Author Topic: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
Richard if I were you I would NOT have that on my computer!  :D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »

Q

46 Points, 2 Lists, #1 RVR II

If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross...but it's not for the timid.

Wanted For Cosmic nuisance

Q is a recurring character and often an antagonist in the Star Trek franchise.  There are many Q but only Q is Q. The Q Continuum is made up of cosmic, god-like beings capable of altering reality to their whims and Q is no different.  Q initially arrives to judge humanity on their many failings but soon takes another role: teacher.  However, this is not a role that is particularly helpful to the Federation and to the crew of the Enterprise in particular as it often involves games and challenges with high and dangerous stakes and is never anything less than disruptive in the lives of those he appears before.

Though he rarely directly hurts people, he is not above using his powers for manipulative purposes and will allow others to die to prove a point, such as having many Enterprise members killed in forcing them to admit their weakness by making them face a more dangerous adversary.  Though Q’s role is usually antagonist, it often alters, whether it be for pranks and games or a greater purpose.  Sometimes Q even asks for the assistance of the Enterprise.  Q has also made many enemies and is often on the outs with his own people for his behaviour, demonstrated when he was made mortal and enemies began to close in on him.

Though the Borg might have been the most prominent adversary in the Next Generation and subsequent series, Q might have been the most interesting one.  While the original series seemed to have a dangerous mad god figure every other week, this time we had a character we could follow and build a rich story around.  In addition, the character has proven to be extremely malleable working both as a serious threat and a light-hearted trouble maker in different episodes without it feeling like these were different characters.  Actor John de Lancie plays the role well and it works even better with the chemistry between him and Patrick Stewart.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/96jPvL85MjM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/96jPvL85MjM</a>

Trivia
One Q episode that was never made that sounds amazing:

From Ronald D. Moore.
"I pitched a memo about a Q show.  The universe suddenly fractured, and there were all these bizarre things happening.  It was a totally nutso beginning – Picard is suddenly walking down [a] New York street dressed in his uniform but carrying a brief-case and wearing a fedora. He passes Riker who is pounding on the side of a building with a loaf of bread – that's Riker's job, to pound the side of a building with a loaf of bread. And a Klingon driving a taxi cab drives by and a knight in shining armor is the cop, all this insane stuff. All our characters are there and they are doing things that make zero sense and then the camera pans by an alley and there lying by a trash can is Q who is dressed like a homeless guy and he is mumbling to himself 'I used to be a super-being' [....] It's all about us trying to figure out that none of this is the way things are supposed to be and that nutty guy who is saying he used to be a super-being is actually right."

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »
So uh... Corbin Bernsen is a member of the Q continuum?

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2019, 12:07:15 AM »
Really liked all of Q's episodes (except Voyagers as he didn't really help the show that much).. All of TNGs and the 1 DS9 episodes were great! :D :D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2019, 12:21:05 AM »
Really liked all of Q's episodes (except Voyagers as he didn't really help the show that much).. All of TNGs and the 1 DS9 episodes were great! :D :D

Voyager had Suzie Plakson as a Q, that automatically makes that episode one I like, and the one with the Q that wanted to die was an interesting one, the one with Q's son was just meh.  Were there only 3?  Those are the only ones I remember.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2019, 01:45:50 AM »

Voyager had Suzie Plakson as a Q, that automatically makes that episode one I like, and the one with the Q that wanted to die was an interesting one, the one with Q's son was just meh.  Were there only 3?  Those are the only ones I remember.
Yeah those episodes were alright but didn't rank up to TNG levels in my opinion.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2019, 04:17:15 AM »
I’m not exactly sure when voyager completely lost all respect from me but it was probably around the same time Q was wanting to get it on with Captain Janeway.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2019, 05:16:58 AM »

Professor James Moriarty

46 Points, 4 Lists, #6 Cole Stratton

You stand in the way not merely of an individual, but of a mighty organisation, the full extent of which you, with all your cleverness, have been unable to realise.  You must stand clear, Mr. Holmes, or be trodden underfoot.

Wanted For Being The Napoleon of Crime (Bonaparte, not Dynamite)

Professor Moriarty is a villain in the Sherlock Holmes short stories and appears in many retellings and adaptations.  Moriarty’s past in the original stories is largely unknown but Sherlock Holmes initially uncovers that he is the mastermind of a vast criminal empire.  In his first appearance, Holmes reveals to Watson that they have been having a battle of wits and that they are about to have their final showdown at Reichenbach Falls.  Neither man returns and it is assumed that both have died, though later Holmes returns alive, revealing the nature of their battle.

Moriarty is an elderly man who uses his network of criminals and intelligence, to protect other criminals for profit and has his hands, directly or indirectly, in every major crime in the United Kingdom.  Moriarty is also incredibly shrewd, with few people even knowing of his existence (Holmes himself only began catching on due to a random encounter with one of his crimes involving artforgery).  Though the character only appeared in two stories (the second one detailing his death), Moriarty is considered Sherlock Holmes’ archenemy with expanded roles in other media.

In most Sherlock Holmes stories, though the cases might be tricky, the villains usually don’t stand out.  Moriarty was quite different, much more of a supervillain than the average Holmes foe and providing a greater challenge, one that audiences believed did him in for good.  So it is no surprise that his role would be expanded upon in many stories afterward, written by other writers.  He is the perfect opposite to Holmes, similarly super-intelligent but using his intelligence for crime.  And while he left an impact in his initial story, what we don’t know allowed for wildly different interpretations of the villain with one thing in common: they are perhaps the only people who can outthink Holmes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JsiE8ABiztU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JsiE8ABiztU</a>

Trivia
Doyle lifted the phrase “The Napoleon of Crime” from a Scotland Yard inspector who was referring to Adam Worth, a real-life criminal mastermind and one of the individuals upon whom the character of Moriarty was based.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2019, 06:31:04 AM »
He was a pretty good villain on Star Trek TNG :o

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
He was a good villain so I'm surprised they managed to fool him into believing he and his wife escaped the holodeck.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
i liked in elementary how
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i thought it was a clever take. :)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2019, 07:41:23 AM »
I liked just about everything they did with Moriarty in Sherlock. I would list all that clever in that show but I don't feel like writing a 300 page post right now.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »
i liked in elementary how
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i thought it was a clever take. :)

and I loved the actor they cast for the role, wish they'd have been on the show more often over the years.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »
maybe they'll come back in this, the final season.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »
in the official Sherlock Holms canon ( the stories Conan Doyle wrote ) Moriarty appeared only once. Doyle became sick of writing Sherlock Holms novels and decided to kill him off, and the only way to do that was to create a character like Moriarty which would make sense that Holmes would be willing to sacrifice his own life in order to bring to justice. InThe Final Problem Holmes tells Watson his life is in danger because he foiled one to many criminal schemes of an organized crime syndicate run by a man called Professor Moriarty who was the intellectual equal of Holmes. After several assassination attempts against Holmes, a trap is set up by the police to capture Moriarty, but he evades it.  Holmes and Watson seek safety by going to Germany and going for a hike in the mountains. Watson is summonsed back to the town to take care of an injured hiker, but finds out it was just a trick to separate him from Holmes. He returns to the hiking trail, sees only two sets of footprints heading to a cliff above the Reichenbach Falls, and a note left behind by Holmes telling Watson that Moriarty followed him there for a final confrontation, but was nice enough to allow Holmes to write the note before they had their fight. There was signs of a struggle and evidence both men went over the side of the cliff, and no footprints leading away, so the story ended wit Watson concluding Holmes had died along with Moriarty.

For the next ten years Doyle wrote romance novels that didn't sell. Then finally he returned to Sherlock Holmes with the novel The Hound of the Baskervilles which took place before The Final Problem. It turned out to be his best selling book ever, making so much money that Doyle decided to resurrect Holmes. In The Empty House Holmes shows up out of nowhere to tell Watson he was alive, and had decided to fake his own death at Reichenbach after he pushed Moriarty off the cliff so that he could track down the last of Moriarty's lieutenants and wipe out the organization once and for all, the last one, Colonel Moran, who Holms set a trap for that night.  Doyle may have been dumb enough to think he would have more success writing historical romance novels, but was smart enough not to have Watson actually  witness Sherlock's death and having the alleged body fall into an area it could never be retrieved from. The ten year break Doyle took from writing Holmes stories is called The Great Hiatus, although in the stories Holmes returned after only three years after faking his death.

Because  Moriarty definitely fell to his death, there was no possibility of reviving him. And because The Final Problem was the first time Watson learned of the existence of Moriarty, there was no possibility of writing stories about him that took place prior to his death. There was at least one novel where Doyle cheated by having Holmes mention the criminals he was after worked for Moriarty, but otherwise the character never appeared again and was only mentioned a few times in some other stories in the past tense.

It was the Sherlock Holmes film series with Basile Rathbone that turned Moriarty into a recurring character. And unfortunately, that film series became more popular than the books, which is why everyone thought Holmes wore the deerstalker cap all the time and Watson was fat and stupid. And why Moriarty became Sherlock's Lex Luthor in stories and films written after Doyle's death. Even the excellent  Granada television series that attempted to be faithful to the original text couldn't help but stick Moriarty into a second story as the mastermind behind the Red Headed League, which never happened in the original stories.