Author Topic: Pets  (Read 98780 times)

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7901
Re: Pets
« Reply #945 on: February 26, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
My almost-14-year-old dog Ajax died today.

He ate a bunch of homemade play-doh my wife made; took it off the counter sometime mid-morning. The nanny had my kids at the park and came home to find the house full of puke, and he was seizing in the hallway.  I took him straight to the emergency vet once she called, and they got an IV in him and treated him, but he unexpectedly died this afternoon. They said he just kind of slipped away, they were very puzzled.

I'm in shock. He was fine this morning.

I'll miss you, old man. Godspeed. :(

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4618
« Reply #946 on: February 26, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
I am very sorry, Imrahil.  To have such a long-term friend die so suddenly is a brutal shock.  My heart goes out to you.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7901
« Reply #947 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51:17 PM »
Thank you, Lucas.  In all of this I can't help but feel how much I failed him. Failed him by not being home when he needed me, by leaving the stuff out where he could pull it off the counter, by not acting fast enough or loving him hard enough or well enough over the years.  I'd like to say "I did the best I could," but I can think of lots of times I was short with him, or yelled at him because I was having a bad day, or got mad at him for ruining something, or hit him, or didn't take him out to play when he wanted to. 

The trail of vomit led into all the rooms of the house that were open; it was there at both doors. He was looking for us when he was sick, and we weren't there for him. :( That's what really hurts.  When I found him it was probably already too late.

I'm sorry, Ajax. I'm so sorry. I love you boy.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #948 on: February 27, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »
Something it took me a long time to accept when Omaha died was that she understood my bad moods, and my deflection of anger and frustration at other things onto her.

I'm sure Ajax knew that you didn't mean to hurt him, and understood that you could not be there for him all day, every day.  I am sure, from what you've written, that he loved you, and forgave you any slight you feel you caused him.

In time I hope you can forgive yourself for what he's already forgiven you for.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 722
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #949 on: February 28, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
Thank you, Lucas.  In all of this I can't help but feel how much I failed him. Failed him by not being home when he needed me, by leaving the stuff out where he could pull it off the counter, by not acting fast enough or loving him hard enough or well enough over the years.  I'd like to say "I did the best I could," but I can think of lots of times I was short with him, or yelled at him because I was having a bad day, or got mad at him for ruining something, or hit him, or didn't take him out to play when he wanted to. 

The trail of vomit led into all the rooms of the house that were open; it was there at both doors. He was looking for us when he was sick, and we weren't there for him. :( That's what really hurts.  When I found him it was probably already too late.

I'm sorry, Ajax. I'm so sorry. I love you boy.

I know your pain. A couple years ago I had a cat named Teddy. He was the friendliest, smartest, most loving cat I've ever know. I loved that cat, and I am not ashamed to admit that he was the best friend I've ever had.

Then one day I had to be admitted to Norfolk General Hospital. I was there for 5 days, and I couldn't wait to get home and see him. But on the third day, my Mom visited me to tell me Teddy had had a heart attack. He just dropped dead in the middle of the living room. I couldn't believe that the last time I saw him would be the last time I'd ever see him. I was furious with myself for not being there for him at his death. Maybe if I had rushed him to the vet he could have been resuscitated, but I'll never know.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4407
« Reply #950 on: September 20, 2016, 11:39:37 AM »
Another  food chart with stuff not covered by the other.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5673
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #951 on: September 20, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #952 on: January 30, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
This is not an emergency, though it felt like it earlier today.

For those who are unaware, my Avatar, and my online name, are actually those of my cat (and no, he isn't named after me).  His health has been one of the issues taking my mental energy in this last year (along with the crisis/crap that led to me stopping communication with my brother).

I took Lucas to the vet today, for the prep stuff prior to his going for the radioactive iodine to take care of his hyperthyroid difficulties, with that radioactive iodine treatment scheduled for next week.  The three things to be done today: blood work, urinalysis, and a chest x-ray.  When scheduling for those, I’d said to the person making the appointment (one of the vet’s techs) about the x-ray, “I presume that is so that if the animal is riddled with tumors, they don’t proceed,” and the vet tech said, “yeah, probably.”

When I went in, the vet herself wasn’t there.  The techs took Lucas back to do the various things, and came and said, “the vet is on the way in, you can come and sit in the room with Lucas until she gets here.”  I thought maybe she had intended to see me and Lucas to begin with and was running a bit late, but there was also a part of me that thought it might be bad news.  I tried not to let that last thought get the better of me.

When she got there, she came in and said some things, most of which I don’t remember, but I did remember that she said that he’d lost two pounds since he was last in, which was the beginning of December, and that was a very bad sign.  I don’t remember how she broached the subject, but she said, “let me show you the x-ray.”  It was with these things that I started to become more concerned, because if it were normal, there’d be nothing to show me.  She first showed me the x-ray of a ‘healthy cat’ or ‘normal cat’ (I forget which term she used, but when she used whichever term it was, I knew things with Lucas were pretty bad).  She pointed out where air was supposed to be: large dark areas for lungs, esophagus, etc., with a clear and distinct border around them.  Then she put up Lucas’s x-rays.

Lucas’s lungs were about 3/4 invisible because they were white, with ragged borders.  His lungs were 3/4 filled with fluid.

I think I asked questions then, but don’t remember (other than my estimate of his lung capacity, which she agreed with).  We went back into the room with Lucas.  She said that of the two most likely explanations for him being in this conditon, they were both ‘not good’.  She said that in some cats with hyperthyroidism, if untreated, the benign tumor(s) turn malignant.  At some point last year (when I do not know) the medication I was giving him (Methimazole) had stopped working (we found that out in Nov, confirmed in early Dec).  [My conjecture: when it stopped working was likely the turning point.]  The other possibility was that his heart was the cause.  If that was the case, then the heart problem could be treated with medication and it “could buy him a little more time,” but that it was not a cure.

She said that there was a possibility he may only live comfortably for between a week and a month.

We talked more, and she was very helpful and comforting, and was clearly near tears herself.  She said that under the circumstances, and in the condition that Lucas was in, she would not have objected if I’d said to put him to sleep today.  But she also said that it was clear, from Lucas nuzzling me while we talked, that “he still has some life in him”.  But that was how serious his condition was/is: that she would not have reservations about him being laid to rest today.

We talked about his food, because I’d tried changing his food back in Nov/Dec, and thought that was why he might have lost the weight, and she said that it wasn’t anything I’d done.  I then realized and said out loud that in the last 3-4 weeks he’s also been very slow to eat his favorite, canned food, too.  And I said for food from now on – and she basically finished my sentence, saying, “if he wants steak, he can have steak.”  [She was still near tears at this point, and even though I was partially staring at the floor trying to grasp what I was being told, I saw her wipe at least one tear away as we talked.  Clearly she cares for Lucas.  After all, I got him from her office after they'd taken him in as a stray, and they'd had him as a 'mascot' for possibly a year.]

I tried to process as much of what she was saying as she was saying it (not easy with the three head injuries, particularly when combined cognitive and emotional material puts exponential drains on my cognitive capacity).  The thing that stood out to me was the fluid in his lungs.  I asked how much it would cost to have it drained (not knowing how involved it was).  When she said, “$80,” I said, “do it.”  She said there was no guarantee with that, and that it could be back within a day, or give him a week break.  And I said, “ANY relief for him is worth it, even if just a short time.”  She also said there was a possibility they could hit a blood vessel and him die on the table.  I trusted her and the universe to not do that, and said I understood, feeling the possibility for relief was worth the risk, particularly if he didn’t have long to live regardless.  So she took him and went to do that, explaining that they’d have to shave his sides to get a sterile environment.  [It was only during the drive home that I thought it would have been nice if I’d thought to have them take a picture of me holding Lucas, fully-furred, together, in case he doesn’t last long enough for it to grow back and get a picture later.  I only have one picture of the two of us together, and I'm wearing black, so he's hard to see, and the picture is very grainy.]

When she left the room, that was when I couldn’t keep composed (as all essential/immediate ‘action’ was now taken) and started crying.

When she came back, with what I think was a 500cc syringe (about 1” in diameter and 7-8” long) filled with pinkish liquid.  She said that it was actually only 1/3 of what was in his chest, but that was all he’d stay still for, so all they could get without making it a major procedure with sedation.  She also said it could be sent for testing.  Depending on what they found, it would say whether it was malignant thyroid, or heart.  If it is heart, treatment could, “buy him some more time.”  But by this, I knew she meant a couple or a few months at most, not years.  She also said that she was going to personally look at it, in addition to sending it to the lab, because she wanted to be completely sure of the findings.

So I gathered Lucas, and came home with him.  I rubbed his belly (his choice, even over getting fed, though it was late), then I fed him, then he wanted to have his belly rubbed again, so I did so. 

I called and talked with my folks about it.  And then I came upstairs to my evening crash.

So that is where Lucas’s condition stands at present.  I’ll let you know when I get the results back on the fluid taken from his lungs.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:02:37 PM by LucasM »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #953 on: January 30, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
Sorry to hear that, hope that it turns out to be something that can be treated.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #954 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
Thank you.  Even if it is his heart, the impression was that the treatment for that might just buy a couple or a few months.  So me being without him around is an idea I need to start getting used to.  But a few months definitely would be preferable to a few weeks.  As long as he can remain comfortable, that is.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #955 on: January 31, 2017, 06:36:04 AM »
As long as he can remain comfortable, that is.

That's the really hard decision for you, it's so easy to be blinded by wanting more time and not see what is really happening. 

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #956 on: February 03, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Lucas (my cat) will likely have to be put to sleep next week. This, from my vet, on the lab results:

"Although these tests are not definitive, they are very suggestive of lymphoid cancer. The fluid doesn't appear to be caused by his heart issue. The only "good" thing that he could have would be a blocked lymphatic duct which ruptured (causing the chylous effusion), but diagnosis and treatment would entail opening his chest surgically and looking for the leak. This would not be an easy thing on a cat who does not have other issues, and, in Lucas' case, it is not even an option. If the fluid removal the other day seemed to help, we could continue to try to remove more fluid when it becomes more difficult for him to breathe, but, wouldn't want to wait until he is in dire straights. I think that these lab results, along with his thyroid and heart disease, along with his deterioration, are telling us that you need to set some limits. We don't want him to suffer, obviously."

I responded (with some additional information skipped here), "I’ve noticed a reduction in his condition just in the last week. He allows himself to have his belly rubbed for shorter periods, and is spending less time around me. ... I sincerely doubt that his enjoyment of his life is outweighing the discomfort he feels. ... I was hoping that he could remain comfortable longer, but I can’t put him through living conditions that I couldn’t tolerate for myself."

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6836
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #957 on: February 03, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
aww, shit. that sucks. :(
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #958 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »
Sorry both of you have to deal with all that.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #959 on: February 03, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
Thank you goflyblind and MartyS.

Not surprisingly I'm having a rougher time than usual.  As you well know, Lucas is my main interactions with any other living being (most frequent others: massage therapist up to two hours a week, but usually approximates about three hours every two weeks; chiropractor once every two weeks, though that is less 'social' talk, so far more draining than rewarding).  Because of my lack of much in the way of real-time interactions I am very emotionally invested in him, to the point where this is intermittently overwhelming (when I can distract myself for a bit it ceases to be, but briefly).

[I'm sorry, I had to modify the hell out of that paragraph multiple times.  Hopefully it makes some sense and says what I meant.  I can't really tell.]