when I was a kid.
[yt=425,350]eU-DAWveB_g[/yt]

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 10:54:45 AM »

Me too!  I thought that was a great show. 

Kolchak was really amazing, the writing was constistantly good, the characters were well-rounded and fun to watch - there were really only two clunkers that I can think of, and I'm pretty sure Andy and I have the whole series on DVD.  But I voted for Twilight Zone because it's so evergreen - it's a show that's cross generational, so many people I know love it for different reasons.  My dad loves the episode where they use aliens as a metaphor for the communist scare, and I like the existential one where all the dolls are trapped in a donation bin like that play "No Exit".
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:40 AM »

Me too!  I thought that was a great show. 

Kolchak was really amazing, the writing was constistantly good, the characters were well-rounded and fun to watch - there were really only two clunkers that I can think of, and I'm pretty sure Andy and I have the whole series on DVD.  But I voted for Twilight Zone because it's so evergreen - it's a show that's cross generational, so many people I know love it for different reasons.  My dad loves the episode where they use aliens as a metaphor for the communist scare, and I like the existential one where all the dolls are trapped in a donation bin like that play "No Exit".

Uh, yeah, Kolchak and Eerie are OK... but they're not anthologies.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 11:08:13 AM »
I love pretty much all of them, but my personal favorite was the Twilight Zone, because me and my dad used to watch it when I was little, and now I have nothing but fond memories of the show.

Also throwing some love for Are You Afraid of the Dark!