login

Author Topic: What did you learn from Gymkata?  (Read 327 times)

Offline dbsommer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 128
What did you learn from Gymkata?
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »
I learned Olympic medal gymnasts are as good at acting as actors are at Olympic medal gymnastics.
I learned the guys named dropped other mid 80's Olympians a lot later than I thought they would.
I learned having your interesting backstory of having a mother that's Indonesian and nothing else is not actually interesting.
I learned using gymnastic martial arts on a stone pommel horse while fighting insane medieval peasants is not the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.
I learned the director was actually pretty good. He had no real actors and an absurd screenplay, yet the movie was shot and edited very well given the limitations. Then again, I'm sure he was sorry he couldn't direct Bruce Lee again and was reduced to martial arts gymnasts.
I learned, like the guys, to my shock and horror this is based on an actual book. WTF?

Offline xeljanz

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
Re: What did you learn from Gymkata?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »
They said Gymkata was directed by the guy who did Enter The Dragon?  Boy did he misfire with this one.  Funny riff.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: What did you learn from Gymkata?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »
I learned that having an Indonesian mother is very interesting.
I learned that Karabal is on the Caspian Sea.
I learned that Karabal (on the Caspian Sea) has gymnastics bars in the middle of alleys.
I learned that you can leave a room through the front door, then immediately be right back in the same room.
I learned about the existence of this movie, when apparently it had been a hotly requested riff for many years.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.