login

Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 7165 times)

ScottotD and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4621
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1461
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #301 on: July 01, 2020, 07:44:22 PM »
My state is at stage 4, so basically back to normal with distancing encouraged.  State borders are still closed though as Eastern states have gone into lockdown again
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 510
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2020, 04:05:25 PM »
Alabama's ICUs are at 82% capacity. Florida just shattered a record 10,000 cases in one day.

Sometimes I like to imagine a reverse world where liberals look at conservatives saying they're "overreacting" and laughing at doing everything they can to protect themselves. Aren't conservatives the ones building bunkers and stockpiling guns and deep into conspiracies. But if the gub'ment says it, it *must* be wrong, I guess. I'm ready to move out of the South.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 363
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »
So politics in relation to non-political topics are OK outside of the inferno now? Cool I guess.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6337
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
So politics in relation to non-political topics are OK outside of the inferno now? Cool I guess.
Good point. I have moved my comment to the Toxic Topics thread the the Politics section..

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1461
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »
The US 'response' feels batshit to me, are individual cities, counties(?), towns within states deciding what to do themselves?

Good point. I have moved my comment to the Toxic Topics thread the the Politics section..

Lucky passive/aggressive comments aren't contagious as well I guess  ;D
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #306 on: July 06, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »
OH :o My town finally decided to pass a mask requirement ordinance..
ROCK HILL, S.C. (CN2 NEWS) Rock Hill City Council holding a meeting this Monday, July 6, to discuss an emergency ordinance that would require people to wear masks.

The City Council just passed the emergency ordinance, that will now require people to wear masks. The majority voted, 5-2.

The mask ordinance will go into effect Friday morning, July 10, and will be in place for 60 days.
https://www.cn2.com/rock-hill-city-council-passes-an-emergency-ordinance-requiring-people-to-wear-masks/

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Just had my first Zoom job interview.

Actually turned out to be more of a presentation given to a bunch of candidates at once followed by a survey, and if they like my answers I get a one-on-one Zoom call before the end of the week.

It's a weird random thing, I put up my resume on ziprecruiter to look for inventory control jobs in Ohio (that's what I've been doing for the last decade or so) and out of nowhere I get a call from an insurance company in Pennsylvania. Something in my resume seemed to catch their attention and hard, I guess the team leadership part. The recruiter might have been blowing smoke, but he implied that they're mainly looking for people they think can advance into supervisor roles, so the fact that I've had a team of 7 under me in my department got my foot in the door. I was almost smelling a scam but the research I did came up very positive, and if I doubted the fact that they were interested I got a separate recruiter calling me days later and an email from a third all for this same interview.

I'll hear if I get a final interview by the end of today.  I was a little worried because I've never been good at sales, but they're upfront that none of what they do is cold calls or telemarketing, that I'd only be selling to people who specifically ask for it through their jobs or union, and I'm pretty sure I can handle that.

It could potentially get me out of Texas and I'd have a job without a large degree of physical labor, so maybe I won't be in constant back pain so much.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2020, 12:14:43 PM »
A local restaurant here in SC just posted this..
Beginning today, Wednesday July 8th, all customers are required to wear a mask while inside the restaurant. You may remove your mask when seated at the bar or a table/booth. Masks are required when entering/exiting and anytime you are not seated.
Ok what sense does this make ???

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3787
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
That's how they've been doing it here in NM. You have to wear your mask into the restaurant, but you're not required to wear masks while eating (Since that's kind of impossible), so as soon as dining begins, the masks can come off.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2020, 12:51:52 PM »
So ... how is this policy effective against the spread of Covid-19 in their establishment ???

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
So ... how is this policy effective against the spread of Covid-19 in their establishment ???

It assumes that the range of your potential droplets will be contained to your general area around the table (likely only certain tables will be used and will be spread at least 6 feet apart) and that the only people within that range other than you and your party will be employees who will be required to wear masks. The tables will be cleaned thoroughly between uses. You're required to have a mask yourself in the areas you are more likely to be in close proximity to other customers.

It's not a perfect system at all, but it is the bare minimum assuming they follow the procedures and there aren't any idiots causing problems.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2020, 01:11:08 PM »
That's understandable but I won't be taking any chances with dine-in anytime soon..
I'll stick with curb-side pickup for the foreseeable future.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
That's understandable but I won't be taking any chances with dine-in anytime soon..
I'll stick with curb-side pickup for the foreseeable future.

Same for me. It's worked well for me so far.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 363
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
Well the obvious thing with restaurants/bars and masks is you can't eat or drink while wearing a mask, so requiring them to get to and from table makes sense. Requiring them at table not so much.
Have been out to eat at a couple of locally owned places. Both practiced good distancing and some other practices. Still hearing about other places around that aren't.