login

Author Topic: E3 2019  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: E3 2019
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »
Age of Empires 2 is coming back? Microsoft just won E3!!!!!

There's a HD edition available now, but this is the "Definitive Edition" with graphics that go up to 4k, some balance tweaks and a new, Mongol based campaign.

And they did a teaser for AoE IV last E3...

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4513
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 06:49:17 AM »
Did the Khajiit just smirk in the Elsweyr trailer?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 07:29:23 AM »
Loved the Cyberpunk trailer. The camera work was really good, like movie level good, not to mention the graphics. Very excited for that game.

And I was dead set on choosing a female protagonist, and probably still will... but I didn’t realize Aaron Paul was doing the male voice. He’s quite good. Makes it a tougher choice.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
is it the sort of game that'll have different outcomes? i know i liked kotor/kotor 2 a few times through because of that.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »
Okay, PC Gaming Show, which starts an hour later than listed in some places. And thank the lord, because Rifftrax's Twitch is playing Whizzo right now.

Our hosts are Day 9 and Frankie Ward. Day 9 played Mark in Julie and Jack BTW. 

First up from Rebellion- Evil Genius 2: World Domination. Looks very much like an updated version of the first game.

Vampire Bloodlines 2.  From Paradox.  With gameplay footage. Well, not a lot of it, and still kinda cinematic. "Walking" isn't really gameplay.  First quarter of next year.  I have some issues here, but we'll see how it turns out.

Starmancer, from Chucklefish. "It's basically Dwarf Mountain in space."

Chivalry 2  from Torn Banner and Trip Wire. Medieval combat and a sequel to the first Chivalry game. Team based. Next year.

Pretty sure the announcer is the narrator from Darkest Dungeon, BTW.

"Mosaic. Out 2019" Also with Blip Blop, which is a less intense Cookie Clicker.

Midnight Ghost Hunt. From Coffee Stain. Be a ghost and hide from ghost hunters with proton packs. Or take them out with your ghost powers. 4 v 4 multiplayer.  Apparently developed and done by one man.  And once the clock strikes midnight, it's time for the ghosts' vengeance and the hunters need to survive until they can evacuate.

Unexplored 2. A rougelike with heavy exploration focus.

And now Samsung talks monitors. I'll check on Whizzo.  Whizzo just finished looking at a Christmas display and is getting refreshments. Back to Samsung. Curved 240 hz monitor. Available in July for about $400 for a 27" which isn't tremendously outrageous.

From Funcom. There's an open mike and someone seems to be moving furniture and trashcans. Mutant Year Zero Seed of Evil. Adventure/ RPG. July 30. Conan Unconquered. FPS. Out now. Moons of Madness. Looks Dead Spacey. Halloween.  All of these seem to be PC/XB1/PS4 releases, BTW.

Also from Funcom- Conan Chop Chop , which was not an April Fool's joke.  It's a chibi Conan game, that looks a bit like Gauntlet crossed with Don't Starve. Sept 3.

Last Oasis. The Earth had stopped rotating and you need to outrun the sun. The science seems a bit dubious here, I have to say. Sept 4rd release also.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Sci-fi 4x planet builder from the Age of Wonders folks.  Aug 6. There are mecha and dinosaur cavalry forces.

From the Sniper Elite folks- It's 1946. You've cast Hitler into Hell, but his demonic forces still roam Europe. Not quite sure what the Asian looking woman is doing in Europe at that time. I'd think being identified as part of the Axis might not be the best idea for survival at the time.  Zombie Army 4. Later this year.

From Perfect World.  Remnant from the Ashes. August 20. You're fighting Treants and plant things.

Griftlands- a deck building roguelike set in a dystopian sci-fi world. Epic Store exclusive. Alpha in July. Looks a bit Slay the Spire-ish.

Planet Zoo, from the Planet Coaster folks. There's a zoo AND IT'S THE SIZE OF A PLANET! Or it's just a normal zoo that you're running. (Quick check on Rifftrax. We're learning about boredom and turtles are about to be thrown. You ever going to riff part 2 of that, Bridget and Mary Jo?) Heavy emphasis on it being a modern zoo, with concentration on animal health and conservation. November 5.

Shenmue's creator arrives. Shenmue 3 has already been pushed back a few weeks ago. The graphics are not quite up to modern levels, but I don't think anyone who wants to play Shenmue cares. November 19. And I think I heard Liam O'Brien in there.

Coffee Stain and Lava Potion Studios. A game based on Heroes and Might and Magic style gameplay. Songs of Conquest

Warhammer Vermintide 2. It's already out. But a new update will allow you to play ass the Skaven in a versus mode, ala Left 4 Dead.  And it's Bayta. Not Bee-tah.

Per Aspera. You're an AI orbiting Mars trying to terraform it. Hmm. Terraformed Mars has water in the same places as it does in Surviving Mars' map does.

For our next game, it's a humanity simulator. Try and take your group of great apes up to Lucy. Ancestors. August 27

Epic gives an ad showing off their exclusives which include "Untitled Goose Game" ... and Auto Chess. What the hell? That was a DOTA mod! Oh, Steam's not going to like that. (Although Blizzard is probably laughing.)

A "love letter to classic RPGs."  Oh, like Starflight or Wizardry? Oh, no. Like Chrono Cross, I guess. You play in the present, trying to effect the future.  Cristales. 2020.

Valfaris. You've got a very big gun and it's a side scrolling shooter/ Metrovania game.

Borderlands 3. It's still coming and doesn't really need a hype boost from me. September 13. Bakoom.

Frankie's in a shark onesie. This is a callback to last year's "Maneater" game, a game where you play a shark out to kill a bunch of folks. As the shark, you have a human nemesis in the game.  Can you launch an Italian guy in a boat into the air though? If you can't, not a real shark game. No release date yet.

Terraria. A game that I've never heard pf. Journey's End, the penultimate expansion for the game. Out sometime? The stream cut out.

Telling Lies, a similar game to Her Story. Watch videos. Figure out the story. Coming soon. "Very" soon. "On Steam" Hmmmm.

Warframe. And Space Mom! Space Ninjas back in space. And space combat. Empyrean. Full reveal on July 6.

Genesis Noir-a noir game starting with the Big Bang. Um, sure.

El Hijo. You're a kid trying to get to his mom but first you must escape a monastery using your toys and stealth.

Final guest- Sven from Larian studios and Mike Mearls from Hasbro. Baldur's Gate 3.  There will be Mind Flayers. It's still 5th edition. Oh, Sven says "Game Master" instead of "Dungeon Master."  While points for saying the correct term, but WotC wants their term used instead. And WotC announces that on Sept 17, there's going to be a tabletop prequel to the computer game, for Lvl 1-13. "BG3 will be out when it's ready."

And that's all. Up next- Ubisoft in about an hour.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:49:06 AM by Compound »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »
is it the sort of game that'll have different outcomes? i know i liked kotor/kotor 2 a few times through because of that.

I don’t think so. I think most of the dialog and motion capture is exactly the same. One of the great things for video game developers with the main stream acceptance of lgbtqt lifestyles, is that now your romance options for both genders of your protagonist can be exactly the same.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
Ooh. Evil Genius 2. Sign me up.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
It'll likely be more along the lines of Tomb Raider than Kotor. While there are different ways to get to the same place, you're still getting the same ending no matter what.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4513
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
I'm hoping it'll have at least some kind of character customization.  The protagonist seems kinda bland.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
While waiting for Ubi, one of the leaked things that likely won't show up elsewhere is that "Destroy All Humans" is coming back.

Also both DOTA and League of Legends are both making Auto Chess games.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:33:41 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
Ubi Conference. And pre-show, we get Ice-T telling me not to be a dick online? Do we gotta level up too, Ice? Yes, we still remember that stupid episode.

Preshow we also hear that AC: Odyssey is getting a quest builder pack this fall.

And here comes the trainwreck.  Except his year, we start with Assassin's Creed Symphony. No, it's an actual orchestral performance of the music from the series. The vocal artists have books of lyrics in front of them, which is odd as the lyrics are literally "ahhhhh" in the performance. That quirk aside, nice change of pace from recent years' "Just Dance" insanity. They're touring as well, starting on June 29. 80 piece orchestra plus a choir.  (Future Compound- 2 shows in the US. 3 in Canada. 6 in Europe. Not even hitting New York.)

Now to games.

London. "It's a mess.""We're buildin' a Resistance."  Anyway, London is a police state and you need to recruit folks to join the cause. Change characters around and if they die? Well, no respawns. Move onto another character. In the footage, we go from a soccer hooligan to old lady. And at least this is gameplay, albeit with the UI shaved off and highly scripted, rather than the cinematics that we've been getting in other conferences.  It's Watch Dogs: Legion. Grab any of the NPCs, recruit them and they'll join the cause.  All the cutscenes will change too. Lot more machine guns in London than I expected though. March 6, 2020

Next up- Rob McElhenny from "It's Always Sunny." He's talking TV. A TV show about games.. It's a show about folks working in an MMORPG studio. Oh dear. Will this be "Big Bang", "Bob" or "New Game!" in terms of quality? It's for Apple TV+ so it at least doesn't have to deal with a network. Danny Pudi from Community is in it, at least. We'll see. The promo wasn't too cringey, just "our boss is an egotistical jerk" in terms of humor.

Rainbow 6 Siege. New operators. New season starts tomorrow.
And now Adventure Time. Jake and Finn are being added to Brawlhalla.  Looks like Princess Bubblegum is in there too. Out now?
Ghost Recon Breakpoint. It's got a puppy! Instantly the Ubisoft become the best conference this E3 because of the dog. The puppy is there with Jon "Punisher" Bernthal. He's playing the bad guy in this. More drones with machine guns in this too. I detect a theme.  "Ghosts Never die." Um, Stone Cold assures me that it's angels who don't die. Also, solo players get AI team mates in this. Yay. October 4. Beta Sep 5.

Ghost Recon Delta Company. It's a community thing for Ghost Recon. Fans, Streamers, cosplay, etc.

And the Terminator theme plays.  I guess it's coming to Ghost Recon?
Splinter Cell! And a mobile format. Oh  dear lord. Whew. Okay, this seems to be a Ubiheroes mobile game, not a full game. Tom Clancy's Elite Squad.

Oh dear. It's the 10th anniversary of Just Dance. Someone played this for 138 hours straight? Dear lord! Oh, and the dancers are back on stage. November. And every damn year, this:

For Honor. Everyone's getting attacked by ghosts! Available until the 27th of June.

Rainbow Six: Quarantine. 3 player Co-Op. Didn't say much about it.

Back to DC and The Division. They're thanking the players. Aww. And until the 16th, the Division 2 is free to play for everyone. And up next, Agents are going on tour to save the nation. You'll head to the National Zoo, a Presidential Compound and a College. the college will be an investigative mission. In Episode 2, you're heading to the Pentagon. Yeah, that's not going to be fun. Episode 3, you'll head out on a manhunt and heading back to NYC. And there's a movie with Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhal. It'll be on Netflix. To quote Cartman "Everyone can get a show on Netflix."

And here's Ubi's sub service, Uplay Plus. 100 games, and you get the collector's version if there is one. $14.99/ month. Starts in September.Also includes the new releases, so if you want to, say, sign up for a month and play say, Watch Dogs Legion for that month instead of paying $60 for it, there you go. Also coming to Stadia.

There's a dead ringer for Robin Williams in the audience. Weird. Not game related. Just odd.

Roller skates. This is Ubi's Rocket League/ roller derby game, Roller Champions. Launches today. Well, for a pre-alpha demo of the game. So not actually launching today.

And the Ubi CEO arrives. He's here to announce a new project. It's about mythology. "When heroes need help, they turn to the gods. When the gods need help, they turn to you." Gods and Monsters. Feb 25, 2020

And that's it. We're dumped out to a Rainbow 6 celebrity showdown, hosted by a person who is not very good at this.

Well, that wasn't the usual trainwreck from Ubi. Nothing spectacular announced as well.

Up next- Square Enix.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 02:20:34 PM by Compound »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2019, 02:29:19 PM »
And thanks always for your coverage, Compound. It's an entertaining way to keep up with the presentations I don't have time for, and I look forward to it every year!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »
I'm hoping it'll have at least some kind of character customization.  The protagonist seems kinda bland.
Assuming we're talking about Jedi Fallen Order still, there won't be. They're literally considering  the protagonist to be a character in the setting. It'd be like trying to customize Lando. This is not KOTOR. It's closer to Force Unleashed.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2019, 02:52:28 PM »
Okay, addendum for Rainbow 6 Quarantine- this was originally a limited time mode in Siege, but folks liked it so they've spun it off into its own game.  It's a PVE thing.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
Square Enix Conference. Last of the evening.

And first thing we see is the Final Fantasy start screen. I think. Because the idiot cameraman is showing a wide shot of the room, and not the screen. Again.  But it's the FFVII Remake, which is apparently its actual title. It'll take up 2 blu-rays for the content. First segment is basically just getting out of Midgard. And now, gameplay. Realtime combat. Sigh, but we already knew this. Bars fill and tactical mode can be entered, which is much slower time. Barrett arrives. Tifa will be shown "soon." And Cloud and Barrett fight a Scorpion Sentinel. There's a weak point which you need to hit for ultimate damage. This is an edited fight, and it's still really long. And the SE booth will have demos. A long version of the trailer... and Tifa. And Barrett's kid. And Sepiroth shows up as well.  Part 1 arrives March 3, 2020. The ultra-deluxe version has a Cloud on his bike statue. PS4 only at the moment.

Life is Strange 2. The trailer keeps cutting to streamers reacting to the game,  which is cringey, and the streamers I'm hearing react to these trailers are remarking that this is very weird for them too. So, bad call there, SE. This is out now.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Really? Huh. Didn't expect to see this again. For smart phones, Switch and PS4.

Octopath Traveler. On Steam! Now!

The Last Remnant Remastered. On Switch. Tonight! Did not expect to see that again either. And dear lord. This trailer is like 5 minutes long. July 12 release. PS4.

For the Switch DragonQuest 11. Which can be played either with modern graphics or in retro 16-bit style. 8- Bit? Whatever. This fall for Switch.

Indie games from teh SE Collective. Goetia. Turing Test Black he fall Children of Zodiarcs. Fear Effect Edna. Toyko Dar. Forgotton Anne.  Boundless. I'm missing a bunch. This year- Battalion 1944. 2020- it's cars! Mexican cars! And top down racing.  With pit stops and stuff. Circuit Superstars,

The aforementioned Battalion 1944. Multiplayer team based WW 2 combat. I guess World War 2 did technically have a deathmatch mode.  Available now on Steam.

SE Music. Available on streaming services now.

Some Kingdom Hearts stuff, with no dialog. Or context. Anyway, the DLC REmind comes this winter.

Dragonquest Builders 2. Um. I typed a lot more about this earlier. But bizarrely it's moved down here somehow. PS4/Switch. 5 minute longer trailer.  July 12.

FFXIV Online. And the Shadowbringers expansion, out July 2. New races. New jobs. New stuff. Return to Westfall! Fight Hogger in a raid! Donate materials to the war ef... oh. wrong MMORPG. The Warriors of Darkness arrive in game.

And Darkness in the room as someone forgot ro cue the next clip.

Techland. And a Metric song, so not a JP game. This looks very parkour and zombie-ish and It's Dying Light 2. Next Spring.

Romancing Saga 3 and Saga Scarlet Grace both arrive in the West for the first time. Steam/ Switch/ PS4 and Saga 3 is on Vita too. Soon.

FF Brave Exius gets a spinoff. War of the Visions: FFBE. Out sometime.  Looks FF Tactics-ish?

People Can Fly. Outriders. No clue about the gameplay. Next summer. It's future-ish. Oh, the developer is here to talk about it. It's a shooter. Probably 3rd person ala Buletstorm and Gears, which they worked on. But nothing actually revealed other than "It's a shooter."

Something about reincarnation. Lots of somethings about it. You're a watcher who dispatches spirits trapped between life and death. Oninaki. August 22.

Final Fantasy VIII. A remastered version. Yeah the old CGi in it is rather offputting to look at these days. Sometime this year.

And a Quinjet. Avengers. Tony, Thor, Cap. And the Golden Gate bridge explodes. Damn you James Ngyuen! Thor is quite clearly Travis Willingham. This is a cinematic trailer, but Crystal Dynamics is here to talk about the game. (The shown lineup seems to be that of the first movie. Hawkeye is MIA though.)  Original story, not based on the movies. Oh, and the cast is here. Troy Baker is Hulk. Jeff Shine- Cap. Laura Bailey is Widow. Nolan North is Tony. And Travis is indeed Thor again. Mercer better be playing a coffee store employee or something. Post-launch you'll get more content. Online team missions with an expanding roster. All at no additional cost. No loot boxes. No PTW stuff. (Glances at Marvel Strike Force, which wants $25  for the chance for a hero tonight.)  PS4/XB1/ Stadia/PC release. Sony gets early beta access and other stuff. More trailers. And Hank Pym with a raygun! Marvel's Avengers. May 15, 2020 No gameplay, but it seems third person.

And we're done. Nintendo has a treehouse tomorrow.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:19:08 PM by Compound »