Author Topic: What did we learn!?!  (Read 1715 times)

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4231
Re: What did we learn!?!
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 08:28:15 PM »
I learned that in the future, stacking mobile homes in impracticle mobile home racks is apparently more cost effective than replacing mobile home parks with tenement housing.
Probably inspired by this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 08:51:00 PM »
I learned that in the future, stacking mobile homes in impracticle mobile home racks is apparently more cost effective than replacing mobile home parks with tenement housing.
Probably inspired by this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City

Ha, I was just thinking of that. Kowloon Walled City was the most densely populated place on the planet at the time. And it was effectively lawless, being entirely surrounded by British Hong Kong, which was in turn an enclave of China. Neither government was interested in sending police there.

What's sad is that modern day living conditions in Hong Kong are even worse, with many people living in "apartments" the size of American parking spaces. It's not even a problem of lack of land, as many believe. The government leases land to the highest bidder, and few of those bidders are interested in building residential housing.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 347
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
I learned that how to find common well known Easter eggs in old Atari 2600 games will either be wiped from the internet in the future or else people in the future just can't practice and perfect finding those Easter eggs in old Atari 2600 games offline before trying to find them online in life or death situations.

I don't think that information was lost.  It just didn't occur to the Sixers to look for it.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
I learned a movie can have nothing but cliched characters for the entire cast. I knew every single thing every single character would do before they ever did it. I was taught this was terrible writing. A guy that saw the genius in a Color Purple and Jurrasic Park should have known better.

I learned every single person in the Oasis that was capable of any extrordinary feat was already in the small group of friends the main character had. Except one evil henchmen, who had an easily circumvented way around his indestructable shield.

I learned Steve Spielberg watched Time Chasers and wrote Bob Evil into his movie.

I learned Bob Evil saw no reason to leave more than one inept guard to guard the only defense he has from an angry army outside his doorstep. Despite the fact he had a small army on hand to do so, and the most important job the army could possibly have was guarding the key to the defense.

I learned every writer should be forced to watch Austin Powers and, unless they are writing a parody, should never use an idea in it in their story (see above)

I learned the protagonist emulated a person with serious issues in trying to interact with people in the real world. I mean that guy needed therapy on every level. I view no one around him as an actual friend since they made no effort to help him, or gave up and let him be. He died with nothing but regrets and they stood by and watched him do it. I view the protagonist as an idiot for thinking emulating him was a good thing.

I learned the hero should have no sense of accomplishment by being handed a deus ex machina by a deus ex machina in order to out last everyone else.

I learned the moral of the story is: avoiding life by hanging out in a VR world 7 days a week is wrong, but avoiding life by hanging out in it 5 days a week is fine.

...no it !#$% isn't. He should have pushed the button and destroyed the Oasis. I'm still a little boggled that wasn't what it was building up to.