Author Topic: Pets  (Read 101238 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Pets
« Reply #780 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »
Oh, that looks great for a lot of reasons, thanks.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #781 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
I think I finally found a home for Archibald T. Kittenmewler III.

Its so hard to foster, keeping that distance.  You really grow attached to them.  And he's a real sweetheart.  Just gotta get him neutered first.

After I get him re-homed I've committed to taking in another.  Only one at a time, don't want to get overwhelmed.

BTW, my guinea Brownie seems OK.  But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.  She's very active, will come to me for petting and enjoys play time on me.  After play time she likes to sit on my shoulder.  She once bit a mole on my neck, hurt like hell, and I have to take off my glasses so she won't chew them.

If she continues to do well I will get her a friend in late March.  Found a local pet store that gets their guineas from a breeder in North Carolina.  I've done my research.  My local Humane Society suggested her.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #782 on: March 03, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
So we just got home today with our new dog, Mack. He's an 8 year old Australian cattle dog who's nice and mellow and affectionate. We love him already.

Todd doesn't, though.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #783 on: March 03, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
See, that's almost the last page of a book for children about pet loss and acceptance. :)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #784 on: March 03, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
So we just got home today with our new dog, Mack. He's an 8 year old Australian cattle dog who's nice and mellow and affectionate. We love him already.

Todd doesn't, though.

I'm really glad you got another dog. You both needed each other, it sounds like.  It's also nice to see that your dog's foster-mom gets to see updates from him. 

Interesting situation came up with Gracie today.  We were more or less getting to the point where we felt like we were going to keep her permanently; there's some problems with that which will eventually become apparent, but basically we just can't have 3 dogs. 2 are already a handful.  But we love Gracie, she's very sweet, and she's made a TON of progress just this past week, from eating her shit in the house to not going at all in the house.  Last night she crapped right before bed outside, and then came in and ran into her kennel all by herself. 

Today we got an email from our contact at the shelter saying that someone in town wanted to look at her; it turns out it's another family who lives on campus.  The catch? Their dog DIED last week because they were on a walk with him and didn't have him on a leash, and he got hit by a car.  We live in a pretty rural area, but they were "downtown", and it worries us that Gracie will have the same treatment; she's not a dog that can really be off a leash, because she's pathologically interested in squirrels, who love sprinting across the road.

So on the one hand it might be nice to have her adopted by a family who clearly loves dogs and would give her a home nearby (we'd even offer to watch her if they needed to go out of town or whatever)--but on the other we don't want her to come to harm.  The other issue is that she really loves dogs and she'd be the only one in that family, who has a small baby (~7 months old I think).

We're both really conflicted. On the one hand, she's a part of our family and we love her; on the other hand, if something changes and we can't keep her down the line, we would have passed up this opportunity to get her adopted nearby.  We're probably going to go ahead with it, but I'm still really nervous about the no-dog-on-leash thing. It's kind of endemic down here.    I take ours out off a leash when we're in the yard, but never on walks around in the residential or downtown area.

But anyway, it's really nice to see that someone can have had a dog for FOUR months (we've had Gracie since just after Christmas for this visit) and still be able to give him up. It's breaking our hearts to think about it.

We really did need each other. Mack needed a home but I think we needed another dog more. I can't get over how right our house feels again, dog farts and all. I am covered with dog hair and it's wonderful.

Mack was found as a stray in Virginia and was in a shelter there before the ACDRA pulled him and placed him in a foster home. His foster mom was great from the start -- we were her first contact for Mack and she was WONDERFUL about being in contact with me and giving me updates and answering all of my emails. A couple of weeks ago I suggested to her that we friend each other on Facebook, because we always take lots of pictures and post them, and that way she'd get to see Mack in his new life. She happily accepted, and it was a real help for the humans involved in the transition from her house to ours. The dog didn't seem to care that he was plastered all over Facebook today. :)

So anyway, she got him in November. He was in bad shape and looked it, and he had heartworm problems. The ACDRA paid for his treatment and she kept him until the treatment was done. He had a check last week and he's in good health. He didn't want to leave her house and scratched at the car door a little on our way home, but we have been petting him and loving him and giving him food and treats, and he seems a little less depressed than when we first left.

It was hard for her to give him up and there is no doubt she's cried and is missing him right now, but she says she's happy knowing he's going to a good home. She hasn't said to me, but there are probably misgivings on her part, just as there are for you and your wife regarding Gracie. She must have told us ten times to get a grain free dog food, and I am just like okay whatever because that shit is EXPENSIVE. And we have an unstable gate in our yard that Mack could get out and run away if he really wanted, and I'm sure that was a big question mark for her, too. But no new home is going to be 100% perfect and every dog owner is different. Besides, the folks who are interested in Gracie just lost a dog due to leaving him off the leash, so maybe they'll be more careful about it in the future.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #785 on: March 03, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
[wurwolf post 'Like'd mostly because of her/(your) talk about her/(your) own experience, and a little for her/(your) response to Im.  This is directed at Im, however.]

The catch? Their dog DIED last week because they were on a walk with him and didn't have him on a leash, and he got hit by a car.  We live in a pretty rural area, but they were "downtown"....

So on the one hand it might be nice to have her adopted by a family who clearly loves dogs....

I honestly have a hard time reconciling these two statements.

[The massive number of cars just two blocks from my home, far more than disease or other-animal-fight injuries, are the reason I refuse to let my cat out of the house and freaked last Halloween when he was out for nearly four hours.]

...[T]he folks who are interested in Gracie just lost a dog due to leaving him off the leash, so maybe they'll be more careful about it in the future.

Let's hope wurwolf is right: if you make it very clear that Gracie loves to chase squirrels and can't be in an area with cars off of a leash "or you'll have the same experience with her you just had with your previous dog", then possibly the potential new owners might 'behave'.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #786 on: March 03, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction that they loved their dog and that they had him off a leash--it's incredibly common down here, for one thing, and for another they probably thought they were doing him a favor by letting him be "free" rather than that they weren't protecting him.  Good intentions or a weak streak of discipline don't mean that they don't love their dog.  The husband was supposed to be on duty that night and had to ask someone else to do it because he was apparently too broken up to be around people.  Clearly they weren't blase or nonchalant about it.

True.  I think it was a knee-jerk response thinking back to how terrified I was when I discovered that Lucas had slipped outside when I was overwhelmed with trick-or-treaters.  Had their dog always run wild (across traffic) and they did nothing it would've been a different story, but we don't know that [actually, we kinda' know the opposite, or the dog would not have lived as long as it did].

I had another thought: print out all of your posts on Gracie (and any appropriate ones in response that you feel might help) and give them a dossier on her before you and they make a final decision.  You've been very open in how much you care about her and the issues she's displayed and how you've dealt with them.  That way, it's both 'full disclosure' and it shows how much effect various things have had on her (such as her getting bounced back and forth between caregivers).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:15:02 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #787 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
Thanks, wurwolf.  I knew you'd have something to say that gave a bit of perspective.

Thanks also Lucas for your advice; we'll definitely warn them about her tendencies, but ultimately people will do what they do. I don't know how often they actually change their behavior, and she'll be their dog, not ours.  That's what would be hard about having her close I guess.  I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction that they loved their dog and that they had him off a leash--it's incredibly common down here, for one thing, and for another they probably thought they were doing him a favor by letting him be "free" rather than that they weren't protecting him.  Good intentions or a weak streak of discipline don't mean that they don't love their dog.  The husband was supposed to be on duty that night and had to ask someone else to do it because he was apparently too broken up to be around people.  Clearly they weren't blase or nonchalant about it.

We're going to be very frank with them about all her faults--she's incredibly timid, and has bathroom issues; she'll probably regress from stress/confusion when she goes to a new home again (it took her a month to get comfortable with us this time); she doesn't respond well to physical correction (like hides for a day if you spank her at all), and if they don't put pumpkin in her food she'll probably go back to eating her shit.  Oh, and the chewing.  We've worked through most of her bad stuff, and have ways to curb it; they will probably have to deal with it all over again.  Her virtues are manifold, but they also take a bit of time to appear. She really is the best snuggler I've ever seen--our other dogs are practically standoffish in comparison.

I dunno. I guess really what's best for Gracie is the crux, and I don't really know the answer to that because I can't see the future. I'm going to miss her terribly if she goes, and I think I might feel sort of selfish if we just keep her.

When we picked up Mack today we were just talking about how it seems that southerners have a different attitude regarding their dogs. I am generalizing here, but it seems like with most of the country the dog is a part of their family, whereas with those in the deep south, they're just... a dog. They tend to do things like let them run loose and a more lax about heartworm treatment, etc. A lot of the dogs that the ACDRA handles are from the south, and they have problems like the heartworm. Mack has some buckshot in one of his hind legs; it was discovered when the vet did an x-ray on him.

Personally, I think foster families are absolute angels. Dogs don't do well in the shelter system -- they need to be with people and they get depressed. And then for those of us who are adopting, we see this sad and bedraggled dog in a cage that no one wants, and it's hard to see the good qualities, and that dog that might have fit so well into a family just gets put to sleep. So it's hard for you to have to let a dog that you've cared for let go, but you've done everyone a remarkable service -- the people who are looking for a dog in their lives, and the dog for finding them a family. You know Gracie's good and bad qualities, and you can give the new people helpful advice. I wouldn't have known that you can give a dog pumpkin to keep it from eating its own shit.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #788 on: March 03, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »
Personally, I think foster families are absolute angels. Dogs don't do well in the shelter system -- they need to be with people and they get depressed. And then for those of us who are adopting, we see this sad and bedraggled dog in a cage that no one wants, and it's hard to see the good qualities, and that dog that might have fit so well into a family just gets put to sleep. So it's hard for you to have to let a dog that you've cared for let go, but you've done everyone a remarkable service -- the people who are looking for a dog in their lives, and the dog for finding them a family. You know Gracie's good and bad qualities, and you can give the new people helpful advice. I wouldn't have known that you can give a dog pumpkin to keep it from eating its own shit.

I was nodding my head and thinking, "how beautiful!" and "how beautifully put!" throughout this, then I got to the last sentence. ;D  Kind of a mood-killer. :D

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #789 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
You know, I left out another part of the equation, and it's probably the most important. I think the focus of this whole thing should not be you, the new family, or even Gracie -- it should be on the next dog you might help. Because, really, that's what this is all about. Gracie being placed in a home frees up space so you and your wife (if this is what you want) can save another dog from being lost in the shelter system. That dog, I think, is really the one that counts the most. Mack's foster mom is already making arrangements for her next rescue.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #790 on: March 04, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
Well, we won't be fostering for awhile in any case. There's a lot going on, and this one hurts too much to dip back into it for awhile.

I would imagine it's pretty hard to foster. I think it's a noble cause, but I don't know if I could do it.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #791 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
So Boo went to the groomer on Saturday and they put a bow in her hair. Boo gets very protective of her bows; not wanting us to remove them and trying to hoard them when they eventually fall out. This is what happened tonight and the bow was dragged beneath our bed too far to reach and with a growling spaniel in front of it.

So, in order to retrieve it we needed some sort of stick. Luckily I have a wooden tai chi sword that's just long enough and still blunt and safe to pass by the guardian of ribbon but not before she launched herself at it and tried to take a bite out of the blade. Never was a dog better named than Boudica.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:29:33 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #792 on: March 05, 2013, 04:02:00 AM »
We named our dogs after warriors; we were basically asking for it. :)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #793 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »
Today was Mack's first day in the house by himself all day, since it was my first time returning to NYC since we got him last Sunday. He did just fine -- when APGIL got home from work he found him sacked out on the couch. :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

BiteMe316

« Reply #794 on: March 11, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
My Collie Lance's (yes, that's his name, my family and I had NOTHING to do with that one  :P ) nails need to be trimmed tomorrow.  Apparently the local groomer is closed on Mondays but tomorrow we're going to make an appointment to get them clipped.  They're starting to make a lot of noise whenever he walks around the house.

FYI, I think I have the most laid back, mellow, and sometimes boarding on boring dog in the world.  He doesn't chew up stuff (he can't have regular chews like rawhides since he has bad allergies), piss all over the house, or otherwise make a ruckus.  Most of the day he lounges in his crate or in the living room. Also, is it possible for dogs to have OCD and ADD?  I think my dog has them.  Or he's just weird.   :P