login

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 113352 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5041
Re: Pets
« Reply #1095 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
Always tough to have a pet put down even when you know it's time. Thoughts are with you Lucas.

Thank you, wihogfan.  Yes, it is quite difficult.  Despite her instability and falling over (apparently having a head injury in the process of falling off the bed), there was still - in the back of my mind - the thought "what if this is temporary and she'll get better?"  But she was 20 1/2 years old (~105 human years), so the idea of waiting 'just in case' would have been cruel, in addition to being irrational.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1148
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #1096 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »
My dad's dog seems like he's on his way out. Poor old baby. He's had a rough life and has been through the mill, been chewed up and spit out and still managed to be kicking, but it seems like age is catching up to him. He won't come inside, and is barely breathing. We moved him closer to the house in case coyotes come up, but dad wants to let him stay outside in his last few hours.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1097 on: June 16, 2020, 10:21:34 PM »
I'm so sorry Lesbunny.  It is difficult when pets are near the end of their life, where one has to decide what level of reduced functioning or difficulty with living is enough to euthanize.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1098 on: June 20, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »
So, news on Tater: he's fine now. Dunno what that dog is made of, but I'm pretty sure if we figured out how to make a superball out of it, it'd never stop bouncing back.

In other news, Janeway isn't doing great. As far as I can tell, she's acting alright, but she's started bleeding rectally/vaginally. She's got a tumor in her belly that's probably the source of that. I'm gonna monitor her over the weekend since I don't have any other options and call the vet on Monday. I did what a pet owner should never do and look up symptoms, and it also seems like she might have SDA, which is usually nonfatal. It's the rat coronavirus, though. Rectal bleeding, porphyrin around the eyes, swollen neck area, sneezing/wheezing. I'm terrified of what's going to happen. I was close to Jadzia, but since she passed, Janeway and I have been basically together all day every day. I've bonded more closely with her than I have with 99% of people. The reason I am currently alive, despite being in a low enough place to suicide over the past few months has been because I knew that if I was gone, there would be no one to take her out of her cage or play with her or hold her and pet her and make her extremely happy. Ein would be loved by my family, they'd take care of him, but Janeway would be completely alone. They'd probably feed her every day or so, and then when she died, just... toss her. I couldn't let that happen to her. She's my love.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1099 on: June 22, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »
I'm so sorry about Janeway, Lesbunny.  I hope that the vet finds (found?) that whatever is happening is treatable so that she - and you - can have a better quality of life than you two've had lately.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1100 on: June 23, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
So the vet said it might be an infection in her uterus/vaginal area. They said we could spay her, but at 2 and a half, that seems a little excessive for a pet that's going to live maybe another 6 months or a year, especially since it's possible she wouldn't survive the surgery. We're giving her antibiotics and hoping things get better, and going from there.

I also love that I've been complemented twice on how well my girls did at the vet, especially since I couldn't be there with them. Before Jadzia passed, which I was there for, we had an appointment where they said she was one of the best behaved rats they've had, and Janeway got similar compliments. My ratties got well socialized.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1169
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #1101 on: July 06, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »
One of my cats, Victoria, disappeared over the weekend.

I have (had?) three black cats, siblings from the same litter. I went out of town over Independence Day weekend to visit my sister. Rather than board the cats for two days, I put them outside in the back yard with the door to the garage propped open so they could get to food and shelter. Two of the cats love the outdoors, one of them does not. I'll give you one guess which one that is. It's not like her to leave the house, much less the yard. My mom said she saw a dead black cat by the side of the road on the drive back, and while it was too far from the house to be her, she worried that it was a bad sign. Turns out it was  :(

I still have hopes that she'll turn up. This isn't the first time I've had a cat disappear, then reappear days later. If it was either of the other two I wouldn't be so worried.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #1102 on: July 06, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
Man, sorry about your cat and hope she shows up.

First dog we ever got as a couple hated fireworks and loud noises. First time it happened, we couldn't find him and eventually found him laying in the bath tub which is where he would always go when he was upset (and sometimes would go as  I was taking a shower).

Current beagle shakes like crazy at thunder and fireworks. Had tried a Thundershirt with a lab we had who was blind and would bark all night some nights. Didn't do anything to calm him. Decided to give a Thundershirt a try on the beagle and it actually works. Out like a light with his head in my lap as soon as it goes on.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1103 on: July 07, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
I'm so sorry, CJones.  I hope she turns up.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1169
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #1104 on: July 08, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »
I'm so sorry, CJones.  I hope she turns up.

And she's back  ;D

I can't help but feel like this was her revenge on us for leaving for three days. We were gone Fri-Sun, she was gone Sun-Tues. She just showed up this morning like nothing was wrong. Where the heck have you been cat? I searched the neighborhood, under the house, even behind the washer/dryer where I know she likes to hide. Oh well, I'm glad she's alright.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1105 on: August 06, 2020, 07:28:11 PM »
Janeway's bleeding again. I don't know if she's just sick again, or if we didn't KO whatever she had with the antibiotics, or if it's something to do with the tumor. What kills me is that I want to let her roam around and nest in my bed, because she loves doing that, but blood on the sheets/blankets is not something I want to deal with. I've ruined 2 socks trying to come up with something for her like a pair of pants or just something that would contain any blood or anything, but she's my little escape artist and is capable of getting out of anything I put on her.I wish I knew what else I could do besides call the vet. I don't have the money for them to tell me "there's nothing we can do" because she's too old for surgery, and what good is diagnosing the tumors going to do if we can't remove them or treat them? I feel so alone. I don't know any other rat parents who can help me through this. People around me don't really care. Pretty sure my mom's just waiting for Janeway to die. idfk what to do.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1106 on: August 07, 2020, 03:05:44 AM »
I'm sorry, LesBunny.  I hope that what is active with Janeway is something that can resolve fairly easily again, possibly with more antibiotics.

With her sleeping on the bed.  If she doesn't move around much during the night and chooses a particular spot (like curled up in your 'lap' if you sleep on your side), you could put a folded older towel in that space.  That way, if she bled it would 'just' be an older towel that got potential stains.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1107 on: August 07, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
I'm sorry, LesBunny.  I hope that what is active with Janeway is something that can resolve fairly easily again, possibly with more antibiotics.

With her sleeping on the bed.  If she doesn't move around much during the night and chooses a particular spot (like curled up in your 'lap' if you sleep on your side), you could put a folded older towel in that space.  That way, if she bled it would 'just' be an older towel that got potential stains.

No, I don't let her in the bed while I'm sleeping typically. I usually just pop on an episode or two of something like Star Trek and let her do some free roaming in a fairly safe environment. She likes to burrow and snuggle up in the blankets and take naps, which is what she's done for like a year now. If she wasn't bleeding, I'd be fine, but I can't have her do that. I can't even hold her in one place because she likes to move around to get comfortable.

As much as I want to deny it, the tumor in her belly is like 2.5 inches and solid. It may be time to let her go.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1108 on: August 08, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
I'm so sorry.  It sounds particularly difficult and sad, because she doesn't understand why she isn't able to roam free with you any longer.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1109 on: August 16, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
Spoke to a friend who I hoped would help me make the decision. He talked to me about what it was like when his dog needed to be put to sleep, and everything kinda mirrors Janeway at this point. I'm calling the vet tomorrow.