login

Author Topic: List of Crap #126: 50 Famous Duos  (Read 564 times)

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 405
Re: List of Crap #126: 50 Famous Duos
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 06:59:53 AM »
I spaced out on mentioning the Jeeves and Wooster books and movies in the post and just focused on the television series (edit - gone back and changed that). The only place I can find the show streaming is on Youtube, I'll have to check them out, see how I liked 'em.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:06:15 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »
I can't believe I forgot the mads. I usually try to include a choice or two that involves Mst3k or Rifftrax

I considered Mario and Luigi, but I just view Luigi on nowhere the same level as Mario.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
A quick note: The second season of Umbrella Academy is arriving at Netflix tomorrow (yay!) and I'll be focused on that this weekend. But I have 3 days of posts in the bank, so we're still set here. I won't leave you hanging.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 02:22:06 AM »
#40 – Sonny and Cher

23 points on 4 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #16 (JTU)

Where: Records, Radio, TV comedy/variety show
Relationship: Spouses, musical partners

Born Salvatore Bono & Cherilyn Sarkisian, they were an American rock duo of entertainers made up of husband-and-wife Sonny Bono and Cher in the 1960s and 1970s. The couple started their career in the mid-1960s as R&B backing singers for record producer Phil Spector.

The pair first achieved fame with two hit songs in 1965, "Baby Don't Go" and "I Got You Babe". Signing with Atco/Atlantic Records, they released three studio albums in the late 1960s, as well as the soundtrack recordings for two unsuccessful movies, Good Times and Chastity, with Cher contributing vocals to one cut, "Chastity's Song (Band of Thieves)". In 1972, after three years of silence, the couple returned to the studio and released two other albums under the MCA/Kapp Records label.

In the 1970s, they also positioned themselves as media personalities with two top ten TV shows in the US, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and The Sonny & Cher Show. The couple's career as a duo ended in 1975 following their divorce. In the decade they spent together, Sonny and Cher sold over 40 million records worldwide.

Performing under her first name, Cher went on to a highly successful career as a solo singer and actress, while Sonny Bono was eventually elected to Congress as a Republican U.S. Representative from California. The two performers were inducted to the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1998, following Sonny's death in a skiing accident. - wiki

Craps From the Past: It appears this is their first time making a list of crap

Here's the song... Dig those Hal Blaine drums, great work from S&C and the Wrecking Crew. Funny that Cher hated the tune when she first heard it and didn't think it would be a hit. It went on to become the duo's biggest single, their signature song, and a defining recording of the early hippie countercultural movement.

In 2011, the song was named as one of the greatest duets of all time by both Billboard and Rolling Stone magazine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PkmBjHwzyMw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PkmBjHwzyMw</a>

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 02:26:31 AM »
#39 – Zorn and Largent

24 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #2 (George-2.0)

Where: NFL -Seattle Seahawks
Relationship: Teammates, friends

1976 was the year my (former) hometown, Seattle, joined the NFL - they weren't a great team in those early days, but they were entertaining as hell, and the duo who earned our cheers was quarterback Jim Zorn and wide receiver, Steve Largent. A great tandem on the field, and lifelong friends off. We've never done a sports related LoC, not sure we've ever had an athlete, as an athlete, not an actor, make a list, if Steve & Jim are the first, I'm one proud Hawks fan. Their bios...

Stephen Michael Largent is an American former professional football player, enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and a former Republican politician, having served in the U.S. House of Representatives for Oklahoma, from 1994 until 2002. Prior to his political career, Largent was a wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks in the National Football League for his entire 14-season professional football career. He held several all-time receiving records when he retired.

James Arthur Zorn is a former American football player and coach who currently serves as head coach and general manager of the Seattle Dragons of the second incarnation of the XFL. Zorn was a left-handed quarterback, and is best known as the starting quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks for their first eight seasons. He was the quarterbacks coach for the Seattle Seahawks from 2001 until the 2007 season, before being hired by Washington's team to be their head coach starting in the 2008 season.

The pair were the first two players inducted into the Seahawks Ring of Honor — Largent in 1989 and Zorn in 1991.

Craps From the Past: This is their first. Welcome to the club

A fun little interview with some shots of the guys in their glory days...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNULG1SehwA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JNULG1SehwA</a>

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 02:28:12 AM »
#38 – The Sklar Brothers

24 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #2 (JTU)

Where: Sports related comedy - TV, podcasts, webseries, standup
Relationship: Identical twins

Farrell Randal "Randy" Sklar and Jason Nathan Sklar (born January 12, 1972), professionally known as the Sklar Brothers, are comedians and actors best known for hosting the show Cheap Seats, which aired for four seasons on ESPN Classic beginning in 2004. Randy and Jason played fictitious ESPN research assistants who end up hosting a comedy show as they comment on odd and notable sporting events from ESPN's extensive library.

Cheap Seats borrowed its format from Mystery Science Theater 3000. The cast of MST3K apparently were pleased with the show and afforded it a high honor - they appeared in the second season opener in their normal silhouette format, making fun of the Sklars' host show bits. So far it is the only time Michael J. Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy have appeared as their MST3K characters Mike Nelson, Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo, respectively, since MST3K was cancelled.

Craps From the Past: They ranked 26th in LOC #16: Top 72 People You'd Want to See Riff

The Putt Putt Golf show, with a segment featuring Brian Poshen and Patton Oswalt

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHBRakTktj0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sHBRakTktj0</a>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:30:52 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5015
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 07:00:08 AM »
#40 – Sonny and Cher

23 points on 4 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #16 (JTU)

Where: Records, Radio, TV comedy/variety show
Relationship: Spouses, musical partners

Born Salvatore Bono & Cherilyn Sarkisian, they were an American rock duo of entertainers made up of husband-and-wife Sonny Bono and Cher in the 1960s and 1970s. The couple started their career in the mid-1960s as R&B backing singers for record producer Phil Spector.

The pair first achieved fame with two hit songs in 1965, "Baby Don't Go" and "I Got You Babe". Signing with Atco/Atlantic Records, they released three studio albums in the late 1960s, as well as the soundtrack recordings for two unsuccessful movies, Good Times and Chastity, with Cher contributing vocals to one cut, "Chastity's Song (Band of Thieves)". In 1972, after three years of silence, the couple returned to the studio and released two other albums under the MCA/Kapp Records label.

In the 1970s, they also positioned themselves as media personalities with two top ten TV shows in the US, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and The Sonny & Cher Show. The couple's career as a duo ended in 1975 following their divorce. In the decade they spent together, Sonny and Cher sold over 40 million records worldwide.

Performing under her first name, Cher went on to a highly successful career as a solo singer and actress, while Sonny Bono was eventually elected to Congress as a Republican U.S. Representative from California. The two performers were inducted to the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1998, following Sonny's death in a skiing accident. - wiki

Craps From the Past: It appears this is their first time making a list of crap

Here's the song... Dig those Hal Blaine drums, great work from S&C and the Wrecking Crew. Funny that Cher hated the tune when she first heard it and didn't think it would be a hit. It went on to become the duo's biggest single, their signature song, and a defining recording of the early hippie countercultural movement.

In 2011, the song was named as one of the greatest duets of all time by both Billboard and Rolling Stone magazine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PkmBjHwzyMw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PkmBjHwzyMw</a>
Still had more charisma than her other duo, her and Gregg Allman.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
Yeah, Sonny & Cher certainly had personality. That video really brought me back to my youth, to that era.

Also - I'm not sure how personal I should go with these things - if I'll make folks uncomfortable. But another reason I voted for Steve and Jim was personal. I've never met them in real life, but my brother met Steve (and liked him) and my late sister met Zorn. This was decades ago and she was a very sick little girl. One day he stopped by Seattle Children's Hospital, and she was beside herself, just thrilled that this famous person was visiting her, talking with her (and the other children of course). I still have the autograph he gave her, framed and sitting atop my fridge, and I see that every day. So he earns bonus respect and admiration for that, even more so than for his play on the field.

BTW, I still have my Steve Largent Wheaties box, lol

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:47:00 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 11:50:29 PM »
2 for Saturday...

#37 – Biscuits and Gravy

24 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #2 (linszoid)

Where: On your breakfast plate
Relationship: Uh, they mix well with one another?

Have I ever eaten this combination? I like my gravy on my spuds and honey on my biscuits, but I might have sampled it when I was living in the South.

Anyhoo - food, glorious food makes its way onto the 50.

Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the United States, especially in the South. The dish consists of soft dough biscuits covered in either sawmill or meat gravy, made from the drippings of cooked pork sausage, white flour, milk, and often bits of sausage, bacon, ground beef, or other meat. The gravy is often flavored with black pepper.

The meal emerged as a distinct regional dish after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), when stocks of foodstuffs were in short supply. Breakfast was necessarily the most substantial meal of the day in the South, for a person facing a day of work on the plantations. In addition, the lack of supplies and money meant it had to be cheap.

Restaurant chains specializing in biscuits and gravy are found in North Carolina, which has Biscuitville, and West Virginia, which has Tudor's Biscuit World. Starting in 2015 McDonald's offered an all-day breakfast menu which served their traditional muffins in most of the United States, but limited biscuits mostly to the southeastern United States.

Craps From the Past: Nuthin I could find - this is a first

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 11:53:08 PM »
#36 – The Sleez(e) Sisters

25 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #1 (stethacantus)

Where: Movie, Times Square
Relationship: Friends, lovers, band mates

From Erin Sheehy...

Times Square is the story of two teenage girls—Nicky Marotta (Robin Johnson), a tough street kid, and Pamela Pearl (Trini Alvarado), the daughter of a wealthy politician—who meet in a psychiatric ward and escape together, forging a life for themselves on the streets of New York. Pamela’s father runs a campaign to clean up Times Square based on the claim that the neighborhood isn’t safe for children, but that’s exactly where his daughter ends up, and she doesn’t want to go home. She and Nicky become best friends and, it’s implied, lovers. They move into an abandoned pier together, steal food and cool disguises, run three-card Monte games, wash windshields in aggressive squeegee-man fashion, try their hand at armed robbery, and get gigs at the Cleo Club, a strip joint whose coked-up manager is played by none other than the playwright Miguel Piñero. While still on the lam, Pammy and Nicky start a punk band called the Sleez Sisters, and with the help of a radio DJ named Johnny LaGuardia (Tim Curry), they inspire bored, overprotected teenage girls to embrace the grit and danger of the city.

The film bombed initially, but it went on to develop a cult following, in part because girls felt empowered by its optimism. For all its problems, Times Square depicts relationships that are still hard to find in movies, like a compelling female friendship and a romance between two women. But the real revelation of Times Square is Nicky, the butch teen idol. It’s a loss to audiences everywhere that Robin Johnson, then a 15-year-old first-time actor, never became famous.

Full review... nplusonemag.com/online-only/film-review/sleez-sisters/

Craps From the Past: LOC #100: Top 50 Fictional Bands/Singers (#50: Sleez(e) Sisters) * LOC #101: Top 50 Box Office Flops (#30: Times Square)

* Note most sources spell it as Sleez, some go with Sleeze - not sure who is right

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »

#37 – Biscuits and Gravy

24 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #2 (linszoid)

I need to stop making my lists while hungry.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 204
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 09:20:54 PM »
Relationship: Friends, lovers, band mates

It should be noted that the director, Alan Moyle, had shot many scenes that made it perfectly clear that Pamala and Nicky were both lesbians and had fallen in love. Producer Robert Stigwood was worried that the film would get an X rating. He wanted it R because he made money off of his films by selling the soundtracks on his RSO label, and had just lost a lot of money on the soundtrack to the Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band movie, which he had ended up having to dump millions of copies of in a landfill. If Times Square got an X rating, then not only wouldn't most theaters book the film, but with fewer people seeing it, the soundtrack would not be promoted. So Pamela and Nicky's love affair ended up on the cutting room floor.

But the real revelation of Times Square is Nicky, the butch teen idol. It’s a loss to audiences everywhere that Robin Johnson, then a 15-year-old first-time actor, never became famous.

Again, Robert Stigwood's fault. He recognized Robin's talent and signed her up to a multi year acting and recording contract. Her next film was supposed to be Grease II opposite Andy Gibb. But then Stigwood discovered that making a film for Paramount meant he had to cast whoever the Director wanted, so both Andy and Robin's parts were given to other actors. Robin ended up loosing her role to another up and coming actress named Michelle Pfeiffer. And then Stigwood seemed to loose interest in Robin. None of the albums she was supposed to record were released. He didn't put her in any more of his movies. He did, however, refuse to allow her out of her contract, so she had to pass up several acting offers from both movie and television producers. For the next couple of years she worked at a bank as a teller, waiting for Stigwood to do something with her career. When she finally got out of her RSO contract, she was no longer being offered roles. She ended up accepting a part in a low budget comedy called The Splitz which promoted her as the star of the film, even though she was clearly one of the minor characters. Her career picked up when she landed a part on the soap opera A Guiding Light where she became a popular character, then left when offered a role in a prime time NBC spy show called Codename Foxfire, doing a guest spot as a prostitute who helps Crocket and Tubbs pull off a sting  on Miami Vice in between. The spy show was cancelled after airing for about a month, and once again Robin was stuck under contract to a producer waiting to be offered a next project. She may have quit showbusiness after that, but then returned for the remake of D.O.A. where regrettably she had gotten rid of her Brooklyn accent. From there she went to a local theater group for a play The Unhappy Woman.  In 1995 she became a traffic reporter for KFWB, and was there until 2003. 

BTW, IMDb lists her in a 2016 film called Solace Comics, which upon further checking is a web series called Solace, but with a different 20ish actress who is also called Robin Johnson. Apparently no one has told the actors making web series for YouTube that you cant use another actor's name, and have to at least add an initial.

* Note most sources spell it as Sleez, some go with Sleeze - not sure who is right

There is no official spelling. Promotional material from RSO spelled it both ways, as did magazine articles at the time. Even the movie had it spelled both ways...

Most Times Square fans go with Sleeze sisters.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
Posting Sunday's two, early. This late Saturday - as tomorrow's gonna be a busy day.

#35 – Sam and Max

25 points 1 on of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #1 (Pak-Man)

Where: Comics, webcomics, games, TV
Relationship: Work partner, private investigators

Sam & Max is a media franchise focusing on the titular fictional characters, the Freelance Police. The characters, who occupy a universe that parodies American popular culture, were created by Steve Purcell in his youth, and later debuted in a 1987 comic book series. The characters have since been the subject of a graphic adventure video game developed by LucasArts, a television series produced for Fox in cooperation with Nelvana Limited, and a series of episodic adventure games developed by Telltale Games. In addition, a variety of machinima and a webcomic have been produced for the series.

The characters are a pair of anthropomorphic, vigilante private investigators based in a dilapidated office block in New York City. Sam is a six-foot-tall dog who wears a suit and a fedora, while Max is a short and aggressive "hyperkinetic rabbity thing". Both enjoy solving problems and cases as maniacally as possible, often with complete disregard for the law. Driving a seemingly indestructible black-and-white 1960 DeSoto Adventurer, the pair travel to many contemporary and historical locations to fight crime, including the Moon, Ancient Egypt, the White House and the Philippines, as well as several fictitious locations.

The series has been very successful despite its relatively limited amount of media, and has gathered a significant fan base. However, the franchise did not gain more widespread recognition until after the 1993 release of LucasArts' Sam & Max Hit the Road, which cultivated interest in Purcell's original comics. Sam & Max Hit the Road is regarded as an exceptional adventure game and an iconic classic of computer gaming in the 1990s. Subsequent video games and the television series have also fared well with both critics and fans; critics consider the episodic video games to be the first successful application of the episodic distribution model.

Craps From the Past: LOC  #120: Top 50 Fictional Talking Animals! (#26: Sam & Max) * LOC #93: Top 50 Cartoons of the 90s (#35: Sam & Max) * LOC #78: Top 50 Fictional Police Officers (#15: Sam & Max) * LOC #73: Top 50 Video Games of the 90s (#38: Sam & Max Hit the Road) * LOC #40: Top 50 Comic Books (#41: Sam & Max) * LOC #39: Top 50 Video Game Characters (#16: Sam & Max)

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:25 PM »
#34 –Rum and Coke

25 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #1 (linszoid)

Where: Bars and liquor stores, in your glass, in your mouth
Relationship: Friends with benefits?

If you needed something to wash down those biscuits and gravy...

Rum and Coke, or the Cuba libre (/ˈkjuːbə ˈliːbreɪ/; Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkuβa ˈliβɾe], "Free Cuba"), is a highball cocktail consisting of cola, rum, and in many recipes lime juice on ice. Traditionally, the cola ingredient is Coca-Cola ("Coke"), and the alcohol is a light rum such as Bacardi. However, the drink may be made with various types of rums and cola brands, and lime juice may or may not be included.

The cocktail originated in the early 20th century in Cuba, after the country won independence in the Spanish–American War. It subsequently became popular across Cuba, the United States, and other countries. Its simple recipe and inexpensive, ubiquitous ingredients have made it one of the world's most popular alcoholic drinks. Drink critics often consider the drink mediocre, but it has been noted for its historical significance. - Wiki

Craps From the Past: None as a team, Rum on its own, various types of Coke, and Jack and Coke made LOC #52: Top 64 Beverages

See y'all Monday, where I'll get back to the 3-a-days

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »
I feel like the only alcoholic on this board.

Anyone want to join me for a Rum and Coke?

Anyone visiting Toledo is invited
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:37:49 PM by linszoid »