Author Topic: To comic fans, Whats your favorite.  (Read 28275 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: To comic fans, Whats your favorite.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 08:49:54 AM »

Ragman's currently starring in the Shadowpact ongoing, spun out of the excellent Day Of Vengeance Infinity Crisis tie-in mini, along with Blue Devil and my man Bobo, the Detective Chimp.

Marvel Zombies and Walking Dead are writtten by Robert Kirkman, who writes all the best books nowadays. I'll buy anything with his name on it.

I'm enjoying Civil War, even though it makes NO SENSE. "Hmm, we got both live action and animated Iron Man movies coming up, so let's make him the arch-villain of our universe!" Can't wait to see how Joe Q retcons his way out of this mess.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 09:07:24 AM »
Iron Man isn't a villian. He's on the GOVERNMENT'S side!

Or does that make him a villian.. :^)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »

I don't think he's a villian. I don't think Captain America is wrong either, though. Hence the moral challenge of the story arc. There are rights and wrongs on both sides. One has to choose which has more rights and wrongs from their perspective to pick a side.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 11:45:26 AM »
Personally i really wish they would hire someone eles for editor at Marvel. Joe Q has screwed up so many thing. I mean Gwen Stacy would never have sex with a greasy old man who was also known as the Green Goblin. Sorry but when they did that. They totally pissed me off. I think once Joe Q leaves Marvel as editor. I think marvel is going to have a little "Crisis" of its own.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 02:28:48 PM »

Hm...been out of the loop a while with Spiderman. I thought Gwen was dead or something. Are things different for Gwen in the Ultimate universe?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 02:36:35 PM »
You could say that. :^) But I think we're talking regular universe since Bendis pretty much rules the Ultimate Universe.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 02:47:51 PM »
James O'Barr - THE CROW
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 02:51:33 PM »
  Tyrant,  Gwen is still dead in the regular Marvel universe, but since they brought Norman Osborn/Green Goblin back from the dead, they did a god-awful flashback storyline where Gwen was seduced by Norman's power, I guess, Who Knows!!  Anyhow, she disappeared for a while and had twins fathered by Norman ....oh, god, make it go away....
   I think we're all trying to forget about it.  Now ask about the story where Peter dies and is reborn out of the dry husk of his dead body.  I shit you not.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »

Wow. The thing with Gwen almost sounds as bad as the whole Spiderman clone thing. I'm afraid to ask about Peter hatching alive and well out of his own dead body. That's an X-Files episode, right there (if the show were still around).

I would say The Crow is one of the saddest stories in all of comicbookdom. Sad in its invention, conception, and execution. The original book had this scene where Eric is burning the house and everything in it that he and Shelly owned. A panel shows him watching one of Shelly's shoes aflame with tears running down his face. That's the only time a comic has ever made me genuinely tear up.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »
I don't think he's a villian. I don't think Captain America is wrong either, though. Hence the moral challenge of the story arc. There are rights and wrongs on both sides. One has to choose which has more rights and wrongs from their perspective to pick a side.

Not a villain, per se, but Tony's certainly being portrayed as the antagonist of the story - which in a comic book universe that usually has predetermined "good guys" and "bad guys" - makes him the defacto villain.

I think once Joe Q leaves Marvel as editor. I think marvel is going to have a little "Crisis" of its own.

I like Joey Q a lot, myself. I'd place most of the blame on JMS for screwing up Spidey so bad. I dunno why Quesada keeps letting him do it, though. And mark my words, within the next two years Peter will be back to the classic costume, the stupid stingers in his arms will be gone, and MJ will be dead. They'll probably keep the organic webshooters, though. Place your bets now.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2006, 08:55:04 PM »
     I don't know how many watched "Who Wants to be a Super-Hero" but it was ironic that within a few days of Peter Parker revealing his secret identity in Civil War 2,  Stan Lee had a challenge for the contestants that all but two blew by giving their real name to a waiter/waitress.  His rule "A super-hero NEVER reveals their secret identity."  I bet Stan hasn't read an issue of Spidey in years.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2006, 09:00:03 PM »

Not a villain, per se, but Tony's certainly being portrayed as the antagonist of the story - which in a comic book universe that usually has predetermined "good guys" and "bad guys" - makes him the defacto villain.

This is one unique case where the good guy/bad guy thing isn't quite so black and white. From the perspective of the government, Captain America's the bad guy. The perspective is what changes it, and every book has its own perspective. It's hard for a freedom loving country like us to root for the oppressors, but there are some Civil War tie-ins that are making me do just that.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »

That's just the thing, though. Tony doesn't see it as oppression. He's trying to save lives by having the actions of superpowered humans regulated. In real life, there probably wouldn't even be a long debate about a super powered registry. It would just happen. If normal people far outnumber superheroes/villians, the majority rules.

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 12:13:03 PM »
I don't know how many watched "Who Wants to be a Super-Hero" ... Stan Lee had a challenge for the contestants that all but two blew by giving their real name to a waiter/waitress.  His rule "A super-hero NEVER reveals their secret identity."  I bet Stan hasn't read an issue of Spidey in years.

Ha ha. It's fun to do imitations of Stan issuing those uber-serious statements on his show. 

"A superhero doesn't take lives, a superhero SAVES lives!"
"Major Victory, I'm afraid you're more a parody of a superhero than a real superhero!"

When doing the Stan voice I like to use one hand to pull my hair back on top of my head.  Gotta get me some amber vision glasses to complete the picture.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
Well everybody should know by now that Stan is the Man. Also dont forget Jack "The King" Kirby, Jazzin John Romita,  Gene "The Dean" Colan, & Swinging Steve Ditko
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 12:57:07 PM by Road_Element »