Author Topic: Pets  (Read 101483 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: Pets
« Reply #765 on: February 07, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
My vet did an autopsy on my poor Guinea pig Ginger and her lungs were full of fluid.  There was nothing they could have done

Horrible, but glad to hear it in a way.  I have been second guessing my decision for over a week, thinking maybe I should have put it off and tried something else.  I made the right decision.

Tawny is still showing no symptoms, eating and drinking good.  Running and jumping around her cage.  Even jumping on top her house when she wants attention.  Every night I get her out of the cage for some bonding time and she walks around exploring, so far she's only explored the couch.  Eventually I'll lock my cats up and let her roam around the house.  I bought two baby gates.  I figured we could start in the hallway, maybe set her up a little playground.

Little Brownie will take treats and is coming out of her hidey house some, but still won't let me pet her.  Tawny started out the same way.  It takes time to earn their trust.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #766 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
Sorry to hear this Mrs DC :(

For those that may or may not know, we have a black bunny that hitched a ride in a client's engine compartment about a year ago now and had it in a 10 x 10 cage I constructed in our back yard for about 6 months till it dug out.. We named it Bonyx.
Well Bonyx is still hanging around our back yard and follows my wife and I when we walk around..

Here's some video footage I shot the other day..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFj0SKRyOJ8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xFj0SKRyOJ8</a>

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #767 on: February 08, 2013, 05:11:31 AM »
Well, Annabelle would just love to play with your bunny.

I think she would call it play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #768 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »
Bonyx would not approve :speechless:

« Reply #769 on: February 09, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
Last night I intoduced Tawny the Guinea pig to Archie the cat face to face.  He's the one I figured could handle it better.  He's a HUGE tom cat, but he's just a giant pussy, scared of everything.  He won't even go mousing with the other cats.  One time Mika was chasing a mouse toward Archie, and Archie ran the other way.  He's scared of mice.

She loved him, and he did great, very patient.  I would never leave them alone together, but she crawled all over him, and he just laid there.  Even grooming her a bit, which is an affection thing with cats.  And this morning we was sitting by her cage and they were sniffing each other.

Now the other three cats are a different story.  We'll wait a bit longer for that.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #770 on: February 09, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
I once had a border collie mix and a rabbit who got along enormously well. Best buds. The impossible happens sometimes, I guess.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #771 on: February 09, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »
We got to meet Mack today, the dog that we're interested in adopting, when his foster mom brought him for a visit (and also to check our house and the compatibility with the cats). It all went really well, and she said she'd be emailing the adoption papers over to me tonight. So it looks like in a couple of weeks we'll have a new dog. He's a real sweetie, loves to get pets and gave APGIL and I kisses while we were petting him. He seems a lot like Chance in that he's mellow and friendly, but very unlike Chance in that his foster mom says he's fine being in a crate and she has no problem even leaving him loose in the house when she's not home.

We were also talking about his name (we are fine with Mack); the foster mom said that when she got him the shelter had named him Merle. APGIL and I looked at each other like !!!!!!, because at one time we talked about naming a dog Merle after Doc Watson's son. I don't know if we'll change it back to Merle, but, as APGIL said, it was kind of like kismet.

I'm mad at myself that I forgot to take pictures.

« Reply #772 on: February 13, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
Well, my sweet piggy Tawny died too.  She was autopsied and her entire right lung had collapsed.  Vet said it was a form of strep pneumonia that they had.  I contacted the Humane Society to let them know that they both had died of the same thing.  That they might want to contact and warn the original owner, just in case.

Vet said it could have been genetic.  Or they could have been introduced to the strep very young.  She said they usaully don't show any symptoms until its too late.  A defence thing.  She said she raises bearded dragons and she once had three die of the same thing.  She said she thought her daughter had passed the germ

Well, baby Brownie has had no contact with Tawny and they were in seperate cages.  I was very careful.   But I took her to the vet to get her some antibiotics.  Even though I always handled and cleaned Brownie's things first and always made sure my hands were cleaned or sanitized I thought it would be a good idea as a preventive measure.  My vet agreed.  She said Brownie's lungs sounded clear, and her heartbeat was strong.  Tawny and Ginger didn't do too good with those tests.

I don't know if I can go through this again so soon.  I adore the little critters. 

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #773 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
Oh my god! I am so sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Good wishes for little Brownie, too.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #774 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »
I'm so very sorry to hear that Mrs. Dick. :(

I hope Brownie has a good long life.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #775 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »
I'm so sorry that Tawny died too, Mrs. D.C. :(

It is so heartbreaking to have two furry friends die in such a short time.  I am glad you took Brownie in for antibiotics to help assure that Brownie will stay healthy.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #776 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:28 PM »
 :(  I hope you can break her of the habit.  That must be quite distressing.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #777 on: February 27, 2013, 06:30:27 AM »
I wish I had advice. I would not know at all what to do in that situation.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #778 on: February 27, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
Have you tried using a chain in the yard? Or, if the yard is big enough and has some kind of supports for it, a trolley?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #779 on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:10 AM »
Have you tried using a chain in the yard? Or, if the yard is big enough and has some kind of supports for it, a trolley?

We have a stake with a lead that I might try if she keeps up. She pooped outside this morning just fine, and then when I was in the shower went again in my office. But she's not eating it now, which really improves the "consistency" (turns out that eating your own shit kind of gives you runny stool), and makes it MUCH easier to clean up.  Still stinks in my office though. I have a little portable air filter working on getting the stink out now.

I found a mix of white vinegar and water does wonders for getting rid of animal smells. Our cats are really good about having not having accidents in the house, but I used to have one that pissed on the dining room rug. Every time she did I blotted up the pee with paper towels, then sprayed it with an equal mix of white vinegar and water and then blotted that up.
Bonhead #2
fs!!