login

Author Topic: List of Crap #126: 50 Famous Duos  (Read 3866 times)

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 632
List of Crap #126: 50 Famous Duos
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:09:05 AM »

According to Judeo-Christian tradition, those two ding dongs pictured above were the original famous duo in human form. I only call them ding dongs because if not for them, we could all be in paradise right now, just running around naked, and living the high life. I mean look at that poor dope, scratching his head, "I dunno Eve, should we oughtta?"

And so here we are, not with a list you voted on, but the only list someone was willing to host. I usually like to cover subjects that take us out of the familiar and into the new. Buuut in these trying times, I thought it best to serve up a topic that was simple and easy, one that didn't require a lot of research or music listening, movie watching, etc.

Like comfort food.... not that there won't be surprises along the way. (I personally steered (mostly) clear of the comic book geek stuff I've traditionally leaned into, just a little change)

So here we go, these are your 50 famous duos!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:11:22 AM by George-2.0 »

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
Re: List of Crap #126: 50 Famous Duos
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »
and as you probably know by now, I avoid ties - when all the tie-breakers fail, I'll rank them by alphabetic order, which is difficult here (who comes first?) but we'll muddle through as best we can.

#50 – 21 and 24

22 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #4 (Pak-Man)

Where: Venture Brothers TV show
Relationship: Henchmen

I don't watch the show, and a quick overview for both was hard to come by, but this was written at a fandom wiki...

Henchman 21 (real name: Gary Fischer) is a henchman of The Monarch and a major recurring character on The Venture Bros. As confirmed by his fellow henchmen, he is actually Henchman 1 as of Season 4, due to becoming a competent fighter.

24 is shown to be very cowardly, as he is shown to rather give up entirely without putting much of a fight, when being put into a fight, as well as fearing confrontation most of the time when Brock Samson shows up, saying "Oh crap" every time he sees him.

If anyone wants to throw in with a better, clearer write-up, go ahead on. My apologies for being completely in the dark and floundering with this one

Craps From the Past: LOC #54: Top 63 Second Bananas (#17: Henchman 24, #13:  Henchman 21)

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
#49 – Thompson and Dundy

22 points on 1 of 8  lists - Highest Ranking: #4 (stethacantus)

Where: History
Relationship:  Business partners - architect, engineer, inventor, and showman

Perhaps of all the showmen that entertained the American public at the turn of the century, none were more famous or successful than the partnership of Frederic Thompson and Elmer "Skip" Dundy. They were best remembered for building Coney Island's Luna Park in 1903 and Manhattan's famous Hippodrome Theater in 1905, but their partnership began even earlier.

To read further... https://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/thompson&dundy.htm

Luna Park was founded by Frederic Thompson and Elmer 'Skip' Dundy.  Thompson, an architect by training, was born in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1872. His exceptional creative ingenuity and marketing flair were rivaled only by his equally exceptional disregard for financial prudence. Dundy, born in 1862 in Omaha, Nebraska, was Thompson's perfect complement. He naturally was an astute and crafty businessman with a knack for raising money, but lacked the artistic creativity.

to read further... https://www.heartofconeyisland.com/luna-park-coney-island.html

Craps From the Past: None that I could find, this is their LOC debut, and that's pretty cool

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:21:56 AM »
#48 – Pons and Fleischmann

22 points on 1 of 8  lists - Highest Ranking: #4 (George-2.0)

Where: Science
Relationship: Research collaborators

The chemists claiming to have solved the world's energy problems with cold fusion, Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann, made a somewhat unlikely pair. Pons was a quiet and modest man from a small town in North Carolina. Fleischmann was an outgoing European who exuded confidence and was almost old enough to be Pons' father. The two had met while Pons was completing his Ph.D. at the University of Southampton in England, where Fleischmann was a professor. Pons admired Fleischmann's intelligence and ingenuity, and Fleischmann soon became his mentor and friend. The two remained close over the years, as Pons moved from a graduate student position into a professorship at the University of Utah. Shortly after Pons took up his post as professor, the two began to collaborate on research projects.

I remember when this "cold fusion" story broke, science was suddenly the hot topic in the news, the excitement over how these two might have solved the energy crises had us all a buzz. However, as quickly as it exploded, it went south, questions asked, doubts were raised, did they rush their findings? "Fusion or Illusion?" a Time magazine cover asked. It's a complicated story, covered here nicely. if your curious.

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/cold_fusion_01

Craps From the Past: None that I saw
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:43:13 PM by George-2.0 »

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
#47 – The Elric Brothers

22 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #4 (Russoguru)

Where: Manga, film, games
Relationship: Brothers

Once again, not familair with this (sorry), so I'll steal from Darth Geek, who wrote of Edward... "Why is he badass? He has a robot arm and leg! And even though he is only 16, is an expert in alchemy and martial arts. He is determined in his pursuit of the Philosopher’s Stone, to help himself and his brother who is a living suit of armor (that sounds even more badass, why wasn’t he nominated?). And he gets hit by wrenches a lot, but that doesn’t stop him."

From wiki -  Fullmetal Alchemist is a Japanese shōnen manga series written and illustrated by Hiromu Arakawa.  The steampunk world of Fullmetal Alchemist is primarily styled after the European Industrial Revolution. Set in a fictional universe in which alchemy is one of the advanced natural techniques revolved around scientific laws of equivalent exchange, the series follows the adventures of two alchemist brothers named Edward and Alphonse Elric, who are searching for the philosopher's stone to restore their bodies after a failed attempt to bring their mother back to life using alchemy.

Craps From the Past: LOC #119: Top 50 Fictional Badasses! (#48b: Edward Elric)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3233
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
I completely spaced on scientist duos, should have had a few of them on my list.

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1199
  • Everyday ends with a tums festival!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
Thanks for hosting this list George!!!  ;D
"In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm going to enjoy it... very very much."
-Thanos

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
You're very welcome.  :)

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 07:16:44 AM »
#46 – The Everly Brothers

22 points on 2 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #14 (MartyS (Gromit))

Where: Records, concerts, television
Relationship: Harmonizing brothers

Isaac Donald "Don" Everly (born February 1, 1937) and Phillip "Phil" Jason Everly (January 19, 1939 – January 3, 2014) scored one memorable hit after another, the first in 1957, with "Bye Bye Love", and followed up by "Wake Up Little Susie", "All I Have to Do Is Dream", and "Problems". In 1960, they signed with the major label Warner Bros. Records and recorded "Cathy's Clown".

From Richie Unterberger...

The Everly Brothers were not only among the most important and best early rock & roll stars, but also among the most influential rockers of any era. They set unmatched standards for close, two-part harmonies and infused '50s rock & roll with some of the best elements of country and pop music. In the late '60s and early '70s, their style proved a natural fit for the burgeoning country-rock movement. After a mid-'70s breakup, the duo reunited in the '80s and continued performing together into the 21st century. Their legacy was and is felt enormously in all rock acts that employ harmonies as prime features, from the Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel to legions of country-rockers as well as roots rockers like Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe (who once recorded an EP of Everlys songs together).

to read further... allmusic.com

The Everly Brothers were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of the inaugural class of 1986, and into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2001.

Craps From the Past: None that I could find

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kj5IqiY8HXM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kj5IqiY8HXM</a>

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 07:18:19 AM »
#45 – Walter and Jesse

22 points on 2 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #12 (JTU)

Where: TV series, Breaking Bad
Relationship: It's complicated, see below

Ranked 8th in Rolling Stone's list of the 50 Best TV Duos - they wrote...

Among all the pairings on this list, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman embodied the widest variety of archetypes. Student and teacher, master and servant, father and son, hero and villain — over the course of Breaking Bad's five-plus seasons, Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul were tasked with playing all these relationships and more. Not bad, considering that Jesse wasn't intended to last longer than the first season. Instead, his increasingly warped connection to mild-mannered chemistry teacher turned mass-murdering meth kingpin called "Heisenberg" drove one of the greatest drams of all time, from start to finish.

Craps From the Past: LOC #64: Top 50 Scientists (#24: Walter White) * LOC #102: Top 50 TV Shows 2 (#9: Breaking Bad) * Bryan Cranston was ranked #32 in LOC #95: Top 50 Actors and Actresses

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 07:20:11 AM »
#44 – Zim and GIR

23 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #3 (CJones)

Where: Nickelodian TV, Oni Press comic book - Invader Zim
Relationship: Master and robot servant

An alien named Zim from the planet Irk is sent on a secret mission to conquer Earth, not realizing that his leaders were just trying to get rid of him and hoped that he would die. Once there, Zim manages to disguise himself as a human child, but one boy named Dib sees through his disguise.

GIR appeared in the first episode of Invader Zim, which aired on March 30, 2001. In this episode, GIR was assigned as a robot servant to Zim, an alien tasked with taking over Earth. Immediately upon his introduction, it becomes clear that GIR is unhelpful, annoying, and erratic.

Created by comic book writer and cartoonist Jhonen Vasquez

Won an Emmy in 2001 for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation

Craps From the Past: LOC #102: Top 50 TV Shows 2 (#43, Invader Zim) * LOC #79: Top 50 Science Fiction TV series (#31) * LOC #54: Top 63 Second Bananas (#14 GIR) * LOC #51: Top 50 Sci Fi Characters (#25, Zim) * #46: Top 50 Animated Series (#8, Invader Zim) * LOC #42: Top 50 Aliens (#39, Zim) * LOC #26: Top 50 Theme Songs (#35, Invader Zim) * LOC #25: Top 53 Animated Characters (#36, Zim)

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 02:49:46 AM »
#43 – Jeeves and Wooster

23 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #3 (MartyS (Gromit))

Where: Novels, British television series, movies
Relationship: One of the idle rich and his valet

This series chronicles the misadventures (romantic and otherwise) of the impeccably dressed Bertie Wooster and his trusty and sagacious valet, Jeeves.

Bertie Wooster and Jeeves were ranked 43rd in Rolling Stones list of the Top 50 TV Duos. They wrote...

The gents already achieved stardom in the classic Britcom Blackadder as well their own sketch-comedy showcases; they'd eventually go on to second careers as an outspoken observer of culture and the lead of House, MD respectively. But in between, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie absolutely nailed the title roles in a hilarious adaptation of writer P.G. Wodehouse's comedic misadventures. It may have been set in the waning days of the British aristocracy, but Laurie's oblivious fop and Fry's unflappable valet are a class-system send-up for the ages.

Craps From the Past: Didn't find anything specific to the books, movies or the show, but the actiors were included in LOC #60: Top 50 Comedic Actors/Actresses (#23: Stephen Fry, #17: Hugh Laurie)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:04:42 AM by George-2.0 »

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 03:10:53 AM »
#42 – Dr. Forrester and TVs Frank

23 points on 1 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #3 (George-2.0)

Where: TV, film, live shows - Mystery Science Theater
Relationship: Mad scientist and lab assistant, roomies in Deep 13

There have been several MST mads, but these were the best (IMHO).

Trace Beaulieu's Dr. Clayton Deborah Susan Forrester was the chief mad from MST3Ks inception in 1988 through the seventh season in 1996, and also appeared in Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie in 1996. He was joined in the shows 'official' second season by Frank Conniff's TV's Frank, a dim witted, hapless, but affable stooge.

Legend has it that Dr. F discovered Frank working at a nearby Arby's and -with due respect to J. Elvis, who I think is hella funny, And the talented Mary Jo, who currently matches up nicely with Bridget Nelson, and who took over the job in season 7 when Frank died- the pairing of Frank and Forrester was a match made in heaven. They were such a magical duo that Trace and Frank have continued on with live shows (and a recent streaming show) under the title "The Mads Are Back" - thought they do this as themselves, and not in character.

My only question to you dear readers, is how the heck was I the only one to vote for them?

Craps From the Past: The show has popped up in several sci-fi and comedy lists. As for this duo - LOC #117: Top 50 Villains 2 (#5: Dr. Clayton Forrester) * LOC #88: Top 50 MST3k Host Segments (#31: Doctor Forrester Becomes a Starchild, #27: Nummy Muffin Coocol Butter in which Frank sings, #40: Goodbye, Frank) * LOC #10: Top 50 Villains (#6: Dr. Clayton Forrester) * LOC #54: Top 63 Second Bananas (#2: TV’s Frank)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:36:21 AM by George-2.0 »

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 03:14:34 AM »
#41 – Mario and Luigi

23 points on 3 of 8 lists - Highest Ranking: #6 (Pak-Man)

Where: Nintendo games, movies, TV, merchandise
Relationship: Fraternal twin brothers

Mario is a fictional character in the Mario video game franchise, owned by Nintendo and created by Japanese video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto. Acting as the company's mascot, as well as being the eponymous protagonist of the series, Mario has appeared in over 200 video games since his creation. Depicted as a short, pudgy, Italian plumber who resides in the Mushroom Kingdom, his adventures generally center upon rescuing Princess Peach from the Koopa villain Bowser. Mario's fraternal twin brother and sidekick is Luigi.

Luigi is portrayed as the taller, younger brother of Mario, and he is usually seen dressed in a green shirt with dark blue overalls and a green hat with an L insignia. Although Luigi is a plumber, like his brother, other facets of his personality vary from game to game. Luigi always seems nervous and timid but is good-natured and not as quick to anger as his more famous brother.

Craps From the Past: Mario Bros. show up often and in several versions in various games lists, and is a constant in the 'movies you want riffed' LOCs * Mario was ranked 1st, Luigi 8th in LOC #39: Top 50 Video Game Characters * Luigi was also ranked 21st in LOC #54: Top 63 Second Bananas * The animated series was ranked in LOC #74: Top 50 Cartoons of the 80s (#44: The Super Mario Brothers Super Show!)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:36:52 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3233
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 06:42:17 AM »
Can't belive I forgot the mads...

20 years before Highclere Castle was used on Downton Abbey it was used in several episodes of Jeeves and Wooster, it was where one of the recurring "aunties" lived.

I've also read a lot of the P. G. Wodehouse Jeeves and Wooster stories and all have been great reads.

For some reason the Jeeves and Wooster show doesn't get much love on home video or streaming, it took forever for it to come out on DVD (went out of print fast so prices for the sets are crazy these days) and it doesn't seem like it will ever get an HD transfer...  Don't know why, it's hilarious, has an infectious soundtrack, and was filmed at great locations.