Author Topic: Folding COVID Proteins  (Read 1354 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: Folding COVID Proteins
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »
Forgot about this and came back to it seeing 22% completed. Now up to 26%. I don't know what that means, but I'm happy it's working now for me.

The team is currently ranked 7,746. Not sure if that's good or whatever, but I do know one thing:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2915
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
Once a work unit is completed and sent in your stats will update.

Or not...  Looks like the donor and team stats haven't been updated since Friday, hopefully the million or so points I've generated in the last 2 days will show up eventually when the servers catch up.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1701
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
Once a work unit is completed and sent in your stats will update.

Or not...  Looks like the donor and team stats haven't been updated since Friday, hopefully the million or so points I've generated in the last 2 days will show up eventually when the servers catch up.

Yeah hasn’t updated for me either, as I’ve also been putting some points in, and I don’t see Stan on the list yet. I’m sure the website is just really slow.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37:55 PM »
Looks like they got the stats servers back online, our little team just cracked the top 2.5%.

I'm probably going to drop mine down to medium power, not sure I want my fans running full speed all the time they way they are now.  My GPU generates loads of points since it can do a work unit in just over an hour, but my office is now the warmest room in the house...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
Looks like they got the stats servers back online, our little team just cracked the top 2.5%.

I'm probably going to drop mine down to medium power, not sure I want my fans running full speed all the time they way they are now.  My GPU generates loads of points since it can do a work unit in just over an hour, but my office is now the warmest room in the house...

Yeah, my cat is loovvvving sitting on my desk, as my computer is just belching out heat when I run it.    I also see you've surpassed me in points.  Congrats.  And Stansimpson is now on the chart.  Just one work unit, but you have to start somewhere. 

I'll be happy when we crack the top 5000 teams.  And I think we have a chance at cracking the top 4000.  Anythings higher than that is going to be difficult I feel.  Getting in the top 1000 would be amazing, but I don't think it's in the cards. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 08:21:19 AM »
Setting the client to medium doesn't seem to affect GPU usage at all, so I've set up some profiles in EVGA Precision that have different power limits.  Right now my CPU is folding at about 100 watts, and the GPU is close to 200.  I can drop the GPU to 100 with a profile and all my fans drop to about half speed.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 09:11:37 AM »
I'll go ahead and say don't expect too much from me. Literally could not have come at a worse time. We have one computer in the whole house (excluding my work-issued Chromebook) and just last week has been shutting down for temperature reasons. I'm looking into an app for stats (I would like a free one if I can find a good one). But, overall, yeah, I gotta be sure I don't let it run too much. I'll keep chipping away here and there whenever I can though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
I'll go ahead and say don't expect too much from me. Literally could not have come at a worse time. We have one computer in the whole house (excluding my work-issued Chromebook) and just last week has been shutting down for temperature reasons. I'm looking into an app for stats (I would like a free one if I can find a good one). But, overall, yeah, I gotta be sure I don't let it run too much. I'll keep chipping away here and there whenever I can though.

For monitoring temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, and power levels I use the free version of HWmonitor.  It's a nice stand alone program that you run whenever you want to monitor stuff and it goes away when you close it.

If you want a temperature display in the system tray a free one I use is Core Temp, you can configure it lots of ways, but I have it start with the OS, minimize to the tray automatically, and display the temp of the hottest core.  Hottest core does mean the number is constantly changing but it's a good indication if any part of the CPU is getting too hot.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 11:05:28 AM »
Oh, and if the PC is shutting down due to heat get in there and blow out the dust from all the fans and heat sinks.  It should be done a couple times a year, more often if you have pets.  I had a guy at work bring me a PC that was shutting down, at first I was confused that the CPU fan was sitting on a solid block of aluminum, then I realized it was dust packed into the heat sink so tight that the fan blades were smoothing it into what looked like a solid metal block.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
So power on the GPU is not directly proportional to how much work it can do, setting the power limit to 50% saves about 90 watts and only increases the time to complete a work unit by about 15 to 20 minutes, or about 1/3 more time.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »

For monitoring temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, and power levels I use the free version of HWmonitor.  It's a nice stand alone program that you run whenever you want to monitor stuff and it goes away when you close it.

If you want a temperature display in the system tray a free one I use is Core Temp, you can configure it lots of ways, but I have it start with the OS, minimize to the tray automatically, and display the temp of the hottest core.  Hottest core does mean the number is constantly changing but it's a good indication if any part of the CPU is getting too hot.

I like MSI Afterburner for monitoring.   Monitors temps of both CPU and GPUs, usages, voltages, and a bunch of other things (like frame rate / frame time).  But it also displays it on a nice graph over time.  It's also what I use to overclock my GPU and set my fan speeds.  But you don't have to turn that on (in fact it's locked to begin with), and can easily just be used for monitoring. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 06:38:39 PM »
Interesting.  Haven't been getting any work units all day or all last night.  Restarted my computer, and I got a CPU work unit right way. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »
Interesting.  Haven't been getting any work units all day or all last night.  Restarted my computer, and I got a CPU work unit right way.

I think I got 2 this morning, then nothing until maybe 6pm.  The extra servers that have come online haven't really helped all that much.  Seems there are always a bunch of servers not working.

Link to the server stats:

https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 06:47:18 AM »
I hadn't received any servers all day yesterday. Last night, I just closed out, reopened, and got one right away. :\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 12:17:45 AM »
Just to see what it would do I stuck my "old" 1070 GPU in my PC, first time the power supply fan has ever turned on...

Looks like it will take the 1070 about an hour longer per work unit vs. the 2070 super.

Not sure how long I'll leave it like this, maybe just a few days.

I did a blender test since that's the only other program I know of that can use all your CPUs and GPUs at the same time, a render that normally takes about 5 3/4 minutes took 4 1/3 minutes.