Author Topic: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 09:14:25 AM »

Kilgrave the Purple Man

28 Points, 2 Lists, #1 George 2.0

You are the first thing, excuse me, person, that I ever wanted that walked away from me.

Wanted For Rape, coercion, murder, stalking and just being the worst.

Zebediah Killgrave, AKA The Purple Man, is a supervillain from Marvel Comics.  Originally an enemy of Daredevil, Killgrave was a spy who was doused in chemicals that turned his skin purple and gave him the ability to control people simply by speaking to them.  After battling Daredevil he became a recurring villain in the Marvel Universe, usually battling street level heroes.  He even helped Doctor Doom control the Earth for a while in the story Emperor Doom.  Killgrave also brainwashes the up and coming superheroine Jewel, controlling her and forcing her to live with him for months while he psychologically tortured her and raped her.  Jewel (AKA Jessica Jones) was later freed from his powers, and Jessica became disillusioned and left crime fighting behind to become an investigator.  Since then Killgrave has emerged multiple times, mostly to torment Jessica and her husband, Luke Cage, once more.

The character appeared on the TV show Jessica Jones as Kilgrave (one “l”) and though similar, he lacked the purple skin and had a different backstory.  Here, Kilgrave (real name Kevin Thompson) was the son of two scientists whose experimentation left him with a virus that allowed him to control other people.  Kilgrave goes through his life abusing people, until he meets the super-powered young woman Jessica Jones.  Proceeding to use his powers to control her, he turns her into his slave and private muscle until the day he forces her to kill a woman.  Jessica and Kilgrave part ways until Kilgrave re-enters her life and, now romantically obsessed with Jessica and hurting anyone who gets in his way.

Though somewhat different, both Kilgrave and Killgrave are absolute scum.  Caring not for the people he can control, he turns most people who cross his path into a victim and causes pain and trauma for most.  The Purple Man uses people as playthings for his amusement and very few have the ability to resist his ability.  In Jessica Jones, even after he dies he casts a large shadow throughout the series, even appearing as a hallucination to mock Jessica.  Tennant, who is unbelievably charming as Doctor Who, goes the other way and crafts Kilgrave into a perfect despicable misogynist who is the perfect incarnation of the evils that Jessica Jones has to fight.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F-ghFEBRUfk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F-ghFEBRUfk</a>

Trivia
In the comics, Killgrave is both more and less powerful.  His control can extend further and last longer but people with incredible willpower, such as Doctor Doom and Kingpin, can over come his control.  In addition, Killgrave’s victims need full sensory input from him (especially smell, as his powers come from pheromones in the comic), allowing Daredevil to resist his abilities (also, some heroes are smart enough just to fight him with earplugs).

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
Kilgrave is a good one. I totally did not think of that at all.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 248
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
Total scum - made my #1 for how much I hated him. Unlike some villains you can love to hate, I just hate, hated this bastard.

And I'm not usually bloodthirsty... but damned if I didn't pump my fist and cheer and used words that'd make a Nun blush when Jess did what she did to him at the end of the first season! I had so much pent up anger - and the show just drew it out ep after ep and made us suffer, so that when it finally came to a head, all that upset burst out of me.

Funny thing, when I was a kid reading comics, he was just a 2nd rate Daredevil baddie with a stupid name (The Purple Man... yeesh). Totally forgettable. Then Bendis got his hands on him...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:33:12 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 12:09:16 PM »

T-1000

29 Points, 2 Lists, #5 RVR II

Say... That's a nice bike...

Wanted For Trying to manipulate history in order to end all human life, impersonating a police officer.

The T-1000 is the villain in the film Terminator 2: Judgment Day.  The T-1000 is a specially designed robot made of liquid metal.  He is sent back in time, tasked with the mission of seeking out and killing young John Connor, the future savior of humanity in the war with Skynet, a supercomputer and his army of robots.  The humans send a reprogrammed T-800 to protect him but considering he is 200 less, the T-1000 has the clear advantage.  The T-1000 impersonates a police officer and uses its disguise to track down John, while the humans travel to Cyberdine in an effort to prevent the creation of Skynet, which seems to have happened via a bootstrap paradox.  Oops.

The T-1000 is an incredibly powerful piece of machinery.  Created solely for search and destroy missions, the T-1000 can shapeshift to disguise itself as people for infiltration and information gathering and even, in one scene, an entire floor.  In addition, it can transform its limbs to become weapons, usually stabbing tools and is immune to most forms of physical damage.  It cannot create more complex tools such as weapons or bombs, instead using disguises to get close to its prey for close range assaults.

The T-1000 was a revolution in computer graphics when he first appeared, wowing audiences.  Though it is old hat now, it still looks very impressive.  It also helps that the film uses his abilities creatively, making him a much different animal than the first Terminator.  Robert Patrick does good as the T-1000, making him sleeker looking and more ingratiating when he pretends to be human.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BXhF2nGEPPU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BXhF2nGEPPU</a>

Trivia
Robert Patrick trained in a rigorous running regimen in order to be able to appear to run at high speeds without showing fatigue on film.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:07:01 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Robert Patrick rules. I just got to see Double Dragon in a theater too, at a local B-movie recurring event, he rules in that. Naturally T1000 is one of the greats. Purple Man is cool too, going by the show.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
I voted for Kilgrave but he only came in at number 23 for me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2019, 04:06:40 AM »

Jabba the Hutt

30 Points, 2 Lists, #6 Pak Man

This Bounty Hunter is my kind of scum, fearless and inventive.

Wanted For Space crime, illegal dumping of bodies into sarlacc pits, disobeying leash laws for Salacious Crumb

Jabba the Hutt is a criminal in the Star Wars franchise.  While first mentioned in Star Wars, he first appeared in Return of the Jedi, where our heroes are forced to rescue Han Solo from him, after Jabba captured him for failing him on some of his smuggling missions.  The rebellion first sends R2-D2 and C-3PO to him as a piece offering and soon after Leia infiltrates his palace as a bounty hunter.  When the plan fails, Luke Skywalker comes in to save them. Jabba quickly figures out Leia’s disguise but has a tougher time with Luke, now having completed his Jedi training.

Jabba is a gangster and a giant slug-like alien.  In his first appearance, he seems to be unable to move for himself but other media shows him moving on his own.  Whether it is due to his race or mental will, Jabba is immune to Jedi mind tricks and is not easily intimidated.  He lives in a palace inhabited by his criminal army where he lives like a king, killing those who displease him, often fed to his Rancor, a giant monster.  Jabba is also constantly accompanied by Bib Fortuna, his right hand man, as well as his pet, Salacious Crumb.

Star Wars is full of weird aliens, but most of them are relatively minor characters in the original trilogy, outside of Chewbacca.  Jabba was the first major villain from outside of the Empire but he nonetheless makes himself memorable for his grotesque appearance and his elaborate murder methods.  The puppet still looks really amazing all these years later, and the whole section is probably the most fun in the film, adding some classic James Bond supervillainy to the franchise and making a villain who is fun to watch.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6xas6vKJcZw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6xas6vKJcZw</a>

Trivia
It took six people to work the full-sized animatronic of Jabba the Hutt.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2019, 07:06:32 AM »
Yay! Jabba made the cut! one of my favorite things about Star Wars is that there's a seedy underbelly even though it doesn't prominently tie into the main story until the rescue from Jabba's palace all the way in the third movie. It's there in the background at the Cantina and in Han Solo's past, but it's mostly there for flavor, which is part of why that universe feels so alive. Lucas may not be the best director, but the man could build worlds like nothing else.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »

The Cable Guy

30 Points, 2 Lists, #2 Cleat

You know what the trouble about real life is? There's no danger music.

Wanted For Stalking, attempted murder, giving out free cable

Chip Douglas is the title character and villain in the movie The Cable Guy.  Chip is a seemingly normal cable guy but when Steven Kovacs attempts to bribe the Chip to give him free cable channels, Chip makes him one of his “preferred customers”.  At first, they hang out and Chip seems like a genuinely nice guy, giving Steven love advice and being there for him.  However, it doesn’t take long for Chip to reveal himself to be something of a stalker, bullying his new friend and becoming overly attached.  Soon, Chip is dismantling Steven’s life for trying to back out of their friendship, eventually forcing a violent confrontation between the two.

Chip Douglas is not the Cable Guy’s real name.  It remains a mystery, as he constantly uses aliases from TV such as Chip Douglas (My Three Sons) and Larry Tate (Bewitched).  It seems he was fired from his job some time ago for stalking customers and has been posing as a Cable Guy ever since in order to meet new “friends”.  Chip is manipulative and constantly tricks people around Steven into thinking Chip is the victim in a given situation.  In addition, he seems to have a lot of allies in the form of “preferred customers”, who seem to be on his side in ruining Steven.  The Cable Guy later reveals that a lack of good parenting warped him, with his only real attachments and understanding of the world originating from television.

Its been a long time since I’ve seen this one, but I remember this as being one of Jim Carrey’s more underrated films.  Even at the time I usually wasn’t into black comedy’s but I was really engaged with this one.  I think it helps that the Cable Guy is really bizarrely tragic, as dangerous as he is, someone so desperately lonely that he’ll do anything to make a friend, including making people’s lives a living Hell.  Jim Carrey is still providing his broad style of humour but it really works here.  Interestingly, this originally was going to star Chris Farley, which also would have been a great role for him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DtgKqQkglyY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DtgKqQkglyY</a>

Trivia
First time screenwriter Lou Holtz, Jr. had the idea for The Cable Guy while working as a prosecutor in Los Angeles, declaring that he once saw a cable company employee in the hallway of his mother's apartment building and started thinking, "What's he doing here so late?"   Strangely, despite this creepy impetus, the premise was actually intended to be a lighter comedy about a likable but annoying Doofus.  Ben Stiller, Judd Apatow and Jim Carrey decided to make it a comedy that was a tribute to stalker thrillers like the Hand the Rocks the Cradle and Cape Fear.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
That's it for today, but I'll make it up to you with four tomorrow!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2019, 11:11:46 AM »
Didn't even think about the Cable Guy :o
He would have been on my list if I did

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
The Cable Guy is a stalker and a psychopath. He's dangerous for sure, but I can't ever see him resorting to Hannibal-Lecter type behaviors.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2019, 04:11:30 AM »
#32a

Biff Tannen

31 Points, 2 Lists, #4 Cole Stratton

Since you're new here, I-I'm gonna cut you a break, today. So, why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?

Wanted For Attempted Rape, distorting the space-time continuum to create a decadent Hellscape in his image, speeding

Biff Tannen is a recurring character in the Back to the Future film series.  In the first film, Biff is a bully who torment’s Marty McFly’s father.  After travelling in time, Marty meets young Biff, and immediately gets on his bad side.  Marty ends up teaching his father how to stand up to Biff and he eventually changes their future so that Biff is a sniveling toady to Marty’s dad.  Later on, Marty finds a sports almanac in the future with the hope of making some money and it lands in the hands of an elderly Biff.  Biff uses it and Doc Brown’s time machine to change history and make him a wealthy and influential man who turns his home town into his personal playground.

Biff Tannen is a classic bully: rough, mean, loves to pick on the weak and is quite stupid.  He spends his time picking on George McFly, even when they are both grown men.  Biff is often accompanied by his bully friends Match, Skinhead and 3-D who back up his muscle.  Biff isn’t the only Tannen to torment his small town of Hill Valley, as the town was initially tormented by the cowboy outlaw Buford “Mad Dog” Tannen during the founding of the town and in the future by Biff’s grandson Griff.  Biff also has a habit of misusing common “clever” idioms, removing any wordplay that was intended to be used.  Despite his stupidity, his bullying often proves effective and he remains a dangerous threat to our heroes.

Biff Tannen was played by Thomas Wilson, who has essentially become synonymous with the character, so much so that Wilson has a list of stalk answers for anyone who wants to discuss Back to the Future with him. Wilson also played him in the short-lived animated series and the recent series of adventure games (during the re-release.  Initially he was voiced by Kid Beyond).  Despite being quite pathetic, Biff proves to be a strangely legitimate threat to the space time continuum and while our heroes are stepping on eggshells not to disrupt history, Biff basically violently runs through life like a bull in a china shop.  Not only to Marty and Doc have to be gentle with time, they need to outwit a witless man, which should be easy enough, who constantly threatens to disrupt their plans with his belligerence, which is much more of a challenge.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b-KGR9lV05I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b-KGR9lV05I</a>

Trivia
Biff's catchphrases "make like a tree and get outta here" and "butthead" were improvised by Thomas F. Wilson.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2019, 09:44:46 AM »
#32b

The Cigarette Smoking Man

31 Points, 2 Lists, #4 Goflyblind

Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for.

Wanted For Redacted

The Cigarette Smoking Man AKA Cancer Man is a villain in the TV series The X-Files.  He is first scene in the offices of many officials early on and though he speaks little at that point, he quickly appears as the show’s primary antagonists.  Working for the powers that be (whoever they might be), CSM helps in orchestrating and covering up various government conspiracies.  Though his exact allegiances and motivations remain mysterious, he is someone who is constantly interfering with and/or trying to halt the investigations of FBI agents Dana Scully and Fox Mulder, who work on unsolved cases of paranormal nature known as the X-Files.  It is also known is that he is a member of an organization called the Syndicate, a secret organization in the US government that know the truth about the supernatural, specifically related to UFOs.

The Cigarette Smoking Man has been a longtime government agent, covering up government agencies.  He also assassinated several prominent public figures including Martin Luther King Jr (despite him believing in his cause) and Kennedy (for mishandling the Cuban Missile Crisis).  He seems to believe himself above the law but despite his cynicism and willingness to kill, he believes his actions prevent the toppling of the social order.  As his name implies he is constantly smoking (a habit he picked up from Lee Harvey Oswald) and eventually gets cancer, which he seems to survive well into the revival seasons.  The Cigarette Smoking Man is also a failed novelist of genre fiction (specifically espionage and science fiction), with his narratives constantly being changed or edited in ways he hates for being “unrealistic”.

The Cigarette Smoking Man is the shows ultimate symbol of mistrust of the government, a man who will use every ability at his disposal to accomplish his goals.  While Mulder and Scully have occasional victories, it seems like the Cigarette Smoking Man is not only one step ahead but holds all the cards, able to bury any story, discredit any source and threaten and kill without retaliation.  Of course, this might also be his personal Hell, as he has lived a life of constantly being in a state of paranoia, having to maneuver and outthink people he should be thinking of as allies.  He is truly an enemy of the truth.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0nnxMOOZ7_w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0nnxMOOZ7_w</a>

Trivia
When casting the role of the Cigarette Smoking Man, the producers had no idea the character would turn into a major role in the series. When the character became more prominent, they worried that William B. Davis, who had only been cast as an extra, would not be able to carry the part. As it turned out, Davis, who is one of the most respected acting teachers in Canada, impressed Series Creator Chris Carter so much that he made the Cigarette Smoking Man the main villain of the series.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
A couple of great ones I forgot for sure. Biff is really funny. Cigarette Smoking Man rules. I didn't love every episode of the re-launch of X-Files, but the episodes with him and the ol' fast-talking layers of conspiracies mythology stuff did it for me as always. (Also liked the comedy episodes.) Just a great villain really well executed, timeless and imagination capturing.