login

Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:41 PM »
Update from my last post: Let our computer sit in rice for a day. Can't believe it actually worked, but, yep, it's totally back on now.  :O

Now I can enjoy this quarantine a little more. And Walmart doesn't close until 8:30pm, so I don't have to rush when I get off work.

I also hear Greenwise Market and Whole Foods have bread and basic necessities other places don't. Speculation is the rich parts of town aren't hoarding. I hesitate to visit multiple places, but I may wind up doing so. We'll see tomorrow.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:01 PM »
Glad to hear rice trick worked for you. Had it work for a cellphone several years ago. Didn't work for me with a laptop a couple of years ago though. Everything continued to work but keyboard and trackpad, but using a laptop with an external keyboard and mouse kills most of the purpose of having a laptop vs a desktop.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »
Used to run to Walmart a couple of times a week before work. Was always nice being able to shop in a virtually empty store. Was tempted to do it today despite store not being as empty as it was at that time of day anymore. Had some wants but not needs so thought better of it and didn't go. Will go when I have a real need. Seems ridiculous that toilet paper is likely going to be the need that will soon require hitting multiple stores hoping to get lucky.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 08:08:45 PM »
I've had luck hitting up Walgreens for some of the harder-to-find items.

Offline Toranaga

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 06:48:40 AM »
I've been watching all the coverage.  How come they never point out that the more vectors and the longer time of exposure the more intense the infection?  People think getting sick is a binary situation.  It isn't.  Seems to me an important point.  Especially for health workers.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:07 AM »
I was literally trying to get a hair appointment a week and a half ago, because I'm getting uncomfortably shaggy, but I couldn't get in with anyone. Now I'm REALLY uncomfortably shaggy and barbers/hairstylists are not considered an essential business. By the time this apocalypse is over, I'm gonna look the part.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6254
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
I was literally trying to get a hair appointment a week and a half ago, because I'm getting uncomfortably shaggy, but I couldn't get in with anyone. Now I'm REALLY uncomfortably shaggy and barbers/hairstylists are not considered an essential business. By the time this apocalypse is over, I'm gonna look the part.

Pak when this is all over:

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 694
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/LEuoiKNUfdI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/LEuoiKNUfdI</a>

We have the technology. We can rebuild him.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2913
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
Went to Target this afternoon to get some groceries, what a surreal experience, X marks on the floor of the checkout lines to keep people separated, announcements telling people to stay 6 feet apart.  Still no laundry bleach, didn't look at toilet paper since I have enough for 2 months, snack food was restocked, bread and pasta gone, flour almost gone but I got enough to use my bread machine for several weeks.  I did manage to get enough stuff so I shouldn't have to go shopping again for 2 to 3 weeks.

I first tried to go to Trader Joe's but there was a line outside the door, it's a cramped store so I guess they were only letting a few people in at a time.  Looked like about 25 people in line and it was raining a little so I went to Target instead, the people in line were right up against each other.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »

Pak when this is all over:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4424
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
Went to Walmart and Dollar Tree and they were both still out of TP.. Walmart had an announcement every couple of songs about safety and preventative action against the virus. Store hours changed from 24 hours to 8am - 8:30pm. Still had some bare shelves in the aisles but was still able to find most of what we needed. Gas was $1.81 which I topped my tank off at  $13.00.
Also got an automated phone call from the post office reconfirming that we are considered essential employees and that we are to report to work as scheduled. Thanks for the inspirational message ::)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 915
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »
My sister sold her house about a month ago, and now it's up in the air whether the new house will be ready in time to move into. Unfortunately, the people that bought her curent house want to move in, and my sister doesn't have anywhere to move to.

On a more positive note, I found toilet paper today, at Walgreens. So yeah, definitely check them out.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Was driving by grocery store at lunch. Parking lot almost empty. Stopped. Yea! TP aisle full. Limit 1 per person. Have TP and paper towels and there was no one in line at checkout. Probably should have spent a few more minutes shopping, but so excited to get TP that I just grabbed it and ran.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
Morning radio on the way into work..talking about an online TP calculator where you put in the average number of times you shit in a day and then the number of rolls you have on hand and the calculator tells you how many days until you will run out...for 1 shit a day, 12 rolls was supposed to last you 176 days...either calculator was totally fubared or I must shit like 12 times a day and not realize it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 05:53:51 PM »
And gas here $1.37.