login

Author Topic: Now Available - Street Fighter  (Read 340 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Now Available - Street Fighter
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:26:12 PM »

https://www.rifftrax.com/street-fighter

“Hadouken!” “Shoryuken!” Perhaps the two most iconic special moves from the classic video game Street Fighter II. Will you see or hear either of these moves in Street Fighter, the film adaptation of that game? No! Were 90s kids disappointed by this movie? Very!

Apparently the makers of Street Fighter decided the basic structure of the video game - a fun, colorful martial arts tournament - would NEVER WORK as a movie. Instead, they plugged the game’s characters into a storyline about M. Bison - played by Raul Julia in his final role - trying to take over the world as a military dictator. Who needs karate-fireballs and exciting monsters when you could watch General Bison lay out his plan for a new currency, right kids?

Opposing Bison is Guile, played by JCVD himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme. Guile is the leader of some sort of Allied Nations military group because sure, why not. Joining him is Chun Li, except now she’s a TV news reporter, and E. Honda, who is now a Hawaiian sumo wrestler and part-time news cameraman. Also Ryu and Ken are there, as gun smugglers dispensing lame quips instead of the aforementioned Hadoukens and Shoryukens.

See the movie that had kids everywhere saying “Mommy, is that sickly looking guy really supposed to be Blanka? Can I go sit in the lobby and cry?” Smash a car with a lead pipe in the bonus stage and join Mike, Kevin and Bill for Street Fighter!

Written by:
Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Conor Lastowka, Sean Thomason

Contributing Writers:
Jason Miller, Zachary Shatzer

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 57
Re: Now Available - Street Fighter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
The riff MP3 is listed at 90 minutes. I have the Extreme Edition of Street Fighter, which is 102 minutes. Will this version work?  8)
https://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-Extreme-Jean-Claude-Damme/dp/B07FYS231G/ref=tmm_dvd_title_6?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:42:59 PM by CHF01 »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:51:40 PM »
I think you just answered your own question... unless the extreme version is just the same version and it has REALLY long credits (that's how Master of Disguise made it to feature length).

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:35:17 PM »
I think you just answered your own question... unless the extreme version is just the same version and it has REALLY long credits (that's how Master of Disguise made it to feature length).

Are you aware of theatrical and extended versions of this film?
The last sync line in the Readme file times in at 1:32:08...so perhaps the runtime listed on this page is incorrect?
https://www.rifftrax.com/street-fighter?utm_source=CTA&utm_medium=Video%20Hero
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:47:30 PM by CHF01 »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 04:47:27 AM »
Maybe.  Looking at the "alternate versions" page, it never mentions the "extreme edition", mostly mentioning some edits for European release. Nothing that would significantly change the run time., as far as I can tell.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
I own this because of the Kickstarter, but the Rifftrax app wants to make me purchase it. Is there an issue, or is there something that I need to do?

I've downloaded it to play the old way, just in case, but using the app would be MUCH easier.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 04:52:29 AM »
I own this because of the Kickstarter, but the Rifftrax app wants to make me purchase it. Is there an issue, or is there something that I need to do?

I've downloaded it to play the old way, just in case, but using the app would be MUCH easier.

I sent an email to Rifftrax support and this is their response verbatim:

Quote from: Rifftrax Support
Indeed we are having an issue with [Street Fighter], and our app developers are working on a fix. I'll let you know as soon as it's resolved. Apologies for the issue!

So we play the waiting game. Again.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »

I sent an email to Rifftrax support and this is their response verbatim:

Quote from: Rifftrax Support
Indeed we are having an issue with [Street Fighter], and our app developers are working on a fix. I'll let you know as soon as it's resolved. Apologies for the issue!

So we play the waiting game. Again.

And it's fixed!

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/1166142250109345792

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 04:38:27 AM »
I never use Amazon anymore and I'm not going to (nevermind why) and was going to rent this using Google Play. But that version says 102 minutes. I can't find any other place to rent the shorter version. Any ideas? I have Windows.