Author Topic: List o' Crap #127 Top 50 Novels Countdown!  (Read 5127 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1176
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: List o' Crap #127 Top 50 Novels Countdown!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »
#44d Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

1 List, 23 Points
Top Vote #3 George 2.0

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

“Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.”

“I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.”

Since its immediate success in 1813, Pride and Prejudice has remained one of the most popular novels in the English language. Jane Austen called this brilliant work "her own darling child" and its vivacious heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, "as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print." The romantic clash between the opinionated Elizabeth and her proud beau, Mr. Darcy, is a splendid performance of civilized sparring. And Jane Austen's radiant wit sparkles as her characters dance a delicate quadrille of flirtation and intrigue, making this book the most superb comedy of manners of Regency England.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pride and Prejudice is a romantic novel of manners written by Jane Austen in 1813. The novel follows the character development of Elizabeth Bennet, the dynamic protagonist of the book who learns about the repercussions of hasty judgments and comes to appreciate the difference between superficial goodness and actual goodness. Its humour lies in its honest depiction of manners, education, marriage, and money during the Regency era in Great Britain.

I was tempted to put Pride and Prejudice on my own list, even though I've never actually read it. My father loved this book (and Sense and Sensibility). However he was nearly blind, thanks to a botched cataract surgery (and he had 20/800 vision BEFORE the surgery), so we have several movie versions of P&P that he watched over and over during his last few years of life (he died last year :(). So I'm quite familiar with it, and I do like it. However, I felt it wouldn't be fair to vote for something I'd never actually read. Besides, I knew it would make the final list regardless 8)

I'd like to state my opinion that Mr Darcy has got to be one of the most genuinely good people in all of literature, and you really want he and Elizabeth to live "happily ever after"

Also, I have to post this, because I find it hilarious:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3089
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 08:25:24 PM »
I think I may actually go out and buy a Discworld novel. I've never read any of them.

Have you watched any of the miniseries?    I saw them before reading any of the books, so I started with those books.

Hogfather is my favorite of the shows, followed by Going Postal, Color of Magic is good but ends up 3rd for me.

Going Postal is streaming on Amazon Prime, Hogfather and Color of Magic are streaming free with ads on the usual places like the Roku channel, Vudu, TubiTV...

FYI: the Color of Magic series is a combination of the first 2 Discworld books, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

Offline CJones

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
Hogfather isn't on Amazon Prime Video anymore? *checks* Damn, you're right, it's not. That sucks. It was a couple months ago. I know because I re-watched it when making my list.

I agree, it's the best one, but Going Postal is also very good. And Going Postal has the advantage of not being part of any running series, so you can read/watch it without prior knowledge of anything.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 468
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
Your father had good taste, CJones!  :)

Obviously, Pride and Prejudice is one of my treasures, though oddly I've taken some crap for that, and I really don't understand why. But no matter, it's one of my all-time favorites from one of my all-time favorite authors (I had more Austen on my list than any other novelist)

After reading annotated versions I discovered there was much 'of the time' humor, little playful strokes that to modern readers might simply seem formal and soapy, but there's actually a sharp wit to them. As Vivien Jones wrote in her notes in the 1996 edition of Pride and Prejudice, Austen had a "precise, and satirical, eye for mechanisms of social mobility." Plus, I just love these characters - and I like several of the filmed adaptations. Keira Knightly's my favorite Elizabeth (in a movie I own), the BBC mini with Colin Firth is a superb adaptation that I've also watched several times.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:52:24 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline CJones

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
The Colin Firth version is my favorite :)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3089
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 10:24:22 PM »
Hogfather isn't on Amazon Prime Video anymore? *checks* Damn, you're right, it's not. That sucks. It was a couple months ago. I know because I re-watched it when making my list.

Shows jumping around the various streaming services does get annoying sometimes.  I probably use justwatch.com a couple times a week to find stuff that used to watch on one service to see where it has gone now.

I guess I'll have to break down and get the Blu-Ray of Hogfather, I watch it a couple times a year so it will be nice to have a physical copy of it.

Offline CJones

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2020, 08:25:52 PM »
#44e Life, The Universe and Everything, by Douglas Adams

1 List, 23 Points
Top Vote #3 MartyS (Grommit)

“The point is, you see," said Ford, "that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.”

“That young girl is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting.”

“The Somebody Else's Problem field is much simpler and more effective <than an invisibility field>, and what's more can be run for over a hundred years on a single torch battery. This is because it relies on people's natural disposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.”

“The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

“In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.”

The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads–so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.

They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane to see if he likes it; Slartibartfast, the indomitable vice president of the Campaign for Real Time, who travels in a ship powered by irrational behavior; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed ex-president of the galazy; and Trillian, the sexy space cadet who is torn between a persistent Thunder God and a very depressed Beeblebrox.

How will it all end? Will it end? Only this stalwart crew knows as they try to avert “universal” Armageddon and save life as we know it–and don’t know it!

The creation of Krikkit originally comes from Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen, either a film treatment of the Doctor Who series, or a six part TV story with Tom Baker. Accounts differ. Either way, the treatment did not get far and was eventually scrapped. It was then considered as a plot line for a second season of the BBC Hitchhikers TV series. But that never went into production and so this book got written instead. According to Nick Webb, the writer of Adams's official biography, he claimed that "Douglas's view of the Krikkitmen would be similar to his view of people who resolutely decline to learn what science can tell us about the universe we inhabit."

"Long Dark Teatime of the Soul" from the last of the above quotes, went on to be used as the title of the second (and last finished) Dirk Gently novel.

Fun Fact: This book is the only one in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series to have been censored in its US edition. The word "asshole" is replaced with the word "kneebiter", and the word "shit" is replaced with "swut". Possibly the most famous example of censorship is in Chapter 21, in which the UK edition mentions that the "Rory" is an award for "The Most Gratuitous Use of the Word 'Fuck' in a Serious Screenplay". In the US edition, this was changed to "Belgium" and padded with a digression about the alleged cathartic utilization of off-color words (thereby allowing Adams to poke fun at the concept of censorship itself). Text from the original radio series described "Belgium" as the most offensive word used in the galaxy.

"Have you ever been to Belgium in fact?" he asked brightly and she nearly hit him.
"I think," she said, restraining herself, "that you should restrict that sort of remark to something artistic."

Personally I think Belgium is way funnier 8)   

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »

I can't believe you didn't massage the numbers a little so this could be #42 on the list.

Offline CJones

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »

I can't believe you didn't massage the numbers a little so this could be #42 on the list.

That didn't even occur to me  :P Totally should have done that.

Offline CJones

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
I started house sitting yesterday, and will be for the next 10 days. So I don't have my computer at the moment. Tomorrow I'll go back home, pick up my computer and set it up here. All the list related stuff is on there. That's why no updates recently.

If you're wondering why I didn't bring it with me in the first place, it's a huge hassle to move, and I wanted to make sure there they had everything I needed to set it up.

Offline CJones

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
#44f The Infinity Gauntlet, by Jim Starlin

1 List, 23 Points
Top Vote #3 Russoguru

“I believe you will discover the horizons of my imaginings far wider than you would suspect, Lord Chaos. You address omnipotence. Tread carefully.”

<Captain America>: "As long as one man stands against you Thanos, you'll never be able to claim victory"
<Thanos>: "Noble sentiments from one who is about to die."
"I've lived my life by those sentiments. They're well worth dying for."
"Than die you shall. Thanos is always pleased to honor such a foolish request."

<Nebula restores the Universe with the Gauntlet, forgetting she was a burn victim before>
<Thanos>: "When one has the power of a God, she should be very careful about what she wishes for. Wishes are sometimes fulfilled."
<Nebula, instantly cures herself and entombs Thanos>: "A mistake even the wretched thing that I was can rectify with but a thought. While your error of gloating when you should have been grasping the power you crave will not be so easily remedied."
"Touchè"

“We are what circumstances make of us”

Death has released Thanos from her cold embrace, and he plans to repay her by murdering half the universe! But even as the Mad Titan gathers the six Infinity Gems from across the galaxy, assembling them into the Infinity Gauntlet and gaining truly godlike powers, a host of heroes gather to oppose him...including the Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Dr. Strange, the Hulk and many more! Even with Dr. Doom, Galactus and the universe's cosmic powers aiding them, can Marvel's mightiest possibly prevail against Thanos the all-powerful?

The series' events are driven by Thanos, a nihilist character created for Marvel by Starlin in 1973 (First appearence Iron Man #55). When Starlin began writing Silver Surfer in 1990, he and Ron Lim began a new plot with Thanos that developed over sixteen monthly issues and a spin-off limited series before concluding in The Infinity Gauntlet. George Pérez was brought in to draw The Infinity Gauntlet because he had more name recognition among fans and because Lim already had a full schedule. However, after completing three issues and part of the fourth, his own busy schedule and dissatisfaction with the story led to him being replaced by Lim. This was originally a six issue series. It has since been compiled and re-released as the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus in 2014 and the Deluxe Edition in 2018.

I have to admit, I was putting off doing this one for as long as possible. I'm not really into comics. And finding quotes for this was a pain. Most of the quotes I found came from the movie(s). 

Fun Fact: This:

Thanos gets arrested, after being beaten by Spiderman and Hellcat. And he even used the infamous "Thanos-Copter", to no avail :P

This is probably still less embarrassing than the time he lost against Squirrel-Girl, off panel.

Offline CJones

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
Finally done with the #44's. Next up, the first entry to appear on more than one list.

Offline CJones

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
#38 Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

3 Lists, 23 Points
Top Vote #13 linszoid

“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them.”

“Because never in my entire childhood did I feel like a child. I felt like a person all along―the same person that I am today.”

“An enemy, Ender Wiggin," whispered the old man. "I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher.”

“Remember, the enemy's gate is down.”

The book originated as a short story of the same name, published in the August 1977 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact. The novel was published on January 15, 1985. Later, by elaborating on characters and plotlines depicted in the novel, Card was able to write additional books in the Ender's Game series. Card also released an updated version of Ender's Game in 1991, changing some political facts to reflect the times more accurately (e.g., to include the recent collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War). The novel has been translated into 34 languages.

Card has stated that Ender's Game was written specifically to establish the character of Ender for his role of the Speaker in Speaker for the Dead, the outline for which he had written before novelizing Ender's Game.

If you know anything about Orson Scott Card then you probably know he's come under criticism for his views on homosexuality. Supposedly he advocated the overthrow of the US government because we didn't pass an amendment to ban gay marriage ::) I am fully of the opinion that one can separate a person's works from their perceived failings. That's why I have no issue enjoying Ender's Game or Kevin Spacey movies, or the Cosby Show. Disagree? I look forward to not replying :P

Fun Fact: Ender's Game was the first science-fiction novel published entirely online, when it appeared on Delphi a year before print publication.

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 1079
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
Thanos gets arrested, after being beaten by Spiderman and Hellcat. And he even used the infamous "Thanos-Copter", to no avail :P
Interesting bit of trivia. in Avengers, Endgame, Thanos' double-bladed weapon was actually inspired by the Thanos-Copter. The fact that a Titan would run around in a Helicopter is... like Monty Python levels of ridiculous, and I guess that's why it's so great.

Offline CJones

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2020, 04:38:56 PM »
#37a The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time book #1), by Robert Jordan

1 List, 24 Points
Top Vote #2 dbsommer

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.”

“I will hate the man you choose because he is not me, and love him if he makes you smile. No woman deserves the sure knowledge of widow’s black as her brideprice, you least of all.”

“Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain.”

“Violence harms the one who does it as much as the one who receives it. You could cut down a tree with an axe. The axe does violence to the tree, and escapes unharmed. Is that how you see it? Wood is soft compared to steel, but the sharp steel is dulled as it chops, and the sap of the tree will rust and pit it. The mighty axe does violence to the helpless tree, and is harmed by it. So it is with men, though the harm is in the spirit.” 

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

When The Two Rivers is attacked by Trollocs-a savage tribe of half-men, half-beasts- five villagers flee that night into a world they barely imagined, with new dangers waiting in the shadows and in the light.

Robert Jordan has stated that he consciously intended the early chapters of The Eye of the World to evoke the Shire of Middle-Earth in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Despite their similarities, these two works differ in themes. For instance, both Jordan and Tolkien created narratives that explored power. However, The Eye of the World discussed how it can be deployed whereas The Lord of the Rings was more focused on its renunciation. Rand needed to wield his power so he could successfully fight an emerging war with the Dark One. This theme is antithetical to Frodo's quest to destroy the ring of Sauron, a source of immense power that also corrupted its wearer.

The Wheel of Time consists of 15 books, including a prequel to Eye of the World, New Spring. The last three were written by Brandon Sanderson, as Robert Jordan died of Amyloidosis before finishing the series himself.

Fun Fact: There is a Wheel of Time TV series in the works, for Amazon Prime. It started filming in September 2019, but has since stalled due to the pandemic.

I know very little about the Wheel of Time series, except that it inspired a particularly badass Blind Guardian song:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BCLsqg05boo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BCLsqg05boo</a>

"Kneel to the Dragon Reborn, or you will be knelt."