login

Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame - SPOILERS HERE  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Avengers: Endgame - SPOILERS HERE
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »
This is the thread for people who have seen Avengers: Endgame and want to discuss it with others who have also seen it. Or for people who don't care about spoilers. The early screenings start tomorrow, but I'm posting this today for those people who click a new thread without reading the topic first. This is your chance to remind yourself not to click this thread again until you've seen it. There are no spoilers in this first post. You're safe here. But beyond this point is a sea of posts that may contain spoilers. Here are some images that should take up a lot of space so that you don't see any spoilers if you find yourself here by accident:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:38:34 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Avengers: Endgame - SPOILERS HERE
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
i liked it. my bladder did not. though, having a cold open rather than post-credit scenes was a nice change.

just because i'm only the second post, i'm gonna tag the rest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
I loved it. Incredible. It was really great to see Pepper Potts get her own iron "man" suit. Then there was Cap getting Mjolnir, Black Widow dying, "Avengers Assemble"... OMG between it all it was almost too much for my little old heart to take. Very emotional in the final scenes. I did NOT expect Iron Man to die, so that spoiler I saw the other day was thankfully... fake. I'm also grateful that Captain Marvel had a very key role in the events of the film. Really, everybody did. I know this is going to sound kind of hokey but this is the kind of movie I live for.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:32 PM »
I'm sure there will be debates about how to optimize the trips for the stones.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 06:43:30 AM »
I'm sad about a lot of things, but I'm mostly sad that this seems to be the end of an era.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
Loved it too. I think there are sooo many great scenes. You have the standout stuff like Cap wielding Mjolnir, the whole last battle, all the epic deaths. But it's also really, really funny. So many great lines, and I'm forgetting a ton. From Ant-Man alone the whole "Someone peed in my suit" part. "Back To the Future is bs!?!" The cell phone bit with Hulk and the fans. I need to watch it again just so I can remember them all.

It was really great to see Pepper Potts get her own iron "man" suit.
Just wanted to point out this is comic accurate too. She's called Rescue. Pretty obscure, but I remember when Iron Man 3 came out that there were hopes of her becoming Rescue. Man, did they deliver.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »
The funeral scene was absolutely beautiful. For a while I was worried Captain Marvel was only in the first 20 minutes of the movie. Then when she came back and did her thing, totally laying waste to Thanos's ship, OMG that was effing glorious! I felt bad for poor Nebula. I mean that poor woman just can't catch a break.

There was one thing I thought about and I was like they established this one thing so it could work a little later, and that was that apparently Thanos can easily take a stone out of the Gauntlet and use it. Then later we saw Thanos was going to do his snap again and turns out Tony took all the gems out of the gauntlet already. THIS is how you do poetry in movies. You have Tony use the stones to snap Thanos and all his army out of existence.

I was a little apprehensive for a while about the whole time travel thing. It's like while you're watching a movie you're not sure where things are going and that had me a little discombobulated, but after I saw it all come together I was fine with it.

I'm so happy Cap got to go back to be with Peggy Carter. That was such a beautiful aspect of the movie. It was a perfect way to end Cap's story. I'm guessing now Sam is the new Captain America, right? 

There is just so much to talk about that I'm honestly still pretty emotionally overwhelmed by it all right now.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
i was just reminded of my favourite little moment: professor hulk in the battle of new york. *sigh* grr. *lightly smash* rawr.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
Also, seeing as how they brought back absolutely everyone for the climax, I was pretty thrilled. It was also awesome to see Spiderman activate "insta-kill" on his spider suit... LOVED that. When I heard Sam say "on your left", I got a chill down my spine and I was like HOLY EFFING SHIT it's about to get real here! The best part was that I never expected that all the Avengers would return that quickly... hell I didn't expect to see their faces at all in this movie except maybe in the last 5 minutes. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. The Russos really know how to build a scene effectively and use all their characters for some important, dramatic purpose.

I've seen one or two critics complaining about plot holes. Honestly, there's two things I have to say about that. For one, the story was so good that I can overlook plot holes. For two, if you really think about it, there might be a reason for this or that happening. The prime example I can think of is at the end when Peter goes back to school and Ned is there. Some people might be like "What, five years later Ned is still in High School?". Okay, for one, half the goddamn world disappeared, and that may also mean Ned and some of Peter's friends. If that's not satisfactory I would also propose that maybe with half the world gone the governments and therefore school systems are still trying to recover. So I guess I'm trying to say school was officially out for five years. I know that doesn't have the same ring to it as Alice Cooper's "School's out", but there you are.

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now but... now that I think of it Thanos died twice in this movie... because I guess they knew once wouldn't be enough.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:02:48 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
What a conclusion! I think every one of the 21 preceding movies had a role to play in this one. Everything fell into place beautifully, and the catharsis from watching all of the returning heroes enter the fray was immense.

I'm a sucker for a good time travel story, and it was nice to see it carefully deployed here in a way that won't leave it to be a deus ex machina in future Marvel movies.

Gamora's fate was kind of nebulous (as it were). They never showed her getting snapped, but she wasn't in the Milano when Star Lord and Thor were locking horns.

Gonna go for the No-Prize with the 2 plot holes that have been mentioned here.

I think Ned got snapped, so he went through the same 5-year jump that Peter did. So they're both still in high school, but there's going to be a mixture of people who got snapped going back to school, and people who didn't who are already in college.

I think the Super Serum slows Cap's aging, but he just added another 50 years to the tally. When you consider the fact that he's gotta be going on 140, he still looks pretty good.

At the end, I was like, "OK. He's not gonna tell us the girl was Peggy Carter, but we know. Please don't show us, I'm all out of emotional- Crud. They're showing us the dance."

Don't think I've ever cried as many bittersweet tears at a movie as I did during this one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:07:18 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
Well in fairness the Russo bros followed the rule of "Show, don't tell", and that's what made that last scene so incredibly beautiful and effective, even Cap can get his happy ending, and that was just... I dare say the most delightful scene in the entire MCU. You wanted to see Cap and Peggy together and for a long time it just wasn't in the cards, then all of a sudden opportunity knocks, and I couldn't be happier. I just hope Sam becomes a great Captain America. For a while I was expecting Bucky to be the new Cap but I guess that wasn't in the cards either.

I've been playing connect the dots in my head today, thinking about the big and little ways Endgame mimics Infinity War... there is of course the scene on Vormir, people turning to dust at the end, but I think my favorite one is where... I THINK it's the same actress? Who says "Something has just entered the atmosphere".

Aside from just being completely blown away and emotionally overwhelmed, one thing I HOPE people take away from Engame is this: Captain Marvel is effing awesome and totally worthy of my respect.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »
I'm sad about a lot of things, but I'm mostly sad that this seems to be the end of an era.
I really really really wish this was the end of this era, but not a chance in hell that a movie that males a billion dollars won't result in at least 3 more sequels regardless of what has been said/promised.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
There was never a doubt in my mind that the Avengers movies would continue after this. I mean yeah, obviously without Iron man and... probably without Steve Rogers. They still gotta take on Galactus, Doctor Doom, Baron Mordo, Fing Fang Foom and so on.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »
I would *love* to see a comic accurate Fin Fang Foom in the MCU, but I expect a better done Mandarin before we get FFF.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 12:44:23 AM »
I really enjoyed it, although I'm not convinced it was a great movie.

Still, I think so much of it was perfect.
FINE