login

Author Topic: ‘The Thing’ That Will Adapt Original Novel!  (Read 495 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 633
  • Riff Super Monsters
‘The Thing’ That Will Adapt Original Novel!
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:38 AM »
Bloody Disgusting,  January 27, 2020:
Universal and Blumhouse Developing New Version of ‘The Thing’ That Will Adapt Long Lost Original Novel!
Quote from: John Squires
As most are aware, John Carpenter’s The Thing and the film that preceded it, 1951’s The Thing from Another World, were both adaptations of the novella Who Goes There?, penned by John W. Campbell Jr. It was first published in the August 1938 issue of Astounding Science Fiction, and an expanded, never-before-seen version was recently unearthed.

Back in 2018, John Betancourt announced the discovery of a novel-length version of the classic novella, and he took to Kickstarter to fund the release of the novel, titled Frozen Hell.

Betancourt explained, “In 1938, acclaimed science fiction author John W. Campbell published the novella Who Goes There?, about a team of scientists in Antarctica who discover and are terrorized by a monstrous, shape-shifting alien entity. The story would later be adapted into John Carpenter’s iconic movie The Thing (following an earlier film adaptation in 1951). The published novella was actually an abridged version of Campbell’s original story, called Frozen Hell, which had to be shortened for publication. The Frozen Hell manuscript remained unknown and unpublished for decades, and it was only recently rediscovered.”

This week, Betancourt has provided an incredibly exciting update on the fully-funded project, announcing that Blumhouse and Universal Studios are adapting Frozen Hell!

“The movie will be from Universal and Blumhouse. Everyone is super excited about it, and it’s being fast-tracked,” Betancourt explains, expanding upon an announcement that was actually first made by producer Alan Donnes over on Facebook this past Friday.

Donnes wrote, “It’s OFFICIAL! I received my signed contract and first check! I am Executive Producing a remake of THE THING but with additional chapters of John Campbell’s groundbreaking novel, Frozen Hell, that had been lost for decades. Now, for the first time ever, Campbell’s full vision will be realized on the big screen. The new film will include the very best of RKO’s THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, John Carpenter’s classic THE THING and both books, Frozen Hell and Who Goes There?”

Just to be sure, we did some of our own digging and our sources have confirmed that all of this is true. And of course, we’ll continue to update on the project as we learn more.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: ‘The Thing’ That Will Adapt Original Novel!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:32:36 AM »
Hmm...not sure what to think about this. Not only is Carpenter's movie a classic, the original is a minor classic in it's own right. So they have a heck of a hill to climb. Also, part of what made those movies great was the relative simplicity of the plot, allowing for more character development. If the full length novel makes it more complicated than I wonder if we will lose some of that.
I think the smartest thing they could do is call the movie Frozen Hell, allowing it to stand at least somewhat on it's own to the general public.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1648
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »
Oh fun!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
If it isn't any good, we'll still have the other versions. And hopefully it's good :)
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1090
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »
I did NOT like the last version of The Thing, or as I like to call it... The Thing that should not be.  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3091
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »
I backed the kickstarter for the novel, still haven't gotten around to reading it, but have read some of the short stories that were bonus rewards.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »
I did NOT like the last version of The Thing, or as I like to call it... The Thing that should not be.  ;D

It's not great, but it's not terrible either. Entertaining enough. I really like Winstead in it.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1090
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 04:52:32 PM »
It's not great, but it's not terrible either. Entertaining enough. I really like Winstead in it.
That woman is absolutely beautiful. I loved her in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1648
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
Has there been talk about the possibility of releasing a version of the prequel before they CGI'd all over the practical effects?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
Has there been talk about the possibility of releasing a version of the prequel before they CGI'd all over the practical effects?

I don't think anyone liked the movie enough to warrant it, tbh.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 07:06:36 AM »
I doubt it. The closest you would probably get to that is watching Harbinger Down. A movie that Amalgamated Dynamics did to showcase similar practical effects after their practical effects were removed from The Thing 2011. Unfortunately the movie is not supposed to be that great plotwise.