Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 7167 times)

ScottotD and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 363
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2020, 03:56:46 PM »
Testing starting to get more agressive and with it confirmed numbers of infected. Small stores can reopen but have to restrict number insode store to 5 customers. Drivein theaters can reopen too- think we have 2 in the whole state- only 1 that I'm sure of and it's a couple of hours away. Had sworn I wasn't going to go to Walmart again for awhile after trip there over a week ago when it was too crowded, but only store without limits on food items so did my grocery shopping for the next week plus there yesterday. Nothing but home and work for me for at least the next 9 days.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 964
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #256 on: May 12, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »
Here's some disheartening statistics, just in case you were under any misconception that the COVID-19 pandemic wasn't utterly mishandled in the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?%22

Some pertinent numbers:

Total number of cases, per country, top 11 (as of May 12):

1 USA - 1,393,228
2 Spain - 269,520
3 Russia - 232,243
4 UK - 226,463
5 Italy - 221,216
6 France - 177,423
7 Germany - 172,812    
8 Brazil - 172,243
9 Turkey - 141,475    
10 Iran - 110,767
11 China - 82,919

I have no doubt China's number is grossly under-reported, but still, 83K vs our 1.4M. They have a much higher and much more densely packed population. Granted, they also have the "advantage" of having to deal with this kind of crap a lot more often than us

We (the US) have about as many cases as the next 6 countries combined.

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 917
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2020, 11:34:11 AM »
Total number of cases, per country, top 11 (as of May 12):
1 USA - 1,393,228
2 Spain - 269,520
3 Russia - 232,243
4 UK - 226,463
5 Italy - 221,216
6 France - 177,423
7 Germany - 172,812    
8 Brazil - 172,243
9 Turkey - 141,475    
10 Iran - 110,767
11 China - 82,919
A certain orange politician: "We are doing so much better than the rest of the world, we are doing number 1 in this contest."

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #258 on: May 12, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »
Looking at those numbers from a more statiscally relevant point of view and not trying to throw politics at it, percentage of infected population of U.S. less than percentage infected in Russia. Percentage of population infected for 6 of the top 10 countries (all but Russia, Brazil, Turkey, and Iran) is virtually identical. Too many factors involved (what percentage of population in each country has been tested, what kind of test was done, etc) for me to be convinced the numbers are comparing apples to apples though.

Offline CJones

« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2020, 04:06:16 PM »
Yeah, but that's less fun  :P

You're right though, that did occur to me after I posted that.

Offline CJones

« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
Okay, so I did some more research and, if Wikipedia is to be trusted, the US is #11 in the world in cases per capita.

Cases per million inhabitants, as of May 10th. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_by_country_and_territory

1 San Marino    18985    
2 Vatican City    14545    
3 Andorra    9724    
4 Qatar            8056    
5 Luxembourg  6192    
6 Iceland    4919    
7 Spain            4764    
8 Ireland    4625    
9 Belgium    4602    
10 Gibraltar    4334    
11 United States    4099

Interesting to note, most of the countries ahead of us are minuscule.

Also of note, China reports 59 per million, India 46, and Russia 1429.     

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7213
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2020, 05:15:48 AM »
Poland eases lockdown, hairdressers, cafes set to re-open

Hairdressers and beauty parlours and will be allowed to re-open on May 18 as Poland moves into a third phase of easing its coronavirus lockdown rules, the country’s prime minister announced on Wednesday.

Restaurants, bars and cafes will also be able open their doors, though the amount of customers they can serve will depend on the size of the premises, Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki told reporters.
A greater number of passengers will be allowed onto public transport.
https://www.polskieradio.pl/395/7789/Artykul/2509623,UPDATE-Poland-eases-lockdown-hairdressers-cafes-set-to-reopen

i don't think we're testing nearly enough to do this. the huge spike of positive cases from the coal miners yesterday shows that. similar population to canada (~1.2M tests, 32 tests/1000 people), but there've only been ~500k tests here (13 tests/1000 people). i am so glad i can work from home and that there are so many food delivery options in warsaw. i do still miss going out for a walk.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2020, 07:52:14 AM »
Cases per capita doesn't mean much either nor does comparing country to country or even state to state or area in a state to another area.
I'll use my county as an example. We finally started testing people who have syptoms but aren't sick enough to be hospitalized. 4% of those tested over the last week have tested positive causing our reported number of infected to skyrocket. Does that mean that we have a new outbreak or more infected then we had 4 weeks ago? No, it just means more people have been tested. And still the only tests have been of people exhibiting symptoms and there have been no antibody tests done.
But tests in Milwaukee where over half the known cases in the state have come from has been much more agressive in testing and has been testing people with no symptoms and some antibody testing, so you can start to draw some conclusions from ongoing testing there that you can't yet here.
My point is that comparing number of cases or even per capita cases in Yugoslavia to the U.S. is kind of like comparing Seinfeld, Wyoming to New York City. And there are too many interest groups right now with agendas trying to manipulate numbers to show what they don't really show.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4621
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »
This idiot came into the post office saying trump is on a roll with the post office isn't he?  And I responded that I don't like wondering if I will have a job or not. That shut him up ::)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »
This idiot came into the post office saying trump is on a roll with the post office isn't he?  And I responded that I don't like wondering if I will have a job or not. That shut him up ::)
And of course he didn't have a mask on not to mention coughing in the lobby. . PERFECT  :grr:

Offline CJones

« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »
Back when I was in the shipping business (about 10 years ago), I read that about 40% of the world's mail passes through the USPS at some point. So I fail to see what people imagine will happen if the USPS goes under, other than pandemonium.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
This BS scare tactic dipshit drumpf is doing  has a lot of us on edge.
There will be chaos if the USPS gets shut down. The latest segment of John Oliver tells us what the real issue is from a bill passed in 2006 that needs to be revised but the orange cheese puff would rather blame Amazon ::)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:38:30 AM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #267 on: May 13, 2020, 04:51:28 PM »
Wisconsin supreme court has ruled that the governor didn't have authority to extend his stay at home order without seeking approval from the legislature, so effective immediately everything can open back up with no legal restrictions. Stupid in a lot of ways, but governor was using some restrictions to specifically target some of his political enemies and allowing allies in the same or similar businesses to remain open, so it's not a huge surprise. Agree with the ruling from a legal perspective, but it's not what's best for public safety. Would like to think this would force some quick action to put at least some restrictions back in place but expect it will just result in a lot of name calling and blaming and nothing happening very fast

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2020, 05:07:12 AM »
Sounds like many area bars opened last time and some had a lot of customers- people with screwed up priorities. Local gov't reacted quicker then I expected. My county and most of the surrounding counties have enacted their own stay at home orders already. Initial orders appear to be for a week with local mayor saying it was a week in order to give legislature time to act. Expect legislature to pass something that limits capacity and some other "suggestions" but not much else. Whether governor signs it or not will probably depend on what other things get thrown in that have nothing to do with the crises.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3787
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2020, 07:29:31 AM »
New Mexico is allowing all retail stores to reopen at 20% capacity starting Saturday (Except for a couple smaller cities that are getting pummeled with COVID), but to mitigate that increased risk, they're also making masks mandatory, rather than strongly encouraged.