login

Author Topic: Logitech Harmony Remotes  (Read 177 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 383
Logitech Harmony Remotes
« on: September 10, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
My Logitech Harmony 650 remote died after 2 years. Not totally dead, but 0 and 6 buttons don't work except when pressed multiple times and rubber covering on several buttons has worn off causing the backlighting to shine like a flashlight.
650 replaced remotes to the TV, cable box, suround sound system, Roku, kodi box, and DVD player. It was easy to set up via software amd a USB cable and easy to set up macros to do multiple functions with one button. So went to Amazon to buy another 650 only to find out it's been discontinued. Some sellers still selling it and the 700 for $160 or more, but not paying that for a remote that I paid just $50 for 2 years ago. Checked Logitech site and they sell a 665 that looks identical to the 650 for $70, but they charge shipping and it wouldn't have arrived for 2 weeks.
So splurged and bought a Amazon reconditioned Logitech Harmony Ultimate One remote for $100 (vs $200+ new) that arrived next day. Took about 15 minutes to figure out the USB cable that came with it didn't work and then 2 minutes to transfer all my remote codes and macros from the 650. It's small, rechargable, and has a touch screen that replaces most of the buttons on the old 650.
Anyway, if you got a bunch of remotes and want to replace them with a universal remote, I highly recommend the Harmony remotes. Set up via software beats the hell out of searching for remote codes.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3223
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Logitech Harmony Remotes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
I've been looking to replace my ancient Harmony 880 for years, but I love the ergonomics of the 880 and they never made another one like it.  Those 600 series remotes are close but not quite as nice.

I've had to take it apart a few times over the last dozen years or so to clean the insides of the buttons but amazingly the rechargeable battery still works fine and charges up.

It's not as "all in one" as it used to be, with some devices now going to radio frequency only, but it's better to have 3 remotes out instead of 5, and with one button it turns on all the parts of my home theater, so I just have to use the other 2 remotes to select stuff on the streaming boxes.

I hate that they seem to be giving up on physical buttons, you shouldn't have to take your eyes off the screen to use the remote, a touch screen is terrible for that.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
Not a huge fan of the touch screen on the new remote either and it's going to take some getting used to. Can add a hub to it (for another $100) that will allow it to control bluetooth  and radio devices though. Also not a huge fan of the rechargable battery that looks like will be a pain to replace vs. 650 that used AAs.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »
After spending some time now with the new Harmony touch screen remote, I hate it compared to the old 650. Postives are that it's customizable in ways the 650 wasn't. Can change the icons and names of the icons to show and read whatever you want and can add quick channel icons to quickly turn to the channels you want. But it's far too easy to inadvertantly touch the screen and have it switch to a different device and the channel choosing number screen was made for fingers smaller than mine and I frequent choose the number near the one I was intending to choose. It works, but I wish I would have gotten the new 600 model instead.