Top 50 Fruits and Vegetables
0 (0%)
Top 50 Laurel and Hardy Films
2 (11.1%)
Top 50 Movie Soundtracks
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: April 06, 2019, 04:39:58 AM

Author Topic: Vote for the 116th List of Crap  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
Vote for the 116th List of Crap
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:39:58 AM »
Which one would you most like to participate in.  Poll runs for four days.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Vote for the 116th List of Crap
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »
Regarding detectives, are we talking a combination of fictional and non-ficitional? For example, for my list could I include Pikachu?

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 282
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:11:12 PM »
I thought I would have trouble making a list of detectives but whipping up 25 names was easier than I thought, and I don't even watch a lot police dramas.

I voted for biopics fwiw.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:02:29 AM »
I'm big on detectives... I've read a lot of mystery/det/sleuth type novels over the course of my life... so that would be easy. Though I'm not sure how my tastes line-up with others. It could be another LoC where I contribute a mere handful to the 50.

Biopics and scores and L&H are dooable

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 03:03:32 AM »
Regarding detectives, are we talking a combination of fictional and non-ficitional? For example, for my list could I include Pikachu?

Wait, do you think Pikachu is real?

Real detectives are allowed if you know any.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:39:05 AM »

scores... are dooable

Keep in mind,  the host said "Soundtrack" not "scores".  He/she may have intended that but there are certainly great soundtracks where the focus is on songs, whether it be all original Ghostbusters, all classics like the Big Chill or a mix of original and non-original, like Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World.  I'm happy either way, really, but they are different things.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:36:01 AM »
I assumed the person meant soundtrack album. There are three separate tracks for film which are mixed together. The vocal track for the dialogue, the music track for the score and songs, and the soundtrack for the sound effects. I once had a Disney Laserdisc that had separate music, dialogue and sound track as a bonus. Don't know why they call the records soundtrack albums. They are either the musical score or the songs from the movie, and occasionally some dialogue. I have never heard a soundtrack album with just sound effects. Soundtrack albums would be very doable for me. Sound effects? I doubt it.

Just one more point of clarification. The Top 50 Laurel and Hardy films is not supposed to be what actually happens during the movie, but a top 50 list of the film stock Hal Roach used to record their movies. For example, The Music Box would be Kodak R-37.6 fine grain 33mm black & white with a shutter speed of 10fps.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:42:17 AM by stethacantus »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
Hmm, it's a toss up between Detectives and Soundtracks. Since we just did a movie related list though, I think I'll go with Detectives.

Just one more point of clarification. The Top 50 Laurel and Hardy films is not supposed to be what actually happens during the movie, but a top 50 list of the film stock Hal Roach used to record their movies. For example, The Music Box would be Kodak R-37.6 fine grain 33mm black & white with a shutter speed of 10fps.

Ha, clever  ;)

Sorry, steth. Much like when Anais (Rest in Peace) did Beatles songs, I'd be happy to read the list, but there's no way I could participate.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
Sorry, steth. Much like when Anais (Rest in Peace) did Beatles songs, I'd be happy to read the list, but there's no way I could participate.

You never listened to any Beatles songs? That's too bad. I heard they had a couple of good ones.

Currently the goal is not to actually have this topic win the poll, but to promote L&H to the point where the members here actually sample a few of there films, preferably their good ones they made at Hal Roach Studios rather than the handful they made at the end of their careers.  With most of their films being 20 minute shorts, not much of an excuse to avoid them. Then perhaps one day there will be 10 or more members here who feel they have seen enough of the film's to participate in an LoC. If anyone here hasn't seen a L&H film and is reading this, then you are probably on a device that has access to YouTube. Go there, put "Laurel Hardy Short" in the search bar, then randomly pick something.  Odds are you will enjoy what you see.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:53:55 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:03:53 PM »
I need clarification on something. When you say soundtracks, does that also mean movie scores or just original motion picture soundtracks? Also, do the songs have to all be completely original or can they be on another album? For example, if a movie soundtrack includes old songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc, does that count? One more thing, do video game soundtracks count or is that another list entirely?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:11:16 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »
I need clarification on something. When you say soundtracks, does that also mean movie scores or just original motion picture soundtracks? Also, do the songs have to all be completely original or can they be on another album? For example, if a movie soundtrack includes old songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc, does that count? One more thing, do video game soundtracks count or is that another list entirely?

I can answer that last one - Top 50 Movie Soundtracks
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
You'll have to excuse me because sometimes when I lose focus I tend to just gravitate towards one word. In this case... Soundtracks.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
You'll have to excuse me because sometimes when I lose focus I tend to just gravitate towards one word. In this case... Soundtracks.

Don't feel bad, I wrote "score" because my mind automatically went to this…

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was the first soundtrack LP I bought that was all score, no hit song as was usual for the time (at least in the U.S.) I still own it to this day.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 04:13:46 AM »
It will be hard for me to choose between original instrumentals and collections of great songs.  I suspect I'll largely lean towards the latter since I feel like score is it's own list (which we actually did years ago), though there's one big exception for me.  Anyway, there's something to be said for a really good aggregation of older songs into a single album (and, in some cases, being improved by the movie itself via a new context).

Though we have done best scores and best songs from movies, this will be a new one.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 05:57:56 AM »
It's official, top 50 movie soundtracks for the win.  Cleat, take it home!