Author Topic: Pets  (Read 101365 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Pets
« Reply #630 on: November 28, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »
Oh and Poms, if you can find a larger one are wonderful dogs, my beloved Dolly was half pap and half pom and she's the best dog I ever knew.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #631 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
There is a pom available nearby, as of Nov. 25.  Just sent a message to the foster parent on facebook.  Not too far to travel, 30 miles.  But I'm sure they're popular, there's been a lot of likes.  Probably too late.

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #632 on: November 28, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
My sister-in-law's dog Nixon is a Rat Terrier and he's just like that.

Boo also prefers to be squeezed between Ann and me when we're all sleeping, Jemmy on the other hand, likes to sleep facing the window, lest brigands invade the house and he not be in the front line of defence (paps really do make great watchdogs, they love to monitor everything going on).

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #633 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
I think I'm going to adopt a dog before I graduate and (probably) move. I live in a small town now, much easier to adopt than in a big city. The paper work is like you're adopting a kid. Trying to figure out what mixes will be the most relaxed and friendly.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #634 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
The paper work is like you're adopting a kid.

Very true. We just had to fill out a bunch of paperwork for our dog. One of the lines was, If you and your spouse are unable to care for the dog or if you pass on, please give a name and number of the person who would take him.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #635 on: November 28, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
I can vouch for papillions.  Ours was a better alarm dog than watchdog, though.  She loved everyone that came to the house.  There was one incident where she managed to squeeze under the fence, but shortly after, she ended up at the front porch waiting to be led back in, as if nothing happened.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #636 on: November 28, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »
Oh yes they wouldn't be a guard dog but they'll certainly let you know something is happening. Also, pics please. :)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #637 on: November 28, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
Had to Google Papillon. Adorable!

Our previous dog was a wire-haired Fox Terrier. There's a picture somewhere in this thread. She was very friendly to everyone except kids about her size. She didn't like them for some reason. She also attacked doors. I haven't had a closet door for years because she shredded the bottom of it so much.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #638 on: November 28, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
One of if not the earliest pic of Ann is of her parents' Fox Terrier trying to pick her up by the diaper.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #639 on: December 09, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
 Max is doing so much better than when I first started riding him.  Had about 8 deer run by right in front of us while in the woods today, he just looked at them.  2 years ago he would have jumped and I would have had fun not falling off, heck, 3 years ago a butterfly going in front of us would make him jump.  It's been slow but calm walking and lots of bags of carrots and apples are working.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #640 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Went to Petco last night for an adoption event.

There was a lady there who had put a male and female guinea pig together by accident, she thought they were two females, and had a litter.  Serendipity perhaps?  I've been wanting to adopt one for a long time.  Petco had already sexed them so I took two girls.  Had to fill out an application and provide proof of income for the shelter though.  I could tell she was upset about adopting them out, but I swore I would be an excellent pig mom.

Anyway, got the pigs, cage and everything.  Got a fish tank with a secure steel netted cover.  They're only a few weeks old, so I'm sure I'll have to upgrade soon.  Haven't decided on names yet, right now I'm leaning toward Tawny and Ginger.

They are so cute, they started coming out, and the cats just sit and watch them.  They love oranges.  Have some pics I'll post later.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:57:00 PM by Mrs. Dick Courier »
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #641 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
Cute! Not sure if the same applies, but my rabbits loved bananas (sans peel). Not sure if guinea pigs would be okay with bananas so you might want to research it.

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #642 on: December 11, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
Awwww, poor elimination control aside.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #643 on: December 11, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »
AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW, so cute!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #644 on: December 11, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »
New puppy is in the house, sleeping in the kennel.  He's pretty cute--looks all Labrador to me. They named him "Hydro," which is appropriate since it's a) bucketing rain outside, and b) he's pissed on me, his bed, and all over the house already!

So far: Gracie 1, Hydro 0.

Well, he's now shat in his kennel.
Gracie 2, Hydro 0.

Is it that he's so young he's not yet 'outdoor trained', or is he nervous/scared, or . . .?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects