Author Topic: Season 13 Update  (Read 695 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5402
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Season 13 Update
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Oh, sure, but to what extent.  I mean, Comet isn't a big network.  Netflix is probably the biggest streaming service and a lot of the other ones I can think of aren't available everywhere.  Amazon Prime, maybe?

Anyway, I love MST3k and it is a strong brand but I feel like compared to a lot of TV, it is an odd beast in its movie length and rights issues and what have you.  I'm not saying it can't be done, I just really don't know what the next move is.  I kind of think since they have the rights, instead of a season they do a series of specials they release on their own a couple times a year.  They could make a deal with a service and both sell them direct from Shout Factory and have them appear on a streaming service for wider audiences.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 07:52:28 PM »

And Netflix has a numbers-based belief that most shows only 'need' 2 or 3 seasons and then the viewership drops right off.

Yeah. Considering Netflix's axing habits within the last few years, I'm not too surprised.  I mean, Tuca and Bertie was a critical darling (deservedly so.  Seriously, if you want Rocko' Modern Life for grown-ass women, watch it) but they didn't even give them a chance to establish an audience.

But at least Joel was smart enough to make sure that he can take the show elsewhere following the cancellation.  Of course, the hard part is FINDING that place.  I hope it happens.  Worse comes to worst, the live shows are going strong and maybe they can start selling those to us.

The largest cash gathering in Kickstarter history...then the show gets cancelled after 2 seasons. Sad.

...Trump?

If I were, I would have said Netlfix cancelling MST3K was fake news  ;D

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
If there is a next set of episodes, I'm sure it will take some time. After all, how many years was it between the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy) era and Netflix?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3412
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
So word on the street (The street here being Facebook strangers) is the cast of the MST Live show went to see Jonah's standup routine, and during a Q&A Joel indicated that they're definitely going to get to make more MST3K and Jonah is definitely down to participate in it. It's far from an official announcement, which will probably come after the tour winds down, but it's something.