Author Topic: List of Crap #110: Top 50 Comedy Films Countdown 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold  (Read 23130 times)

Johnny Unusual

Yeah, O Brother means a lot to me (I really need to get around to Sullivan's Travels when I can find it).  It's funny and sweet and weird and it's just a delight.   And, like many Coens movies, very quotable.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HtxbIkfDDO4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HtxbIkfDDO4</a>

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1068
  • Are you now, or have you ever been, a Ford owner?
Damn! We're in a tight spot!

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

If you liked this, check out... Modern Times

Great Pick.

Partially to be informative, but also because it is high on my list but I fear it will not make the top 50, I would like to add Sullivan's Travels, in which a filmmaker known for comedies sets out to make a serious film based on a novel called "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" An unsourced blurb on the wikipedia page for the film states that on the special-edition DVD the Coens say their film is almost what Sullivan would have ended up making after Sullivan's Travels ends.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 166
  • We are the road crew!
Love the Coen bros., and I'm a dapper Dan man.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Oops! Typo! You accidentally listed the best comedy of all time as #43!

Anyway, thread locked.

Actually the best comedy of all time hasn't shown up yet... but yeah, your pick is #2 worthy.

I had it on my list... the opening bit with Hitler strolling down the street... just the memory of it puts me in stiches. And Benny and Lombard are comedy gold.

(BTW - I also had Safety Last, which was mentioned, but obviously didn't make it. So now I have 2 and an almost?)

Planes, Trains is pretty good. If my brother were on the forum it would have been his #1. I should have probably put it on my list in his honor, but that's one I figured the rest of you would take care of, and you did.

You didn't actually have it at two though, did you? Or it would be much higher.

I had Safety Last too, so don't count it out yet.

Sorry.  Safety Last was on 2 lists, but only rang in at 22 points.  The minimum is 25 points and 2 lists.  I wouldn't have mentioned this if Johnny hadn't already.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3331
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Oops! Typo! You accidentally listed the best comedy of all time as #43!

Anyway, thread locked.

Actually the best comedy of all time hasn't shown up yet... but yeah, your pick is #2 worthy.

I had it on my list... the opening bit with Hitler strolling down the street... just the memory of it puts me in stiches. And Benny and Lombard are comedy gold.

(BTW - I also had Safety Last, which was mentioned, but obviously didn't make it. So now I have 2 and an almost?)

Planes, Trains is pretty good. If my brother were on the forum it would have been his #1. I should have probably put it on my list in his honor, but that's one I figured the rest of you would take care of, and you did.

You didn't actually have it at two though, did you? Or it would be much higher.

I had Safety Last too, so don't count it out yet.

Sorry.  Safety Last was on 2 lists, but only rang in at 22 points.  The minimum is 25 points and 2 lists.  I wouldn't have mentioned this if Johnny hadn't already.

Fair enough - But because of this I'm banning anyone who voted for a Kevin Smith movie.
FINE

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 166
  • We are the road crew!
Zoinks, Scoob!

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1097
Fair enough - But because of this I'm banning anyone who voted for a Kevin Smith movie.
I've seen a few Kevin Smith movies including Jay and Silent Bob strike back, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything that happened in that movie. That's part of the reason
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I almost had a Kevin Smith movie. Like- it would have been #27.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6579
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
I haven't seen O Brother Where Art Thou yet. I'm with Russoguru, the Coen Brothers movies are hit and miss for me. Fargo, The Big Labowski and Hudsucker Proxy were a lot of fun. But Burn After Reading, Hail Ceaser, and The Ladykillers were complete duds for me.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
I haven't seen O Brother Where Art Thou yet. I'm with Russoguru, the Coen Brothers movies are hit and miss for me. Fargo, The Big Labowski and Hudsucker Proxy were a lot of fun. But Burn After Reading, Hail Ceaser, and The Ladykillers were complete duds for me.

Hey, you just said you liked a (neo) noir film. :)

The Ladykillers is mostly garbage. The other two are lesser Coens for sure, but lesser Coens are better than most.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6579
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!

The Ladykillers is mostly garbage. The other two are lesser Coens for sure, but lesser Coens are better than most.
I don't know how Big Labowski qualifies as noir at all. But I do love Roger Rabbit, which definitely is. So yes, on the rare occasion I can like a noir film.

I have heard that most Coens fans hate Ladykillers, so it didn't surprise me. I think the only reason I saw it at the time was because Tom Hanks was in it.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty

I don't know how Big Labowski qualifies as noir at all. But I do love Roger Rabbit, which definitely is. So yes, on the rare occasion I can like a noir film.

I have heard that most Coens fans hate Ladykillers, so it didn't surprise me. I think the only reason I saw it at the time was because Tom Hanks was in it.

The Big Lebowski is definitely a noir film - the Coens themselves call it one. It's basically a Raymond Chandler novel with a stoner in Marlowe's role.
FINE

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 470
Damn! We're in a tight spot!

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

If you liked this, check out... Modern Times

Great Pick.

Partially to be informative, but also because it is high on my list but I fear it will not make the top 50, I would like to add Sullivan's Travels, in which a filmmaker known for comedies sets out to make a serious film based on a novel called "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" An unsourced blurb on the wikipedia page for the film states that on the special-edition DVD the Coens say their film is almost what Sullivan would have ended up making after Sullivan's Travels ends.

well... there might be some other, I dunno, fan of Sullivan's. Just saying...  I might know of at least one here.

plus Johnny does tend to pull his If you liked this, check out... from movies that didn't make the 50. So if he didn't go with Sullivans it's still in play. Who knows, we might see it.

btw I forgot about -the great- O Brother. When I saw it on the list I thought, "Oh yeah, that is a comedy"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:21:07 AM by George-2.0 »

Johnny Unusual

I rather like Tom Hanks' scenery chewing performance in that and wish it was in a better film.

Johnny Unusual

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Caddyshack

34 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #1 RVR II

Danny Noonan has just begun work at the Bushwood country club in order to make enough money for college.  There he meets Ty Webb, a skilled and charismatic golfer who Danny begins a friendship with.  He also meets the high strung Judge Elihu Smails, director of the caddy scholarship program and tries to get on his good side in the hopes of getting a scholarship.  Around the same time, the obnoxious Al Czervik, irritating the stuffy Judge who vows he will never gain membership.  Al reveals that he's planning on buying the club and turning it into condominums.  Soon, their heated argument leads to a big game with a huge wager and Danny finds himself caught in the middle.

Caddyshack is probably tied for most beloved snobs versus slobs comedy.  The film is proudly and gleefully rude, crude and childish, with some pretty big league hitting comedic home runs and touchdowns all over the place!  (Can you tell I don't watch sports?)  The first film from Harold Ramis, the film is actually really popular among golfers with Tiger Woods stating it was his favourite film.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mFPjQhl1eYE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mFPjQhl1eYE</a>

If you liked this, check out... The Bad News Bears

Another great sports movie about slobs, this one focuses on a drunken Walter Matthau as  the coach of a little league team of losers.  Often imitated (including ill-considered remakes, sequels and a TV series) but never duplicated the film has both crude humour and a well-earned humanity to it that those inspired by it rarely get correctly.

Trivia Carl Spackler was originally a silent character in the script, in the manner of Harpo Marx, but after Bill Murray was cast, Harold Ramis encouraged Murray to speak and improvise.