Author Topic: E3 2019  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: E3 2019
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
Like mentioned above, EA is doing short streams for each game rather than a big conference. However, the net result of this is that there's going to be about 3-4 hours of EA, rather than a 90 minute presser. Sigh.

9:15am: Countdown to EA PLAY
    9:30am: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    10:00am: Apex Legends
    10:30am: Battlefield V
    11:00am: FIFA 20
    11:30am: Madden NFL 20
    12:00pm: The Sims 4

First up is the Fallen Order reveal with 15 minutes of gameplay.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8939aURV9Dc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8939aURV9Dc</a>

One of the bits of info is that since this is all canon to the current SW universe, you're not going to have light side/dark side choices like in prior games. You're playing a Jedi, so you take the Jedi choice.  November 15 release date.

Up next- Apex Legends. For the folks who missed it, Apex was the 3 v 3 Battle Royale game that EA basically announced out of the blue and launched the same day. They're taking a "We're taking our time with the next bit of content" approach, rather than Fortnite's "new stuff all the time!" approach. Double XP weekend right now. A new "elite" mode with cosmetics only available to folks who've performed well in the game. Season 2 will launch on July 2. New character (I'm not calling them legends, EA). A new weapon. New game modes. The new weapon is the L-Star assault rifle, which is apparently from Titanfall. Very powerful. Only available from certain drops. The ammo you get when you pick it up is all you get.

For gameplay, they're changing up stuff to make the process faster, and getting rid of certain items that folks aren't using, but with my knowledge of the game, the exact changes are Greek to me.  A ranked mode is being added with 6 tiers. New character- Watson, as played by John C. Reilly. Or perhaps not,  Watson is Space French and space female.  She's also a defensive character designed to cut down on the hyper aggression prevalent in most team games.  Watson's backstory is apparently that she and her father helped create the actual Apex arena. (Future Compound here- apparently it's "Wattson." Like the electrical measure. I have now gone blind since my eyes have rolled back so far in my head that they can only see the inside of my skull.)

Hang on. Evelyn is getting into her car over in Replica. Dear lord. The carnage.

Season 2 launches on July 2.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:06:55 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Up next- Battlefield V and FIFA. Note- I'm not a fan of either game, but in deference to those who are, I'll try to report as much info  as I can interpret without much snark here.

New map - Merita. (spelling?) Looks like a village in the mountains/ hills of Greece. Another map- Al San Dan, an expansive North African map with lots of vehicle combat.  And still more maps! This time we're getting close quarters maps for folks who just like to shoot folks immediately.  Other stuff- max rank increase, from 50 to 500.  Last map- Operation Underground.  It's a map set in the subways of (cough cough). It gives off vibes of the Left 4 Dead subway map, but with more guns. This is in October. The other maps arrive with chapter 4, which is Soon (TM). And a look at Chapter 5, which is set in the Pacific. An early look at the Iwo Jima map, which apparently involved the designers wandering around the actual island to map it out for the game. Not sure if I should be impressed by the accuracy or creeped out from the "let's have our game be as accurate to this real life battle as possible." Oh, and the US and Japan arrive in game in Chapter 5 in the fall. Also, private games can now be created.

A brief bit from the Star Wars Battlefront folks. More clone wars era stuff. "Because we all grew up watching it."  I will simply say that was not my experience.

Over to FIFA. An early leak shows that  FIFA 20 will have a street soccer mode called "Volta." (And no. It's going to be soccer throughout this.) And the conference starts in an actual urban court. Well, one that EA set up in a parking lot. I don't think they commandeered one in East LA. That might not end well. EA continues to show that their choice in music sucks as well. A quick jaunt over to the UK and a chat with folks from Manchester United. Sorry Arsenal fans. I have now exhausted my UK team knowledge.  Anyhoo, you can import any of the pro leagues into the street game as well. Numerous options as well. No goalie? 3v3 . 4 v 4. 5 v . 5. Lots of freeform options. Mixed gender teams as well. Clothing options as well. Play in jeans!

In the main mode of the game- gameplay changes. asdas faear wer aer er afae arg are as fd.   Oh sorry. Had an uncontrollable laughing fit there at the idea that EA was making big changes to their gameplay in the sports games. Alleged improvements in the AI, getting them to the ball better, giving the ball better physics and having them perform better away from the ball. More emphasis on the 1 on 1  plays in the game. Better experience in shooting on goal. Pass! Stop hogging the ball! You've got defenders all around you! Pass the damn ball! Sorry, these shots of gameplay are annoying me. Better penalty shots. Changing the pace of defenders. And a year from now, the players will be complaining about everyone of these issues still. September 27 release.

Oh, and Trevor Noah shows up to talk about his job of playing FIFA. "I do other stuff to support myself but FIFA is my job." Noah talks about grabbing the players who the other folks don't use so that folks don't know how they play.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:27:11 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
The last bit of EA's slog- Madden and The Sims 4.  But first a message for EA's "Play to Give" program! Don't be a jerk to other folks online!

Holy cow! First, they're talking about Anthem!  It hasn't been taken out to the woodshed and shot yet! Actual question- "Is there a future for Anthem?" I'll note that they don't actually give a yes or no response.

And now Madden. EA's choice in music continues to be awful. Madden apparently announced a lot of new features at the NFL draft. Which I was not watching for game news, for some odd reasons. New Madden features. "Face of the Franchise" - create a QB at a top tier college and go from there. (Not really a new feature, except for the "play during college" thing. And if you NCAA 2020 was still around, you'd still be able to do that too.) Scenario Engine. This will provide you with ways to improve players in the season.  Revised Playbooks.  RPOs. New formations. Ultimate Missions.  X-Factor Abilities.  No, nothing to do with mutants. Seriously, this sounds like the star player skills in Blood Bowl. "Extra routes" "Steady Hands" "Backfield boost" This does sound like EA stole ideas from Blood Bowl for Madden and I didn't think I'd ever type that.

All of that is gibberish to folks who don't follow football. Sorry.

One of the Steelers shows up. His name is JuJu. I have no idea who he is, but I just mostly follow the local trainwreck of a team. EA gives some Ultimate team codes to JuJu. Okay, seriously. You don't need to give a pro player codes. They can afford to buy packs for themselves. Barely.

More talking about gameplay changes! The stars will feel more like stars! Do quests to activate your ultimate ability! Seriously. This isn't a bit. "Do 4 passes of more than 30 yards to activate your Bazooka special skill." Individual players get special animations while they play. 220 RPO options in the game this year to reflect recent changes in NFL gameplay styles. The designer is apparently a former NFL player, BTW, which is kinda interesting. A bunch of players show up to gripe about their in-game ratings.

And boom. Sudden ending. Greg Miller does an unfunny Apex bit.

Over to The Sims. The next expansion already got leaked, but I'll pretend to be surprised.

Right off the bat- Sims 4: Island Living, There are dolphins! And mermaids! You can head out on the open water and I'm surprised that there isn't a sims Pirates game yet.  You can be a lifeguard. I will post the Blotto song later.

Talks about the Sims partnership with Mossino for real world/ in game items. Then they subtly hint that the next expansion is about magic and is called "Realms of Magic" Gosh. Never seen a Sims expansion about magic before.  This also likely means Sims 5 is next year and the magic pack is generally the last expansion for several Sims games.

Up next- Microsoft in about 24 hours.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:21:48 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
And since I threatened it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CBRJ6jQfap0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CBRJ6jQfap0</a>

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
Thanks Compound!  Much better than watching a video. Now I know that I don’t need to watch any of that.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »
Okay, Microsoft conference.

Ahead of the show, the pricing for the "X-Box on PC" service broke. It's $5/ 4 EU thingees a month, and you can convert your existing live sub over at the moment for a buck. There will likely be many more details later in the conference itself.  The beta itself is over here. If a game is going to leave the service, you'll also have the opportunity to buy it at a discount.  Metro Exodus is in the lineup, which up until now was Epic exclusive. hmmm.

And again, Twitch is 30 seconds ahead of Microsoft's own Mixer Stream. Weird.

So, here we go.  First up, straight into a trailer. Sci-fi setting, set on Halycon. From Obsidian, it's The Outer Worlds.  October 25th. Outer Wilds looks like Borderlands crossed with Bioshock.

Over to Ninja Theory, which got bought by Microsoft last year. A 3rd person combat/team mulitplayer game. Bleeding Edge. 4 v 4 arena combat.

More trailers. Ori and the Will of the Wisps. This still looks gorgeous. Feb 11, 2020

From the Minecraft folks- It's ..well, Minecraft Diablo? Or maybe Minecraft Zelda? You and three other people are running through Minecraft dungeons. Which is convenient since this is literally called Minecraft Dungeons. Spring 2020.

Phil Spencer from X-Box arrives. If he's wearing a gaming shirt, I can't tell which game it's for. "Over the past 2 decades, the number of gamers has tripled." 60 games will be shown today. 30 games for the game pass. 14 exclusives. And what's next. (i.e. the new console.)

More footage from Fallen Order. Our hero boards and takes over an At-At then runs into Forrest Whittaker from Rogue 1. Still November 11.

World Premiere- We're in the woods! and running from something. It's September 1996! Then we're searching for a kid in the woods with our dog! And...wait, Blair Witch?Really?

CD Projekt Red. And the crowd cheers. It's Cyberpunk. No gameplay, just cinematics but wow. Our little street samurai is in trouble. And a hint of cyber generation is tossed in and... it's Keanu Fucking Reeves in the end. And on stage. Bloody fucking hell. Looks like Johnny Mnemonic is back in Cyberpunk.  The crowd literally loses its mind.  And Keanu gives the release date and the gameplay trailer. April 16, 2020.

World Premiere- We're fishing! And building a really massive boat! Spiritfarer. Looks very wholesome

Battletoads. Yes, Microsoft has them.  Stop asking. The word Epic gets used a lot.

The Legend of Wright- a dungeon crawler that looks like it's hand drawn on notebook paper. Very unique looking. 2020.

Stop cutting to the audience, cameraman. Indy games. Here we go again. Pathologic 2 . Star Renegades. Afterparty. The Good Life. Cross Code. Creature in the Well. Riverbond. Blazing Chrome. Felix the Reaper. Undermine. Supermarket Shriek. Ikenfell. Night Call. LoTR Living Card Game. I missed about half of those.  All of those will be Day 1 XBox game pass releases.

And the Xbox Game Pass for PC, now with Halo. It's in open beta right now.  Titles shown include Gears 5, Metro Exodus, Prey, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein 2, Imperator Rome and over 100 titles by August. $10 a month. XBox Game Pass Ultimate with Live and game pass for console and PC. Today, it's just a $1. Yeah, some of this contradicts stuff above. Leaks were wrong it seems.

World Premiere- We're taking to the air. Holy cow! I think Microsoft remembered their Flight Simulator game! And it is indeed Microsoft Flight Simulator, back from the dead.

And ... Age of Empires 2? Huh.  It's coming back this fall in a remastered version, I guess.

Over to Colorado. This must be Wasteland 3. Now with Luchadores! And Killer Clowns! The whimsical nature of this trailer is not what I'd expect from the Wasteland series.

Microsoft added 7 studios last year. And now it's 8. Double Fine is now part of Microsoft. Tim Schafer steps on stage. Tim offers to make the next Halo or Forza game. Or even Excel 2020. And then we get a Psychonauts 2 trailer. Which still looks exciting.

World Premier- A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... And Legos. It's all nine star wars films in one Lego game. Lego Star Skywalker Wars Saga. In 2020.

And Dragon Ball characters arrive, speaking in moon language. Well, shouting in it. A lot of shouting.  New DBZ fighting game next spring.

Annapurrina. World Premiere. For Pete's sake- don't show a picture of the screen, cameraman! Show the blasted video! Looks very Groundhog Day-esque. 12 Minutes, An interactive thriller about a man trapped in a time loop.

STOP SHOWING THE AUDIENCE! THEY ARE NOT THE FOCUS!  Ugh.Way to the Woods. A deer and her fawn are heading head, guided by light.

And the new Gears. Which has a very artsy trailer which doesn't even use the whole "Gears of War" title in it. Sept 10 release. They show off the new Escape mode. And 3 WWE folks will be playing that mode later tonight. As a pre-order bonus, you get a Terminator pack. It's folk the new film, so, maybe that good?

And a new elite controller. They're quite nice, but my third party controller cost $15 new. 40 hour battery life on these though.

Dying Light 2. Next spring. Still parkour zombies.

World Premiere. Forza. And a sports car silhouette is on stage, which gets ignored for the new Forza Horizon expansion.,.. which is Lego based. Well played, Forza. June 13. Lego Speed Champions expansion .

And that Gears Pop!  abomination returns from last year. Still with Funk pops. It's a mobile game?

State of Decay 2: Heartland.  More story! Two different paths depending on which character is played. Available now.

World Premiere. Seeeeega. It's Phantasy Star Online 2 ! A battleship appears to be a raid boss! Next Spring! On X Box 1! Huh. That was unexpected.

And now Smilegate, Crossfire X. On Xbox next year.  This is a "first to console" thing so it might hit PS4 or 5 as well. Nice cinematics but no idea what you do in this. Looks COD-ish.

World Premiere- Bandai Namco. Tales of Arise. 2020. Yay. Tales. JRPG.

2k. It's Borderlands 3. Bakoom! Also, not just on the Epic store. Sept 13. And new BL2 campaign. RIGHT NOW.

World Premiere- Miyazaki and George R.R. Martin. With Martin's involvement, this will come out in 2046. Elden Ring. From Fromsoftware.

Phil's back to talk about Xbox going to the cloud. Project XCloud, which is... something?  Console streaming that uses your Xbox as a server. Okay anywhere. (I have no idea what this is.)

And the next console. "A console should be for one thing and one thing only- gaming." Oh thank lord. They heard us. No more "watch your TV on the Xbox!" Less load time! Less loading screens! 4 times as powerful as the XB1. Blah blah graphics specs. New generation of SSD. Cross platform play. It's Project Scarlett. Holiday 2020.

Xbox is 18 years old now. And Scarlett will launch with a new Halo game. Because Microsoft aren't idiots. And a new cinematic trailer which does have what looks like Elizabeth Berkley and a frozen Spartan.  And the Ringworld is broken. Halo Infinite.

Up next- Bethesda.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:37:23 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
The Cyberpunk Cinematic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LembwKDo1Dk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LembwKDo1Dk</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 04:12:21 PM »
Bethesda conference preview:

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
Bethesda Conference. After last year, this has moved from "OMG!" territory for many to "Oh dear lord, don't screw up again."

Here we go.

First up- a video of  "We love our players!" "You're not afraid to tell us how you feel!" And they see us! Oh dear lord! HOW ARE YOU INSIDE MY HOUSE?!?!

Oh, now video of game stuff. Can't tell if this is new or old. Some of it seems to be the upcoming Wolfenstein game.

First up VP Pete Hines. We'll see if Todd Howard shows his face. And, speak of the devil, here he is. Well, someone lost money on a bet there.  "We had 60 million players last year!" "Fallout 76 had some well deserved criticism."

But instead of dwelling on that, let's talk about Elder scrolls Blades! It's still in beta! And I'm resisting asking if you all have phones! It updates tonight! It's also coming to Switch later this year. And yes, they made a Switch Blades joke.

Now back to the trainwreck! Er, Fallout 76. There's a patch coming called "Wastelanders" and it will "change the game completely." Gasp! Human NPCs! Actual dialog! And a new main quest line! It's in the Fall. Also, there will be a free trial of FO76 from June 10-17.  And a new game mode. Oh dear lord. They're doing a Battle Royale aren't they? (head desk) They are. Fight to be the Overseer for Vault 51. ...I'm just speechless at this point.

Todd is back. "Everything we've talked about this year is free!" Just look at that Tommy Lee pic again.

Shingi Makami from Tango Studios.  He starts off giving a shout out to his staff in Tokyo. Their game- Ghostwire Tokyo. You're fighting supernatural baddies! Side note- this crowd is overly hyped about everything. Another person from the studio arrives, also not a native English speaker. (Future me- This is apparently Shingi's protege.)  "Our game is spoooooky." I'm not going to make fun of nervous folks who are trying to address a live crowd in their non-native language. Anyway, folks are disappearing in Tokyo  and it's up to you to find out why. And by disappearing, literally vanishing with clothes falling empty to the ground, mid-step. Looks interesting. Great trailer, but no game play in it. (Tango, BTW, are the Evil Within folks.)

Random players. "Add dragons to everything!" Can't really argue with that.

Elder Scrolls Online. Again, the crowd is about at a 20 on a scale of 1-10 hype-wise. "ESO is not a trainwreck!" seems to be the theme here. Oh, the new expansion's name is literally pronounced "Elsewhere." I'm a doofus because I never noticed that. In the trailer Khalissi's dwagun attacks a city. Thankfully a nearby dungeon party arrives to help out. And apparently cat people do not land on their feet when falling. More info at Quakecon.

Seriously crowd, stop "woooooing" everything.

Also at Zenimax, a new game! A mobile game. (sigh) But it's Commander Keen so nevermind.  Not going to gripe about an ID franchise coming back. Launches this summer.

"We at Bethesda love mobile games! Just like you!" Look at Tommy Lee again for a third time.  Anyway, Elder Scrolls Legends, their card game. "If you like other card games, try ours!" Literally what is said on stage. New expansion June 20.

Rage 2. Which was released a few weeks ago. New stuff coming, shown in the style of an 80s sitcom promo. They're adding stuff weekly if you enjoy the game.

Over to Wolfenstein. Two new games enroute. Wolfenstein Cyberpilot- a VR game. You're a French resistance fighter/ hacker using the Nazi war machines against them. This July. That wasn't one of the two games, BTW. First up Wolfenstein Youngblood. You play BJ's daughters in 80s France.  With a co-op feature. A bit confused as to why BJ's twin kids have different accents. This will supposedly be bigger than Wolfenstein 2 in size. July 26.

The other Wolfenstein game is coming from Arkane, the Dishonored folks. Black Reef, an island prison. There's Colt and Juliet. They have to kill each other over and over. "Deathloop" Um, not sure of the Wolfenstein tie-in? Maybe the other guy was wrong and the VR game was the second one?

Back to talking to random gamers.

And there was a computer crash on my end. I think all we missed was snark, me griping about the cameras, and Doom Eternal, which comes out November 22. There's a collector's edition, which will have a wearable Doomguy helmet, which will not likely fit most adults.

Unless they snuck it in in the two minutes I was down. No Elder Scrolls 6. No Starbound.

Over to Devolver. Sigh.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:00:32 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
Devolver. I am not a fan of their prior conferences.

We start off with a Robocop reference. And they're turning their conference into Devolver Direct.

First up from Media Tonic is a brightly colored  where you're racing through a lvel trying to save as many of your Fall Guys as possible. So, Pimkin crossed with Lemmings. Fall Guys: Knockout on PS4 and PC next year.

Devolver Bootleg. It's filled with ripoffs of Devolver's own games like "Enter the Gun Dungeon" and "Hotline Milwaukee." Yes it's real and 1% off on Steam right now

Carrion. You play the monster in a horror game. 2020

I will note that this does feel like a treehouse event. Well, if you ignore the gore.

And a light gun, arcade version, House of the Deady version of Enter the Gungeon. 2020. I would love for this to actually exist.

The Messenger Panic Picnic- out in July.  Side scroller. Ninjas on the beach. Looks like Giana sisters actually. The Messenger is a real game, so this might be real?

My Friend Pedro June 20. Rushing Attack with a giant banana. Again, no idea what is a joke or not at this point. (Future Compound- well, this is real. Comes out June 20 on PC and Switch.)

Back to the Robocop "homage" which transitions to a Terminator homage.

Well, that was a waste of 20 minutes, I guess.  Back tomorrow to start with the PC show.  And Devolver's replaying last year's Pre-pre show, which wasn't funny last year either.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:18:42 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 07:41:07 PM »
Oh, and a reminder- Bethesda has disavowed any connection to the upcoming Doom movie.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
And a side note- one of the main channels on Twitch that had been covering E3 when they ended their broadcast, they hosted a smaller streamer who they knew of, giving her 5000 more viewers suddenly and pretty much breaking her, but in a good way.  Rather heartwarming to see, especially when other channels started hosting her as well.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
And last bit of news for the day- ahead of the Squeenix conference, a release date.
Final Fantasy VII remake- March 3, 2020

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 09:52:16 PM »
I saw that on Twitter... I guess my mind is made up for me. I'm going to have to start saving up for a PS4.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
Age of Empires 2 is coming back? Microsoft just won E3!!!!!
FINE