Author Topic: Top Fives  (Read 43213 times)

Unky Des

Re: Top Fives
« Reply #330 on: August 09, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
H.H. Holmes was a scary/fascinating one. The guy built a massive apartment complex full of all sorts of chambers and mazes for his victims to get lost/trapped in. Was around the same era of Jack the Ripper, but in the U.S.
Definitely this! Check out the documentary on Netflix (I think it's called "Holmes"). It's exactly like a 19th century "Saw".
Watched it: the guy got off on murder and psychological torment. Horrible psycho.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
OK, let's try again.

Top 5 Fictional Serial Killers

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
OK, let's try something else..
Your top five fictional rabbits (or other lagomorphs)

Unky Des

« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
Alice's:

Beatrix Potter's:

DeForest's:

Jessica's:

Chaz and Dave's:

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
You can suggest another top five if you want...

Unky Des

« Reply #335 on: September 04, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
You can suggest another top five if you want...
Great! Thanks!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »
OK then

Top 5 Movies You Liked MUCH More Than You Expected

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2020, 05:56:30 AM »
I feel like bringing this back.

What are your top five TV shows you are currently watching

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3847
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »
1) Bob's Burgers - This show has become the highlight of my week. As a fan of adult animation, sometimes the rampant cynicism and mean-spiritedness can be too much. Bob's Burgers is a little blast of positivity and doesn't sacrifice its comedy to do it.
2) Rick and Morty - It's not a perfect show (See above RE: rampant cynicism) but it's reliably great and does its best to fill in the void Futurama left behind.
3) Venture Bros. - Can I count a show as "currently watching" when I'm the middle of a 3 year wait for the next season? I say yes! It's always a wait, but always worth the wait!
4) The Toys That Made Us - I never expected to have a documentary series on my list of top shows, but there's never been a documentary so completely in my wheelhouse.
5) Castlevania - It's pretty amazing for an adaptation of a game with a threadbare plot. The characters and their banter are great and the action is pretty good too.

Let's keep the TV talk going with Top 5 Canceled Shows.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
I won't pick shows that got a "returns" season unless those returns seasons were also cancelled.  I'll also not pick shows like Bojack Horseman where the creators wanted more seasons but still got the opportunity to end it on their turns.

1) Mystery Science Theater 3000.  Also most cancelled with three times!  There are deeper or smarter or more powerful shows but... this is great.
2) The Last Man on Earth.  Cringe comedy can be a hard sell but this is an amazing and often powerful show where the main character spends season one finding new awful lows and the subsequent seasons are about him trying to make up for it in the most obnoxious way possible.
3) Freaks and Geeks.  I almost put Firefly in this spot and I like the show but I caught up with Freaks and Geeks a few years ago and this show earned its kudos and ended just as it was REALLY picking up steam.  The first episodes are fine but are more cringe comedy focused, putting me at a distance.  When it focused more on just letting the characters get closer, the show really got impressive.
4)  Clone High.  If you don't know this one, it was a fantastic early venture from Lord and Miller (The Lego Movie, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, 21 Jump Street).  A parody of 80s, 90s and contemporary teen dramas (Dawson's Creek and 90210, in particular), the cast was made up of clones of historical figures as sexy teens.  The cast was killer, particularly Will Forte as Abe Lincoln and if you like any Lord/Miller joint, check this out.  Please.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Lw_1ElQXYOc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Lw_1ElQXYOc</a>
5) Stars Align.  Its very rare that an anime series is just up and cancelled in the middle of its run.  But at exactly the mid-point, the wonderful Stars Align got its plug pulled due to financial reasons.  The show is a teen sports drama about a kid with a good head on his shoulders and surprisingly athletic skills starts getting paid under the table to join the soft tennis club by a desperate team captain.  The kid getting paid doesn't half ass it: he not only joins the team but uses strategies to reform them.  Soon, we learn that the kid NEEDS to get paid because his family is under constant threat from an abusive divorced dad who pops in from time to time to steal stuff.  The show mixed sports fun with some surprisingly powerful character drama and while it does require a certain level of suspension disbelief (wait, 80% of these kids of some form of shitty abuse homelife) but it handles things well.  In particular, its LGBTQ themes, which Japan often has a hard time getting right.  Also, really fun end credits sequence.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GySm-6VdQyQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GySm-6VdQyQ</a>

Warning, if you see that theme start when the episode seems to end on a happy note, serious shit happens after the credits.  Brace yourself!

Oh, and the show ends on a shockingly dark cliffhanger.

EDIT:

Top 5 Pizza Toppings?