Author Topic: Netflix MCU on Blu-ray???  (Read 281 times)

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
Netflix MCU on Blu-ray???
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
Ever since the first season of Daredevil came out on Netflix, I have been trying to buy that and the other MCU Netflix series on home video. But so far all I have been able to get is season 1 of Daredevil and season 1 of Jessica Jones ( which I am not even sure was suppose to be a North American release ). Everything else seems to still only be PAL releases for Europe. Were the rest ever released for North America? If so, is this one of those situations where the Amazon search is so f$#ked up that you have to deep dog search to find the North American release page, or are they simply not available on Amazon?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 849
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Netflix MCU on Blu-ray???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 06:31:37 PM »
They only released season 1 of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Daredevil they released seasons 1 and 2 and that is it. If you are seeing imports of the others then they might be bootlegs.  blu-ray.com is a great source for releases around the world.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
With Daredevil, when you look up season 2 or second season, this is what you get.

Note the British rating sticker on the box, a red flag. Also a red flag, the third party sellers are all located in England. It is region free, but does not list format, If this is sold in England, then it should only be PAL.  Some  reviews claim will not play on their machines.

Three more options are given. Option #2 has a German ratings sticker on it, and a warning from Amazon immediately pops up stating it will not play on machines in North America.

Option #3 is region 1a, but has a box different than the first two boxes, and is only one disc instead of four. Both red flags for bootleg.

Option #4, PAL and Amazon warning that it wont play on North American machines.  Technically there is an Option #5, which both season 1 and 2 are bundled together, but they are PAL and region blocked.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:17:04 AM by stethacantus »

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3093
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »
 If you have a Blu-ray drive on your PC that is a way to play discs from the UK.  I've got a few and use my PC to play them, computers deal with a variety of frame rates way better than TVs.  So far I have not found any software that does a good job converting frame rates without messing up the audio so haven't been able to convert them to play on my TVs.

Technically they are not PAL (phase alternating line), all blu-rays are 1080p or 1080i, but the ones sold in PAL territories are 50 frames per second and very few stand alone players and TVs in North America will play that frame rate.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:05:13 PM »
Yeah PAL is not a factor for blu-rays. frame rate? Can't speak to that.  Here is a pic of the slip for season 2 USA:

Here is the back of the UK release:

Both listed as region A,B,C, (all region).

The USA version is more than likely out of print.  It looks like you could still get the UK season 2 from Amazon UK for £14.99 here: https://amzn.to/3clLNYf although the one here https://amzn.to/3cmoQEb is in stock and it is a third party fufilled by Amazon. So it would be coming from an Amazon warehouse. Also Amazon is pretty easy to return, if it isn't right send it back!

Although with COVID international shipping is pretty bad right now...
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 04:01:23 PM »
That would be the same back of the box as the one with the odd cover art and listed as a single disc on Amazon which is possibly a bootleg.

As for the possibility that the American releases is OOP, I have been checking Amazon regularly since the second season debuted on Netflix. The UK release was the first to pop up, followed by the German release a few weeks later. The one with the funky box you have to deep dig search for.  It does not appear on the regular search. You have to click the U.K. release then click the "Additional Options" list.

And there is another problem. Netflix has cancelled all their MCU series. Which means they ca now be released as complete series sets.  So do I even risk buying any single seasons and then have to double dip and buy a complete series set to get the final season?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3093
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 04:48:31 PM »
Realized I hadn't tried converting 50 fps since I got my new PC and updated nero video.

I have Sherlock season 1 from the UK in 1080i 50fps (sometimes called 50i), converted an episode to standard 1080p 24 fps and it seems to have worked, the lip sync is good, but I did a fast encode so the colors are a bit off.

So it seems conversion has improved since I last tried it several years ago.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 06:07:28 AM »
As for the possibility that the American releases is OOP, I have been checking Amazon regularly since the second season debuted on Netflix. The UK release was the first to pop up, followed by the German release a few weeks later. The one with the funky box you have to deep dig search for.  It does not appear on the regular search. You have to click the U.K. release then click the "Additional Options" list.

And there is another problem. Netflix has cancelled all their MCU series. Which means they ca now be released as complete series sets.  So do I even risk buying any single seasons and then have to double dip and buy a complete series set to get the final season?

I saw Season 1 in Target in 2016 when it was released.  As I am writing this, I remembered that there is or was an AMAZON/Disney dispute and Amazon was not carrying Disney titles.... https://bit.ly/2LmqRUU

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
Playon allows you to record Netflix, Hulu, a bnch of other streaming services. Have to have a paid subscription and it adds a warning with your personal information at the beginning and end stating its for your own personal use and distribution is illegal and it records in real time (an hour show tales an hour to record) but I use it for anything I want a copy of to keep.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
All of the seasons are on Itunes as well.  Little program called M4VGear and they are yours to play on whatever you want.