login

Author Topic: Sopranos Finale  (Read 3334 times)

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
Re: Sopranos Finale
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
who knew "Don't Stop Believing" could be such a tense song? LMAO

Ain't that the truth...

My personal feeling was this:
No one got whacked. It ended the same as it started, a glimpse into the everyday life of a NJ mobster and his family. The tension that Chase created in that last scene, showing all the various characters in the diner, having his family arrive one at a time, the sound of the door chime everytime someone came in, the ambiguous glances, the guy going to the bathroom (everyone thought of the Godfather I'm sure), all of it, was just to drive home to the audience what it's like to live as Tony Soprano. Even when doing something as mundane as meeting the family at a diner for a meal, you have to be on your toes, be watchful, be paranoid, of every little thing. I'd say he handled it better than we (the audience) did... and he has to do it every day, for the rest of his life.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 07:11:07 AM »

My personal feeling was this:
No one got whacked. It ended the same as it started, a glimpse into the everyday life of a NJ mobster and his family. The tension that Chase created in that last scene, showing all the various characters in the diner, having his family arrive one at a time, the sound of the door chime everytime someone came in, the ambiguous glances, the guy going to the bathroom (everyone thought of the Godfather I'm sure), all of it, was just to drive home to the audience what it's like to live as Tony Soprano. Even when doing something as mundane as meeting the family at a diner for a meal, you have to be on your toes, be watchful, be paranoid, of every little thing. I'd say he handled it better than we (the audience) did... and he has to do it every day, for the rest of his life.

That's how I viewed it as well.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
Again -- haven't seen the finale, but my opinion on story is thus: A story should not depend on the viewer deciding the ending he/she "likes most." That's why there is a team of - you know - writers working for the show....

Again -- my opinion cannot be substantiated since I haven't yet seen the finale. Once I do, I will return with my input.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »
Based on your last statement, I predict you won't like it lol...

But ya know, David Chase is not your usual TV writer. I don't think he's ever done anything in a standard or predictable manner. Seems like he treats it more as art than entertainment, which is fine, unless you're expecting entertainment, lol.

Some Chase quotes:

I was disappointed with the ending initially. Well, actually at first I thought my cable went out lol, but then I was disappointed. After having slept on it and given it a lot of thought I've changed my mind and I actually think the ending is perfect. Perhaps the message we should take from it is that life is more about the journey than the destination (and no I didn't come up with that because they played a Journey song lol, just a coincidence).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:28:29 PM by BEERxTaco »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
I'm going to give it a few more stories.

So what's next from David Chase?

A family comedy starring Jim Belushi who is forced to move back in with his parents, who has also taken in Jim's fiesty-wise-talking grandmother.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 05:02:37 AM »
I'm going to give it a few more stories.

So what's next from David Chase?

A family comedy starring Jim Belushi who is forced to move back in with his parents, who has also taken in Jim's fiesty-wise-talking grandmother.

Sounds like a winner ;)

Offline headlesschocolatebunny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »
i so completely love twilight zone but will cheat w/ are you afraid of the dark! that show was too cool!
Gravity, thou are a heartless bitch!