login

Author Topic: My EPUB conversion of a Cory Doctorow book  (Read 170 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 208
    • My website full o' stuff.
My EPUB conversion of a Cory Doctorow book
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:45:02 AM »
For those who don't know, Creative Commons is a licensing way to license your works of authorship such that you can have "some rights reserved" or "no rights reserved" (that is, dedicate it to the public domain). It applies to everything but software. (All my original music is licensed with a creative commons license). Cory Doctorow, a Science Fiction author, was the first person to license his works with a Creative Commons license after Lawrence Lessig. His novel Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom has a creative commons license, which means you are free to share it over the internet. His third novel, Someone Comes To Town, Someone Leaves Town, also has a Creative Commons license, and even though it was written at a time when TXT and HTML were the formats of choice for ebooks, Cory is nice enough to publish fan conversions on his web site. When I downloaded the EPUB version of Someoneā€¦, it was extremely buggy to the point where it wouldn't work on my ePub readers, but since I had experience in creating and compiling EPUB ebooks, I decided to give it a shot. I had trouble converting it until I landed upon epubcheck, which made debugging really easy, and after fixing the bugs, I sent it to Cory via email (I've met him a lot IRL before the pandemic and we exchanged business cards), he thanked me in a reply, and he credited me on his web site (scroll way down until you get to the "ePub" version). This is something of which I'm really proud!