Author Topic: Now Available - Spiker  (Read 1928 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Now Available - Spiker
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »

https://www.rifftrax.com/spiker

The year was 1983 and volleyball was everywhere! Beaches! Family reunions! Multiplexes (provided you were there on the single day that the awful volleyball movie Spiker probably ran in theaters!)

Spiker tells the story of the men whose dream it is to represent the United States in the Olympic volleyball championship. It’s a lofty goal that requires sacrificing your career, enduring brutal training, and forsaking personal relationships. These men are, of course, idiots. But it’s all worth it for the shot to compete on the highest stage in something that dozens of people consider a legitimate sport.

You’ll meet all the volleyball hopefuls: Sonny, Newt, Catch, and several more who presumably also have terrible names. You’ll marvel as Spiker morphs from a dumbass Top Gun ripoff into a hamfisted cold war parable. You’ll wonder how on earth one movie can possibly contain this many scenes set in regional salad bar buffet restaurant Souplantation and—OH MY GOD, are they really going BACK to Souplantation?? They were just eating there!! I thought this was supposed to be about volleyball!!!

Grease up, crank “Playin’ With The Boys”, and join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for Spiker!

Written by: Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Sean Thomason, Conor Lastowka

Contributing writer: Zachary Shatzer

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Now Available - Spiker
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »
i think this movie takes the cake for most plot cul de sacs.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:52:54 PM »
Pretty sure this movie was nothing BUT plot cul-de-sacs.

Offline John Bradley

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 11:26:57 PM »
I liked the part where the apparent protagonist of the film effectively disappears after the first act.

I'm referring to Souplantation, naturally.

Offline John Bradley

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 11:33:34 PM »
Also, it seems like a sport/cold war film should logically end with Our Lovable Gang of Rag-tag Losers beating the Big Bad Russians to win Olympic Gold. I mean, haven't they seen one of these things before? Or did they just forget to film that part?

It's almost as if they were Subverting Our Expectations.

Offline CJones

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:32:15 AM »
Probably they just couldn't film in an actual Olympic size arena.

Also, they got utterly thrashed by Poland after that one guy quit. I kept waiting for him to come back, but the producers were like "Eh, screw it".

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
Ummmm...wondering how many of the plot holes/cul de sacs were caused by the riffed version cutting 31 minutes off the original?
Haven't watch Striker yet (riffed or un-riffed) and I'm not gonna beat a dead horse complaining about the continued practice of cutting content out of some movies for no apparent reason, but I know that continuity issues in at least a couple of recent releases were the result of what was cut (and what was cut in those releases was not due to any inappropriate material on the original movie's part).   

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 05:10:35 PM »
Ummmm...wondering how many of the plot holes/cul de sacs were caused by the riffed version cutting 31 minutes off the original?
Haven't watch Striker yet (riffed or un-riffed) and I'm not gonna beat a dead horse complaining about the continued practice of cutting content out of some movies for no apparent reason, but I know that continuity issues in at least a couple of recent releases were the result of what was cut (and what was cut in those releases was not due to any inappropriate material on the original movie's part).   

To original cut is 104 mins, and the Rifftrax cut is 87, so it's only 17 mins that have been cut, and I assume it's mostly this stuff:

Sonny wakes up in bed with an unnamed woman, her bare rear seen. Sonny gets out of bed, briefly showing his bare rear before getting dressed. Sonny later seen in a bathtub, no nudity. Sonny later strips to his briefs while on the team bus. Pam and Catch remove each other's tops, have sex, but shot from the shoulders up, no nudity.

They have toned down their editing a lot recently.
FINE

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
Haven't watched it yet, but the file I downloaded (medium HD file) is showing as 1 hour and 13 minutes (60 +13 = 73). 104 - 73 = 31.
Since I haven't watched it yet, I guess it's possible I got an incomplete download. Wouldn't be the first time.   
I totally get why they would cut the things you quoted as likely having been cut, but it takes a whole hell of a lot of those things to equal 31 (or even 17) minutes.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
Just downloaded it a second time. Still 1 hour 13 minutes/ 73 minutes long. (1 hour 12 minutes and 30 seconds if you want to be exact).

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
It could be the Rifftrax description that is wrong? I haven't picked it up yet, I'm just going by what they say it is.
FINE

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Perhaps only the medium HD version is 73 minutes and some of the others are in fact 87 minutes. Doubt it, but I guess it's possible.

And what the hell, I'll beat a dead horse after I said I wouldn't. I'm fine with cutting things (like nudity or excessive gore) that would possibly take releases over a PG-13 rating (if they were being rated) and even cutting scenes that are impossible to riff (some excessive gore, violence. and rape), but cuts in "She" (cut didn't really affect the plot but affected continuity and led to what I thought was a sloppy riff that was only possible because of the cut), "Pressure Point" (cuts affected continuity and plot), and "Kill and Kill Again" (affected some continuity due to a line late in the movie that made no sense due to the scene earlier in the movie that was cut that would have explained it and one cut scene that was very, very riffable) were all movies that were cut for no apparent reason (no scenes of nudity, gore, excessive violence, rape, etc.).

And Spiker (unriffed) is available for "free" streaming if you have an Amazon Prime account. Thinking when I get the time, I'll watch it riffed and unriffed to compare. 

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
The description says 87 minutes, but it's actually 72:30. I'm curious to know what was cut. I hope it was just endless shots of them eating at Souplantation, but the excessive amount of plots that seemingly went nowhere makes me wonder.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
I watched it unriffed prior to watching it riffed. There were 2 scenes that were cut that I get why they were cut. There was some naked butt in an early scene that was brief and the entire scene wasn’t essential to the plot, but cutting the whole scene (even the non-butt part) probably required about a 30 second cut. And there’s a scene about midway through with some implied sex at the end but no nudity- The entire scene is cut, but cutting just the sex at the end would have required about a 2 second cut. No idea why the other 30 minutes of the movie were cut.
Was it a better movie uncut? No, so I recommend watching it riffed and skipping it unriffed. But I thought some of the cut training montages (and there were several) and cul de sacs that were left out would have been very riffable.

Offline CJones

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
Was it a better movie uncut? No, so I recommend watching it riffed and skipping it unriffed. But I thought some of the cut training montages (and there were several) and cul de sacs that were left out would have been very riffable.

Do you mean the uncut version has MORE cul de sacs? Or that it resolves cul de sacs?