4 (66.7%)
C
1 (16.7%)
D
0 (0%)
F
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: How 'bout we rank this Octathing?  (Read 860 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Re: How 'bout we rank this Octathing?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
I will also go on record and say the worst LIVE for me was Night of the Living Dead. They couldn't do anything to make the dead space there entertaining. and much of that movie was dead space.
Good to see someone else is as bored by Night Of The Living Dead as I am. I get why it's a classic, and important to the genre, but daaaaamn is it boring.

<john mclaughlin>You are both wrong! The worst live show by far was Sharknado 2!</john mclaughlin>

I liked the NOTLD one. Haven't seem Octaman yet, though.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
Haven't seen Octaman yet, though I have the ticket.  Of the RTL shows, Sharknado 1 and 2 are at the bottom of my list.  So bad.  Not the guys' (guys's?) fault.  I only bought SN2 because I'm a completionist and have to catch them all.  Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny's probably my favorite live show.  After that it's Jack the Giant Killer, Birdemic, and Miami Connection.  I agree with a couple of the previous comments about Manos.  I hated it at first but it's grown on me.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 03:46:41 AM »
Starfighters is one of my favorite episodes. Some of the best riffing comes out of these dull empty spaces in the movies imo. It was rock climbing in Lost Continent that hooked me on MST.

Yeah, Red Zone Cuba for me. I never understand complaints about bad movies for riffs :P

Red Zone Cuba is in my top five.

Agree with Darth G. Robot Monster would be a good one to reriff. Why riff something like Giant Spider Invasion or Space Mutiny when the originals are really great.

And, yeah, the Sharknado stuff was weak. Reefer Madness all the way for me as best ever (non shorts) live show.

Offline Anarchemist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 05:56:12 PM »
Starfighters is one of my favorite episodes. Some of the best riffing comes out of these dull empty spaces in the movies imo. It was rock climbing in Lost Continent that hooked me on MST.

Yeah, Red Zone Cuba for me. I never understand complaints about bad movies for riffs :P

Red Zone Cuba is in my top five.

Agree with Darth G. Robot Monster would be a good one to reriff. Why riff something like Giant Spider Invasion or Space Mutiny when the originals are really great.

And, yeah, the Sharknado stuff was weak. Reefer Madness all the way for me as best ever (non shorts) live show.

LOVE Red Zone Cuba and Lost Continent. All 3 of the Coleman Francis movies are high on my list. But the Starfighters, i.e. The Refuelers is one I really can barely get through. Of course the movie is bad--they're always bad--but I just never found the riffing very funny for Starfighters. The Skydivers on the other hand, brilliant!

EDIT-- I take it back; The Starfighters is hysterical, at least so far. I decided to give it another chance since I remembered it so harshly. 22mins  into the episode and I am finding it very very funny! The movie is just one long commercial for the air force. Or something. It certainly isn't really a "movie".

My fav Rifftraxes Live are probably Birdemic, The Room, Samurai Cop and Carnival of Souls.
I also like season 1 of MST3K. If Rifftrax or especially current Jonah era MST3K does any re-riffing, they really should redo more KTMA episodes. They did the Gameras and 3 others.   But I'm not saying Robot Monster couldn't be improved upon by Rifftrax or new MST (I know it could), only that I'd rather they pillage the KTMA episodes first
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:35:33 PM by Anarchemist »
Earlier today I severed my own head and attached it to the bell of this baritone saxophone.

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »
Octaman really needs Mike to dress as Jack Perkins or Alistair Cooke and introduce it.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 02:02:17 AM »
We really enjoyed the Octaman riff. I'm puzzled by all of the negative reviews. The second half of the movie dragged on a bit, but the riffing was excellent.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »

<john mclaughlin>You are both wrong! The worst live show by far was Sharknado 2!</john mclaughlin>

Also the show where the AC in the Belcourt broke. In Mid-Summer. That show was hell.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Anarchemist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »
Well I thought that was pretty damned funny. Unfortunately the movie and the riffing slowed to a crawl once inside the cave.
But overall I liked it. The movie was ideal fodder.
I have to admit, I kept thinking how much better this might have been if it were an mst episode--- edit the movie a little, insert much needed breaks from the movie in form of host segments--- This could be classic.
Still, I gave it a B and liked it
Earlier today I severed my own head and attached it to the bell of this baritone saxophone.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »

Also the show where the AC in the Belcourt broke. In Mid-Summer. That show was hell.
You could tell how uncomfortable the guys were. They did well, considering.

Another bad thing about that live show: the audience is almost inaudible in the video release.